iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help choosing a mill

Started by drewsteele, December 31, 2013, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewsteele

Hi guys - Ive dropped some big redwoods on my property and have decided to mill them for the house that Im building. The largest diameter is about 36" most are around 26-32.
I'd like to keep the price down to 5-7k any suggestions?

thx!
Andy

drewsteele

This also might be a dumb question - was just looking at the Norwood HD36 and saw this in their prod desc -
"...up to 36" (90cm) in diameter, slice boards up to 28" (70cm) wide..." 

If the saw can cut 36" diam, wouldn't it be able to cut a 36" board?

Also just looked at the big ez boardwalk which will take 40" logs...any thoughts about comparing the two?

beenthere

You can roll on a 36" diam log and then Bibby it down.

But you cannot put on a 36" cant and saw a 36" wide board or slab from it.

Ask member Qweaver how that thinking got him into a bind.  Or better, don't ask as he may not want to be reminded. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drewsteele

Thanks for the reply Beenthere -

Help me out here - Im totally new to this - "Bibby" ? ; )
Also - sorry if Im being dense - assume a 36" cant is 36x36 square and assume that it woudl fit down the throat of the mill - why wouldnt I then have a 36" slab.

Any thoughts on the two sawmills mentioned?

hackberry jake

You wont be dissappointed with the boardwalk. I have the jr and have cut some good sized logs on it. Just be ready to have some help turning them. The reason a mill can handle a larger log but cut a smaller board is because the blade guides take some of that space. Once you cut a slab off all four sides, you can usually slab it the rest of the way down from there.Bibby means to whittle a log down to fit it between the guides.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

"Bibby down" (in honor of member Bibbyman)  explained some at post #249 in this thread too
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,58063.msg1063660.html#msg1063660

Quotecant is 36x36 square and assume that it woudl fit down the throat of the mill

May not have more than about 28" in that throat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drewsteele

awesome - thx guys!

Im loaded with newbie questions today -
So most if not all manufacturers list the diameter dimension rather than the distance between the blade guides - correct? When it sounds like the distance between the blade guides is the important dimension.

Hackberry Jake - I was looking seriously at the big boardwalk because of the 40" rating? Im now assuming that there is a smaller dimension between the guides? I'll have to give them a call to find out.

That said - overall and for the money - and considering that I have alot of redwood logs that are 30-36" which would be alot of Bibbying ; ) any other options in that size that are sub 9k.
I think the big boardwalk with the trailer package and a log turner can be had for around 8500...

thx again for sharing what you know! Very much appreciated.

andy

hackberry jake

Hypothetically say there was a mill with a 40" log capacity , but it only had 20" between the guides. You could still cut that 40" log on that mill because the first few cuts on a log aren't 40" wide. You cut boards off til the guides are about to hit the log, then you roll the log 90 degrees and do it again, and again until you are left with a 20" cant. Then you can do as you please with the cant.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

drewsteele

ic sure - so then what does the log capacity actually refer to? Is it the size of the bed? distance between the dogs?

hackberry jake

Its the size of log the carriage will swallow. Usually on 4 post mills it is the distance between the posts. I dont know how they figure it on those one legged orange things  ;D

drewsteele

lol - nice. 
ok - so I'll give the boardwalk guys a call for more info -

would still love to hear others opinions if anyone has the time to share -

pine

Look at some of the Timberking smaller models.  They have a rep for wide cut capability, but do not think even they can do that.  29" is the largest in the smaller mill I think.

Grandedog

Howdy,
What are the dimensions of your cut package, and can you move the logs around easily?
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Ianab

Large logs and manual band mills just aren't a great combo. It's not just the size of the log that you can clamp down, and the width of the throat (widest cut you can make).

You also have to consider how to move the log. And when you are up around the max capacity of the mill, you will be moving it frequently to "Bibby" it down to a more manageable size.

Now a 16ft x 24" redwood log might weigh about 2,500 pounds, but a 36" log is up to ~5,600 lb. Just sitting there daring you to try and budge it  ;) :D

Any chance of picking up a used Lucas or Peterson mill in your area? They usually have cutting capacity up around 5 feet, and you don't need to move the log. New they might be a bit out of your price range, but they are the sort of machine that's best for those bigger logs.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

drewsteele

I have a john deer 955 that I was able to lift the small ones and roll the larger ones with. Here are a couple of photos of the logs  where I was able to put them with the tractor. Was thinking that it might work with the log turner come along that the the ez has along with some ramps and the tractor. Im sure its gonna be alot of work - but I got to get them out of the way and milling them seemed to be the best bet and make for some good decking when Im ready ; )

The swing mills are a bit out of my range. Looked at them a while ago and actually saw a mobile dimensions come up for sale about 5 hours away from me for about 10k but it went fast.

