iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tow Truck Do's and Dont's

Started by doctorb, December 31, 2013, 01:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Out to dinner with a friend a couple of weeks ago.  He drove.  He got towed off a Bank's private lot making the rest of the evening loads of fun.  I have a few questions about towing of autombiles.

1.  He has a rear wheel drive car/SUV and parked head into a space.  If he had backed in (rear wheels to the curb), would they have been able to tow him?  Would that have risked damage to his car?

2.  I assume that a tow truck must line up directly behind or in front of your car to tow you.  If lined up at an angle to the long axis of your car, when they pull you out of the space, wouldn't they strike the cars parked on either side of you because they are pulling you out at an angle?  How much space behind your car does a tow truck need to be able to pull you out without damaging adjacent parked cars?  It must be at least the length of the tow truck and about 2/3 the length of your vehicle, assuming you have standard sized vwehicles parked on either side of you.

3.  Will towing companies risk damage to yours or other vehicles just to pull you out of a space, or do they only select "optimal" candidates for towing for fear of the risk of damage?

4.  Are they permitted to "break into" your car to release parking brakes, put the transmission in neutral, or other such manipulations?

5.  Can you "lock" the steering wheel in a rotated position which would prevent them from being able to tow you from behind?

My buddy's pretty mad about the 325$ cash they "stole" from him and I told him I knew a place that might have some answers.  Your thoughts?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

lineguy82

They take the drive shaft apart to tow our work trucks when they break down...I don't have an answer for the parking brake question
95 chevy 4x4
Husky 562xp
Hardy H5
22T Countyline Splitter
...and hopefully a sawmill when the wife finishes college

clww

Most tow companies these days use a roll-back.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

doctorb

I got to see this towing truck, as we arrived at their lot just after his SUV did.  It was the old style, not the Jeer-Dan that I think you are referring to.  If by roll-back you mean the raised flat-beds that tilt down to the pavement, don't they still have to "drag" the car back onto that flat bed?  Can that harm the car?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sawguy21

Normally the driver would put the drive wheels on dollys to move it, if in a confined space he probably would drag it out to where he could easily access it. If the drive train is damaged, oh well. If your friend had cocked the front wheels, the driver would have dollied them and charged for the extra time and yes he is allowed to break in to release the parking brake and secure the steering wheel if necessary.
As far as damaging adjacent vehicles, the towing company would be held liable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Raider Bill

We get at least 3 tow truck involved claims a month.

Generally it's either the tow truck operator got lazy [1 dragged the car in park 3 miles on the drive wheels in park] or the car owner is trying to blame them for pre-exsisting problems like engine knocks or the a/c doesn't work anymore.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Red Good

Don't park where prohibited, assume you can read by the fact your here .
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

doctorb

Quote from: Red Good on December 31, 2013, 04:07:52 PM

:D :D ;D

Red Good-  my friend would probably take a few minutes to laugh at that.  The signs were actually quite ambiguous whether the towing was in effect once the bank was closed.  When we got to the tow lot, we saw identical signs.  I figured they were worded that way by the towing company for their own benefit.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Red Good on December 31, 2013, 04:07:52 PM

Towings a big business in cities. $375 cash money just this one instance. Maybe what 30 minutes work? Signs get worded like Doc B said a bit fuzzy or posted in hard to see spots.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Roxie

Most of those guys that police parking lots are paid by commission only.  Their income relies on vague signs.  If I were your buddy, I'd send a letter to the restaurant letting them know that until they fix their "parking" situation, you won't be back, and also that you"re gonna tell anyone who will listen to you about just how expensive it was to visit their establishment.

Say when

Red Good

Glad you took it in the spirit meant .I had a shop within 4 blocks of the stadium for a lot of years and my sign was very blunt, and still had to tow a pile of cars . Makes no one happy . If it was me and it has been many times I just cruise till I find something legal , a 2 or 3 block walk never hurts. :)
Stihl 211C saw
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

SPIKER

This is one of my pet peeves too, seem to me these towing companies are extortionists stealing money and working with the cops in many cases to do so...

BTW I have not been towed by them but know people who have been even while out of state.   Boss was towed in NYC was close to 700 bucks to get his truck back.   the transmission didn't make it back to Ohio from NYC...   4x4 was drug in park from a lot which was a pay to park lot.   Towing company and lot would not cover the transmission, it was NEW and under warranty & Dodge ended up paying for it...

