iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 562 problems

Started by junkfxr, December 31, 2013, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkfxr

I bought a Husky 562 back in May and it's one of the best running saws that I've ever owned, when it's running right. It has always had hot starting issues to the point of hot starts being non existent during the summer, have to let it cool down before restarting it. It also has a horrible off idle flat spot after it starts warming up, it'll actually die when you hit the throttle after it gets good and hot. I finally got fed up enough this morning to take it to the dealer that it came from, a full service dealer for Husqvarna and Stihl. I asked the owner if he had the tools and software to work on Husky's Autotune carbs and he said no, that he figured he'd worry about that when the need arose, that he's only had to work on one Autotune since they came out and that was a mechanical problem. I explained what was going on with my saw, he looked at it for a few minutes and found the carburetor mounting bolts were loose, got almost two more turns out of them. So far that has really helped the hot restart, we'll see how much help it actually was this summer but the off idle flat spot is still there as bad as it ever was.
    My question is, has anyone else had the same experience with their Autotune carbed saws and if so, what did you find to fix it? I have several other pro Huskys and Stihls, all with conventional carburetors, and have never had a minute's trouble out of any of them but the 562 is starting to really get on my nerve. Oh, almost forgot, I can't find any Husky dealer within an hour from me that has the tools or software to reflash or even run diagnostics. That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I haven't checked to see if any of the Stihl dealers have it for the M-tronic yet, I'm looking at a MS 362 pretty hard.
  Thanks in advance for any advice or solutions.

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Where are you located in VA?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

junkfxr

AdkStihl

The flat spot off idle is caused by too much pop-off pressure in the carb. The solution is to trim a few rings/turns of the metering spring, lowering pop-off pressure.
mweba did a nice video and can be found on the Tube.

The hot start issue can be resolved by changing your hot start procedure.
When the saw is hot, simply pull the choke out and push it back in without touching the throttle.
This will set the high idle and the saw should start much easier.
J.Miller Photography

junkfxr

Thanks. I'll have to look for the video for the carb fix even though I don't think that it should have to be done, should be right from the factory. As for the hot start, that's the way that I have always tried to start it hot but it doesn't work. My 346XP was horrible with hot starts also untill about 20 tanks of fuel had been ran through it but that's not seeming to help the 562.

AdkStihl

Hmmm, I've never heard of nor had hot start issues with my 346.
J.Miller Photography

junkfxr

Yeah, I got my 346 about a week before we got hit with a durecho and I spent the next two weeks breaking it in doing storm clean up, in 95+ degree heat. The failure to hot start was a welcome relief some days. Like I said, after about 20 tanks of fuel, there was no problem getting it restarted hot.
    I'm having some difficulty finding that video of the metering spring fix. Shoot, not having difficulty, just plain can't find it. Does someone have a link to it that could help me out? Thanks.

AdkStihl

J.Miller Photography

junkfxr

Thanks, I found the video late last night and cut three coils off of the spring this morning. It's still falling on it's face when I hit the throttle after it starts warming up. Not quite sure where to go from here. I'll have to think about it some more after I get through being ticked off at it.

tlandrum

next step is to open the notch up on the throttle blade 
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

weimedog

Did some of those early saws have ignition issues? 555's & 562's?
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

junkfxr

Quote from: tlandrum on January 01, 2014, 02:24:49 PM
next step is to open the notch up on the throttle blade
Nope, I refuse to do any more to it. There shouldn't be any problems of this type from the factory. This was supposed the be the greatest thing since sliced bread when it came out according to Husky. I waited for quite a while before I bought mine hoping that the bugs would be worked out. There is absolutely no reason to have to work on a saw right out of the box to make it perform like it's supposed to. I'm not looking for more performance, just to run like it's supposed to. And the lack of dealer support.... now I could get started for a while on that. Why don't the manufacturers make the dealers have the tools, software and training to keep their dealership status, just like in the automotive industry. I certainly hope this saw isn't destined to become an awful expensive orange and silver door stop.

beenthere

Vent your anxiety toward EPA and its regs, would be more aimed at the cause of the problem than the mfg. of the saws. Just my opinion as to why we see such auto systems on the market now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tlandrum

take it to your dealer that you bought it from if your not happy with it. either make them fix it or give your money back. too bad your not close to me or I could fix it if its under warranty and it would not cost you anything.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Andyshine77

There have quite a few issues with early production runs of this model. If you have an early production saw, it will need a few updated parts, and reprogramming. I'd want a new saw or my money back.