Maybe I quarter the big ones with a CSM??

thecfarm

drewsteele,welcome to the forum. JD 955?? HP?? WD? Loader?
I have a manual mill. I have used my 40hp tractor to turn a few big logs. They can hit the deck hard. And I do mean hard. You want a good rugged frame to support the hard hits. I have no idea about price now. Seem like I paid $7000 for mine about 10 years ago. You will want at least one cant dog or peavey. Logrite is a sponsor on the left. They make a very nice product. I have been able to turn a log,but needed both hands to keep it in place. I had to get the wife to dog in the log for me.
I have no idea your time frame,but there will be some shows in spring,summer that will have sawmills to see in action.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drewsteele

thx thecfarm -

ya its a loader with a hoe - 30 or so HP. Will lift about 1500# After that Im rolling em.
Im in northern California - Any shows in my area?

Ianab

A big Chainsaw and a guide like this would get the job done and you could quarter those bigger ones into something even a "hobby" size mill could handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XiGhMTnVUs

A bit more work for sure, but at least you could do it within your budget.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

mad murdock

Go visit baileys. They are not too far from you. That will give you a chance to see some CSM's in action and give you an idea of what it will take to break the bigger logs down with a CSM to mill with a band mill. Welcome to the forestry forum and  :new_year:
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Nomad

Most of us naturally would prefer to see you buy a mill so's you'll be addicted like the rest of us. ::)  But if this is only going to be a "one time, good deal" you might consider hiring a sawyer to take on some of your logs.  It'd cost a lot less than buying a mill.  Even if you do eventually get a mill, hiring someone would give you a chance to see/experience hands on what it's all about and help you make a more informed decision. 
     An alternative would be to find a sawyer near you and offer to spend a day or two helping him.  You could pick his brain for nothing more than some sweat and a few blisters. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: nomad on December 31, 2013, 06:15:15 PM
     Most of us naturally would prefer to see you buy a mill so's you'll be addicted like the rest of us. ::)  But if this is only going to be a "one time, good deal" you might consider hiring a sawyer to take on some of your logs.  It'd cost a lot less than buying a mill.  Even if you do eventually get a mill, hiring someone would give you a chance to see/experience hands on what it's all about and help you make a more informed decision. 
     An alternative would be to find a sawyer near you and offer to spend a day or two helping him.  You could pick his brain for nothing more than some sweat and a few blisters. ;D

I'd second that advice, if you are just looking at a one time job. Probably cost you less than 1/4 the price of a mill.

Further, for best results, I'd suggest you hire a Professional Sawyer who runs one of those "One legged Orange things!"  ;)

BTW, they are some REALLY good looking logs! Wish that stuff grew around here.

47sawdust

Have you given any thought to a used Mobile Dimensional sawmill.No log turning,can handle large logs and a top performer when it comes to making accurate lumber fast.
Good luck in your quest,this is a great forum.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

JimFX

Quote from: nomad on December 31, 2013, 06:15:15 PM

I don't have a mill of my own yet but I know good advice when I hear it, anything of this magnitude means you will have a learning curve and helping for a while is a great way to not spend money while you learn.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

I'm guessing you have a decent sized saw if you are taking trees like that down. You can free hand rip the bigger ones into quarters to get them onto a small band mill. You will loose a little bit of the lumber to get the quarters squared up, but that's a small price to pay for not having to buy a CSM. If this is your only sawing project, then it might be better to spend the money on a custom sawyer. If you think you might be sawing other stuff over time, then it may make more sense to buy your own mill. Once you have a mill, you never know what you'll use it for. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drewsteele

Great feedback guys!

Not a one time thing - at least that's not the plan. When I have the time I do love making furniture etc. and we are starting a new house project - breaking ground in the spring so lotsa opportunities there.  I see a kitchen clad in walnut cabinets in my future ; ) I just need to figure out where Im going to get more hardwood - Im in the redwood forest in the santa cruz mt's so mostly reds, bay laurel's, tan oaks, and madrones.

So for the size and what you get - does anyone have an experience with the big EZ boardwalk? Ive been calling around today and it seems that it's about the most I can get for the money. Even the Norwood that only does 36" dia - gets to 11k or so when you add on the trailer and the winch turner -

And yes - this does seem to be a really great forum!
Happy New Year Everyone!

:new_year:

andy

Thank You Sponsors!