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sawguy21

He was fortunate the factory covered it, the shop normally would spot abuse. I once worked  for a towing company, I wrenched in the snowmobile/motorcycle dealership they owned and also drove the three ton wrecker picking up stalls and illegal parks. I remember taking a client to his car in the impound yard, he was upset to find it unlocked. I told him there was no car we could not get into when we needed to, he was NOT impressed. :D
Some people get nailed simply because they don't pay attention, others deliberately flout the rules and play the odds. The reputable tow operators don't drive around looking to take advantage, they are paid to do a job same as you and me. The property owners are depending on them to keep their lots clear of unauthorized vehicles. Unfortunately the shady operators give everyone a bad name but most of the time if you are going to ignore the rules you will pay. Ignorance is no excuse in a court of law.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

LeeB

I got towed once because the driver got backed up and hooked on faster than I could run. Road with her to the ATM to get cash enough for her to drop the truck and let me on my way.  >:(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

doctorb

So I take it to be understood and acceptable that a tow truck driver removing a car from private property, with no other authorization except an agreement with the owner of the property and a liscence from the state (city), can legally break into your locked car?

Roger2561

It kind of makes me wonder how much money the property/business owner gets from the tow company for allowing their ambiguous signs to be hung there?  Roger
Roger

Red Good

On the other side , I wonder how much biz a legal owner loses cause his lot is plugged with  non customers , making it impossible for his good customers to have access.
Stihl 211C saw
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

doctorb

Roger - In his conversation with the bank (property owner), my friend brought up the issue of a portion of the towing fees being paid back to the bank.  He was told that was not part of their deal and that it does not occur, at least in their arrangment.

Red Good - I agree that losing business during business hours is a potentially real factor.  This towing incident occurred well after the bank was closed (9;15 PM).  The building was shut tight and dark.  That fact, coupled with our history of safely parking there on multiple past occasions and the less than clear messaging on their signs, was why this happened in the first place.

Corley5

The bank I do business with has signs about non customers being towed but I'm pretty sure they never do it because nights and weekends everybody parks there to go to the bars and restaurants in the area and there is no room for a bank customer to park to use the ATM.  I'd like to see some towing done  :)  I had to park in a handicapped spot to use the ATM the other night  ;) :D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DDDfarmer

This is why I like small towns... Tow trucks in town only tow cars/trucks when they are called, nothing random(that I have ever heard of)  There is a roll back truck in town but they don't just skid the vehicle on( unless it's been in a accident and just don't roll  ;D)  If they can't lift the drive wheels the dollies are used.  Small town garages don't want to loose customers to a poor job.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Red Good

Roger never heard of kickbacks to the property owner.  I see it as no diferent than any other form of trespass . Think about it as if you come out in the morning and you woodlot has 10 cars and trucks parked there and you can't get to work . I had people park so close to the door I couldn't get it open at all. And I am paying 4 guys to stand around ! Tow truck got there in an hour and the car owner never did show up . No sympathy .Sorry.
Stihl 211C saw
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

doctorb

Well, I didn't start this thread to argue the issue of towing.  If the lot is marked as private property and the signs are clear regarding towing of unauthorized vehicles, I have no problem with it.  I see both sides of this discussion.  Red Good, your posts read like a man who has been burned once too often.  I can't blame you, but I can't see this situation as black and white as you do.  With our long history of previously parking there and the ambiguous signs, we really felt we were OK.  Wouldn't have parked there otherwise. 

I still would like more information on what the tow truck driver can an can not legally do to your car to tow it.  Does he have a liscence to break into illegally parked cars on private property?  I understand if you're parked on a public street and have created a public nuisance.  There, the police will ticket you and call for the tow.  This is different, IMO.  Anybody know the rules?

beenthere

Don't know the rules doctorb. 
But if I found a car parked in my private drive, I'd think I could get into it legally to move it out of the way.

Maybe the Bank as owner of their lot can authorize the towing company to do what is necessary to unlock the vehicle so damage to the car doesn't happen when moving it to their lot.

But am thinking it would be a local or state law/rule, likely not universal law/rule across the country.

Probably has to do with private property laws.  Will your friend be finding out through the courts?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

I think you're probably correct, beenthere.  So many cars have alarms these days.  What do they do with them?.  Unhook the battery?

No, he won't seek any legal retribution.  He's an attorney!  And even he sees the futility of that!   :D ;D

Gary_C

Doctorb, I don't know the rules either, but I can tell you that as screwed up and plugged up as our court system is today, your friend is not going to get far pursuing any claim against the towing company.

If the sign was missing or was never there, perhaps you could get some satisfaction. But with a sign visible, any judge would toss your case right out and probably assess court costs to you. And liability insurance companies are way past the idea of paying to make small cases go away.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!