iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

can I buy stihl bar without sprocketr tip

Started by davefrommd, May 31, 2004, 11:23:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

I have a bent 25" stihl chainsaw bar on my 440 magnum  that is fairly new. The bar has a bend in the middle caused from a tree falling on it. Can I buy just a new bar without the sprocket tip and remove the sprocket tip from the damaged bar and put it on the new bar and use new rivets.

I think a new replacement stihl 25" bar cost around $80.00. What do you think.  I kind of want to keep the stihl chainsaw original.  Dave

Rocky_J

Nope.

Perhaps straighten the bent bar and keep it for a spare. Or at least pull off the tip and save the tip for a spare.

jokers

QuoteI think a new replacement stihl 25" bar cost around $80.00. What do you think.  I kind of want to keep the stihl chainsaw original.  Dave

If that`s true at your Stihl dealer, you need to find another dealer. Try Jeff Sikkema, he can get you a Stihl bar.

Russ

dancan

checked with a local suppplier and a 24" oregon bar with replaceble tip and chain is about 90.00 cnd regular tip about 70.00

dan

Rocky_J

Canadian dollars do not equal American dollars. I thought you were mistaken until I noticed you were in Canada. An American dealer trying to get $90 for a 25" Oregon bar would go broke waiting for the fool who would pay that price. Most brands are half that much. Oregon is the cheapest (and about the lowest quality) out there. CCD lists the Oregon 24" at $36.95 and the 28" at $42.95 with a discount if you buy 6 at a time.

Back to the Stihl 25", $80 is a high price. But steel has gone up a lot in the last year and Stihl has always been higher than other brands. But I've never paid over $2 per inch for a bar.

dancan

didnt you know,we like paying more money for our stuff (we olnly need a small amount of stuff to be worth alot of money) i would like to get product at your prices but buy the time i convert $$ and pay duties and freight out left over disposable income after lossing over 40% to other taxes and fees i might as well pay the higher prices here for lesser product, but we do get affordable medical. :) :) :)

sorry about the rant
kevin feel free to remove it but i had to get it off my chest

dan

incognitive

Dan,

How bent is the bar?  I have a 25" Stihl bar that a 24" x 80' stem rode down the stump and into the ground last summer.  It was bent about 25° right where the tip section meets the bar.  I went over to the truck, pulled out my bronze hammer and used the stump as an anvil.  The bar's still working like new to this day, though I'm considering getting a replacement with the 13-tooth nose anyway.  I don't much like the little 11-tooth ones.

It takes a lot, but those bars usually straighten right up.

davefrommd

The bar has about a 45 degree bend or almost near that in the middle of the bar. I had thought about seeing if I could straighten it out. I don't have problems with using other bar brands as I have a GB 28" bar on my PM10-10s. Thanks so much for your advice and help.  Dave

Stan

So Dan, how much has the VAT gone up since the health care became :"affordable".  :) :) :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

sawguy21

Dont get us riled Stan. Hurts enough as it is. Seriously (as my 12 year old godson says when he is coming up with another scam) I would not try to straighten a severely bent bar. A broken bar in the cut is no fun. BINDERDONDAT
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!