iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AutoTune Carburetors

Started by double clutchin weasel, December 31, 2013, 05:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double clutchin weasel

I have heard and read a LOT of comments about Husy's AutoTune carbs, both here and elsewhere.

It is interesting that one can find such a varied opinion of said system.  The users' report everything from "sheer perfection" to "sheer garbage".  Of course, the reality, as usual, is probably somewhere in the middle.

Still, the technology is intrigueing...and more of its type WILL follow.  So, here are some of the things I've read.  Please add your comments and experiences to this.  Let's try to get a clearer picture of how this is working.

One issue I have noticed is that not all dealers have the diagnostic software yet.  Or, some who do have it may not be comfortable using it yet.  Obviously, that can cause headaches for customers.  The diagnostics are, perhaps, the most useful part of the electronically controlled engine.  Onboard testing and associated trouble codes can be very useful, if you have them.  But, it would be VERY difficult to diagnose electronics issues without the diagnostic tool.

Another issue I have heard a lot about is hot/warm starting issues.  One gentleman posted that his had loose carb mountings.  Another I found stated that the ground wire on the coil was not making good contact with the saw body (had paint under the connection). And, according to an engineer at the Husqvarna factory, there was also an issue with the tank vent, which was supposedly addressed by a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) sent to the dealers. And, finally, there seems to be quite a bit of variation in starting technique of the warm or hot saw.  Proper technique is probably pretty important!

One particularly confusing issue, at least to me, is related to initial startup of a saw when new, when the air filter is changed, or when the elevation is changed.  In one Husky manual, they said to run the saw for 3-5 minutes, at full throttle, with no load, to let the electronics calibrate.  In another, they said to run the saw for 3-5 minutes, at full throttle, under load, without dropping below 8,000 RPM, to let the electronics calibrate.  Then, I had a dealer tell me to let the saw run for 60 seconds after starting (every time), with the choke on, to let the electronics calibrate.  I don't know, but under certain conditions, it may not be practical/possible to do any of those!

Next week, I plan to contact my "inside guy" at Husqvarna, and see if he can shed any light on this.  If he can, I will post his comments here.

As I said above, more of this technology will be coming.  And, in time, I'm sure the systems will become so good that we will wonder how we ever got by with a manual carburetor!

More to come...
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

woodchipper95

Thanks for posting I hope to find some good comments on this topic (How people start their AT will be interesting) as I am strongly looking at a Husky 545.

:new_year:

Higgins

Quote from: woodchipper95 on December 31, 2013, 10:13:14 PM
Thanks for posting I hope to find some good comments on this topic

+1

I'm interested to hear first-hand user experiences, as well.  smiley_bigears

ely

sort of the same topic, i was speaking with my saw man the other day about getting a bigger saw, and he is a stihl man, he had warned me away from the model that stihl has with the self tuning carb... said he sold a crap load of them and had since got to work on all but three of em.

Rob5073

Quote from: woodchipper95 on December 31, 2013, 10:13:14 PM
Thanks for posting I hope to find some good comments on this topic (How people start their AT will be interesting) as I am strongly looking at a Husky 545.

:new_year:

I have the 545 AT. No issues. The AT takes a couple of minutes of cutting to set itself up but then it's good after that and it continually adjusts.

junkfxr

I love the way that my 562AT runs when it's running good. It cuts way beyond it's size. My biggest problem is trying to find a dealer with the service tool and software to work on them. Computerized induction control is on the way for  everything, EPA is mandating it because of emission levels. Might as well accept it and live with it and learn to work on it (and have the proper tools to do it with).

bandmiller2

Every new innovation has bumps in the road that will be ironed out eventually. That said I have enough of the old saws to last me til daisy time. May be good form to get a couple of the old system to last until they work the bugs out.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

double clutchin weasel

Quote from: junkfxr on January 01, 2014, 08:10:21 AM
I love the way that my 562AT runs when it's running good. It cuts way beyond it's size. My biggest problem is trying to find a dealer with the service tool and software to work on them. Computerized induction control is on the way for  everything, EPA is mandating it because of emission levels. Might as well accept it and live with it and learn to work on it (and have the proper tools to do it with).
You are absolutely correct! And thanks for echoing my thoughts. Having good service techs & tools are essential, however.
I can't wait for the next evolution of both the Husky & Stihl systems. As you said, they're awesome when they're running right.

double clutchin weasel

Okay...

I sent an email to the Husqvarna factory engineer this morning, and asked him for whatever tidbits of wisdom they could offer regarding AutoTune.

In addition to "proper" techniques, I also asked about the availability of the diagnostic software, and if/when the "next generation" of the system will arrive.

Whatever I learn will be posted here.

So, stay tuned...

Peter Drouin

So It's a good time to buy new  saws that don't have the AutoTune ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

woodchipper95

Quote from: double clutchin weasel on January 02, 2014, 11:37:11 AM
Okay...

I sent an email to the Husqvarna factory engineer this morning, and asked him for whatever tidbits of wisdom they could offer regarding AutoTune.

In addition to "proper" techniques, I also asked about the availability of the diagnostic software, and if/when the "next generation" of the system will arrive.

Whatever I learn will be posted here.

So, stay tuned...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

double clutchin weasel

The engineer at Husky acknowledged receipt of my emailed questions.

After a few pleasantries, he said he has passed them on to people in the know. So, maybe I'll have some info soon.

Incidentally, if you ever get an opportunity to visit Sweden, do it. I've been there several times. The food is good, the water is clean, the countryside is beautiful, & the people are absolutely awesome.

ET

I have the 550xp now for over a year. I also have hot start problems especially after refueling. Ive learned to set the choke but take the high idle off, start it, then hold throttle on high till it runs steady. Its a very light and very powerful. Sometimes it does not seem to be firing smoothly and other times it runs smooth as silk. I dont use it every day but at least weekly.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Spike60

Lot's of opinions out there for sure.

On one end of the spectrum you will find many opinions from many people; in almost all cases limited to the one or two units they have experience with. The other end of the spectrum is from a few people who have experience with a lot of saws. Like anything, the bigger the sample, the more accurate the conclusions.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

double clutchin weasel

Quote from: Spike60 on January 09, 2014, 03:10:10 PM
Lot's of opinions out there for sure.

On one end of the spectrum you will find many opinions from many people; in almost all cases limited to the one or two units they have experience with. The other end of the spectrum is from a few people who have experience with a lot of saws. Like anything, the bigger the sample, the more accurate the conclusions.
That is quite true.

But, if you have a bad experience with a product, that may be all it takes to sour you on it completely. If you only have one data point, and it is bad, then all your data points are bad.

If you spend $800-1000 on a chainsaw, and it does not perform well, it may not be the smartest thing to run out & buy another. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

As I said earlier, I have no doubt the technology will evolve to near perfection. But, if you're one of the unlucky ones who gets a lemon in the early years, it may not matter anymore.

As a member of management in an innovative manufacturing company, I know that people are often resistant to new technology. It then becomes the manufacturer's responsibility to make the transition as easy, and as risk free, as is humanly possible for the customer.

JohnG28

Very well put, I agree completely dcw.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Thank You Sponsors!