iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not the best day!

Started by rockwall, December 30, 2013, 07:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockwall

After walking out of the woods from trying to start the clark 664, I saw where ice sheets had slid off the barn roof and smashed the windshield and a few other things on my car. Snow and glass everywhere. So got a breaker bar and pipe and walked back into woods in hopes of hand cranking the 353, all I did was tighten the nut on the end of the shaft, it won't turn, it won't budge. Any suggestions on what to do next? The skidder has been sitting for about 2 months, it was running fine when I shut it off. Thanks for any suggestions.

DDDfarmer

Don't park under the eave of the barn.   :D

Frost can lock up a engine pretty good, is it cold there? 

This is my set up for cold days.  1500 watt Honda knock off. Block heater is plugged in and hot exhaust also blows into engine bay.  Batteries also have to be in good shape for the really cold days.

No chance water got down the exhaust? Or mice/chipmunks filled up a cylinder with seeds?
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

thecfarm

It is a standard? The clutch good of rusted onto the flywheel. Sorry to hear of your other trouble too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rockwall

It is cold here and it has been really cold here and it's going to get really cold for the next week. I thought the was exhaust was really good. I had a new pipe made 4 years ago and it didn't show any signs of leaks. Could be mice I suppose? Thanks for the heater suggestions.   It is an automatic.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rockwall

Actually that was a friend's 664. He figured his out, he just needed a washer in his fuel filter cartridge. I think my problem is more involved.

treeslayer2003

if there is any chance of water in the cylinders do not force it as the connecting rods in the Detroit will bend very easy. if the starter is good and batterys, then i'd say water or maybe frost......I never seen one frost locked but it don't get below 20 here very often. could you point a ready heater on the engine for a while?

rockwall

Thanks treeslayer, I think that is what I am going to try next.

JDeere

Rockwall, A simple heat solution might be to go the to local hardware store and get a piece of that 4" flexible aluminum dryer vent hose. Attach (duct tape it) one end to your exhaust on your pickup and put the other end into the engine compartment. I have done this a number of times on hard-starting cold blooded equipment and it will often make the difference. Good Luck.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

rockwall

Woodboogah

Ill second the dryer vent.  Works well.  At least its cheap to try if you do have something more involved going on.  Good luck
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

shinnlinger

You can use the flexi pipe to blow diesel exhaust to displace oxygen  in old fuel tanks when cutting them up too. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

rockwall

I went down and really inspected the exhaust pipe and where it is bolted onto manifold and I couldn't see any cracks or ways for water to get in. I did see a mouse running along the belly of the machine. Could they really plug up a cylinder? How would they get into the cylinder? I was thinking it was water that seized the motor but maybe not.

treeslayer2003

they would have to go in thru the exhaust, i'm skeptical its a mouse nest.
maybe these boys got sumthin with the frost idea? I still think i'd heat her up.
last thing to check on water is to lossen the manifold bolts......but then it will be frozen ice if it is water so won't see anything run out....hmmm heat her if ya can.
hey sumthing in the blower could cause it not to turn, ya got a good air filter I hope.

DDDfarmer

Still thinking frost.  Could be a hydro-lock with fuel-ice/water.  Chance of the clutch being stuck.....possible but I've seen tractors sit for a year-2-3 and roll right over. 

Mice, seen it once.  Combine was out in the field during harvest.  Storm system came in and we covered the top of the old gas machine with a heavy canvas tarp.  Week later went to start up and thunk.. wouldn't turn over.  Turned out that the straight exhaust pipe and one cylinder was right full of barley. Nothing damaged but lost a day in clean-up. 

I think the first step to pump some heat to the motor then try to turn over.  Then go from there.  Let us know how you make out.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

rockwall

Miller-Thinner2

I once worked for a guy who had a heater type element that he had hooked to his oil pan he ran it from a generator for awhile before he would start the skidder. and he had some rig that hooked to the heater hoses of his half ton and it would circulated hot water through the engine,
something like that might also help out

duckslayingpro

Did you get your skidder back going?

rockwall

Not yet, it hasn't gotten above zero in a couple days. I think I'l get to it today or tomorrow.

rockwall

I did go down to the skidder and tried to turn the water pump and it turned. I opened draincocks on the oil cooler and the side of the block opposite the blower and they both dripped coolant.

rockwall

I found the culprit! The manifold gasket failed and the water is getting in that way. Any tricks on how to get the manifold off? I am planning on heating up the motor with a space heater and then trying to turn it over by hand. Do I need to be concerned about where the water goes? Someone suggested taking out the injectors first.

treeslayer2003

those bolts normaly come right out and if I remember right ya don't have to take um all the way out. if ya get it off, maybe you could poke an air nozzle in there and blow the water out as the one with water will have the valves open.
don't force the engine over, I know its tempting.

rockwall

Thanks for the tip, I am going to go SLOW!

rockwall

The best day! I went slow and heated the motor up for about an hour and a half with a space heater and then I tried to turn her backwards and she moved. I turned it about an eighth of a turn and then forward. I did that about ten times, I thought that was good enough for one day. I plan to get back to it tomorrow. I'm going slow I don't want to do any damage.

treeslayer2003

is it warming any up there? if you can turn it till the valves shut and turn it some more i'd say your fine.

Thank You Sponsors!