We can blame the EPA all we want, but Stihl has had no issues with their AT system. So the blame does fall on the manufacture in this case. AT systems were coming no matter what, just like FI. I've played with quite a few of these AT saws and they all ran stronger and better than their non AT counterparts, but Husky has some issues that need to be addressed.       
Andre.

junkfxr

Quote from: beenthere on January 01, 2014, 05:04:39 PM
Vent your anxiety toward EPA and its regs, would be more aimed at the cause of the problem than the mfg. of the saws. Just my opinion as to why we see such auto systems on the market now.

Yep, fully aware of the EPA's fault to the majority of headaches to do with anything with an engine since the late 60's. I was working as a mechanic, excuse me, a technician, in a Kenworth dealership in the mid - late 90's when truck engines were going from mechanical to electronic, because of the EPA, and it was the same nightmare except on a much larger scale. Saw manufacturers will eventually get it figured out but it's a shame that it's being done at the consumer's expense.
Quote from: tlandrum on January 01, 2014, 05:44:35 PM
take it to your dealer that you bought it from if your not happy with it. either make them fix it or give your money back. too bad your not close to me or I could fix it if its under warranty and it would not cost you anything.

Who knows, I may be down to see you, you're only 5 hours away. I reckon I'll start looking for a dealer that'll work on it next week but I already know there's no one within an hour of me that can.

Thanks to all who have offered any help.

hamish

The EPA has nothing what so ever to do with it at all. 
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

beenthere

Quote from: hamish on January 01, 2014, 07:51:30 PM

Hammish
It was my opinion, and you are welcome to yours.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hamish

Quote from: beenthere on January 01, 2014, 08:36:57 PM
Quote from: hamish on January 01, 2014, 07:51:30 PM

Hammish
It was my opinion, and you are welcome to yours.  ;D

I fully agree with having ones own opinion.

The EPA is a US entity, that has no power outside of the United States.  Product development and enhancement has nothing to do with the EPA.  Ethos of the manufacturer and competition in the market place is what drives it.

jacob j.

Quote from: hamish on January 01, 2014, 09:26:16 PM

I fully agree with having ones own opinion.

The EPA is a US entity, that has no power outside of the United States.  Product development and enhancement has nothing to do with the EPA.  Ethos of the manufacturer and competition in the market place is what drives it.

How come there are specific parts in IPLs and Service Manuals marked "EPA" or "EPA only"  ?

-Parts that aren't used in the same model destined for other markets. I would say that's definitely something to do with "product development"...

AdkStihl

Quote from: jacob j. on January 01, 2014, 09:58:48 PM
How come there are specific parts in IPLs and Service Manuals marked "EPA" or "EPA only"  ?
-Parts that aren't used in the same model destined for other markets. I would say that's definitely something to do with "product development"...

;)
J.Miller Photography

junkfxr

Everyone has opinions so how about a little known fact. John Deere actually pushed the EPA to speed up and tighten the emissions requirements on hand held tools then backed out of the hand held market after they helped push it through. Gee, thanks Deere.

hamish

Quote from: AdkStihl on January 02, 2014, 10:35:40 AM
Quote from: jacob j. on January 01, 2014, 09:58:48 PM

;)

They are marked as EPA or EPA only, so that the reader knows what parts will adhere to EPA guidelines.  By the law, failure to do so is punishable by law.  For Joe Blow consumer in the US this means little to nothing, but for manufacturers and businesses it does and can be detrimental.  Its your countries law you read it.
Certain non-EPA approved parts cant even be ordered by dealers in the US.  EPA parts are made for the US market that's all.  Its the manufacturer doing its best at appeasing a market.  Its product downgrading in many cases. Its applying a fix to keep the goods flowing, theres no rocket science involved.  The newer systems were not designed due to the EPA.  The parent companies ethos drove it in that direction.

junkfxr

The dealer has had my 562 for a week now so I called them this morning to see what was going on with it. They have replaced the carburetor, coil, fuel tank, and reprogrammed it. Told me that I can't have it yet, it's still not running right. Still waiting....and waiting......and waiting.

7sleeper

Quote from: Andyshine77 on January 01, 2014, 06:08:29 PM
There have quite a few issues with early production runs of this model. If you have an early production saw, it will need a few updated parts, and reprogramming. I'd want a new saw or my money back.

We can blame the EPA all we want, but Stihl has had no issues with their AT system. So the blame does fall on the manufacture in this case. AT systems were coming no matter what, just like FI. I've played with quite a few of these AT saws and they all ran stronger and better than their non AT counterparts, but Husky has some issues that need to be addressed.       
As Andy already said there are quite a few hard and software updates needed for it to be up to date. There are quite a few threads about the Husqvarna problems on the net. But I have not seen one yet from Stihl. And as far as I understood there is no update for Stihl MT saws! That alone is an announcement!

Thank You Sponsors!