The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: technology  (Read 1362 times)

Offline chain

Re: technology
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 08:00:38 am »
I'm a Big Brother conspiracy theorist. Most tech advances came from two world wars, and the Space Race. And don't discount 007 either.

Our daughter ordered me to say the blessing at Christmas dinner, I'm standing at the head of table waiting for family..and waiting and waiting..they didn't come, all were on their I-phones, I-pads. Big Brother ruined tradition.

And the drones, and satellites spying, and that Google guy, always spying on our homes, our cars, our travels, our farms, our trees,our mills, etc....why? :o

Offline gspren

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 09:05:29 am »
  I spent over 26 years working at the U.S. Army Research Laboratory before retiring in 2011 and worked with scientists and engineers from obvious countries like Canada, Australia, Germany, Etc. and also countries most people in the US wouldn't think of like Peru, Taiwan, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka. My point is there are brilliant people from all over and unfortunately there are idiots from all over.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, JD 2355 4X4 w/fel, JD 620, Yamaha Kodiak 400 & trailer, Kubota 400 RTV,  P&M OWB, 75 acres to play.

Offline lowpolyjoe

• Senior Member x2
  • Hey
    • JeRM Software Page... Hobby projects
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 09:16:13 am »
If you want to be truly terrified by technology... most disturbing is starting at 5:45

Most upsetting is the fact that these guys developed some of these technologies with government funding and google just bought the company.  I hope results from all government funded programs are unavailable to them, but I find that hard to believe. 

Offline firecord

• Full Member x2
  • I'll try anything once
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 10:03:02 am »
By time i ment the calander.  I know that most of what we have today is due to the invention of electricity.  Alot of what we use today was around when Christ was here.  Word traveled then just not as fast.  Take metal for example. Many people long distances apart had it, yet buildings were stone and wood till 1800s.  Im just saying Was it inteligence, science, desire, devine intervention, ailen based ( for the record i do not delieve in ailens!). Not meaning to sound stupid , I am well learned, it is just that iv never really thought about it.  Or been taught why.

Offline Cedar Savage

• Full Member x2
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2013, 10:43:36 am »
If the world ends, it won't be from technology, it'll probably be a meteor, or a something celestial.....steam power started industry cranking, then tech took over.
“They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before.”         Mark Twain

Offline Delawhere Jack

• Senior Member x2
  • I ought to know better.....
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2013, 05:50:08 pm »
Major events that drove technology.

Western enlightenment, particularly the rule of law and property rights.
"If you like your invention, you can keep your invention. Period." (and the proceeds from it)

The printing press. (Ron beat me to it on that one).
Now true genius ideas could be spread to every corner of the globe within a few years.

Capitalism, (at least somewhat governed by rule of law).
The profit motive is very motivating. The ability to raise capital to make your invention a reality has benefited those societies where it is allowed tremendously.

Fossil fuels.
One gallon of gasoline will propel a small car 30 miles or more. Try pushing that same car 30 miles.

Telecommunications.
The world has become a much smaller place.

And in our time, the Internet. I went to school for computer networking in 1998 and worked in that field for 13 years. The Internet has been around much longer, but was just starting to gain widespread use with cheaper PC's and modems. I tried to explain to my parents (born in 1921 and 1926) just how revolutionary this new technology would become. The best metaphor I could come up with was that it would be as impactful on the world as Gutenbergs printing press had been.

black walnut, cherry, SYP, southern magnolia, poplar, hemlock, osage orange, red oak, white oak, chestnut oak, black locust, english walnut, ERC, WP, hickory, ash, black birch, beech, honey locust, apple, white cedar, black oak, basswood(?), sassafras and a "Christmas tree" full of iron