iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eastern red cedar interior siding

Started by Stick, December 28, 2013, 10:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stick

I am in the process of looking for a saw mill to buy, I think it will be a cook because of the reviews I have read and the fact that I am only 2hrs from Newton Alabama. I have about 40 acres of eastern red cedar that I want to mill and use on the interior of a new home I intend to build. My thoughts were to do the exposed beam ceiling and walls in the cedar. My question is would the smell be to over powering in the home with that much cedar in its construction? I don't want to plane and seal the wood just maybe a light sanding.

ellmoe

The smell will dissipate over time. Might be a little strong at the beginning, though. The color will fade, also. If you leave it unsealed you can touch it up with a light sanding and bring back both.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

Stick,welcome to the forum. How will you be getting the wood out? Logrite,sponsor on the left,have cantdogs and peaveys to help out with the logs. You will need at least one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Hello Stick and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)  The odor/fragrance/smell will diminish and you might even get used to it, but it will always be there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Holmes

Welcome to the FF Stick Your sticker-ed air drying should help with the odor
Think like a farmer.

Bill Gaiche

There was a show on tv here while back about expensive homes. A fellow in Tx built his large home from cedar. Started out with 1400 logs which he milled and had to get more from neighbors. House was around 16,000 sq. ft or so. Very beautiful. He never mentioned that the smell was to offensive. bg

justallan1

Welcome to the forum, Stick.
I dried about 30 cedar/juniper boards in my canning room downstairs and it was the best this house has ever smelled. ;D
It did dissipate within 2-3 weeks, so I guess I'll have to go saw more now.

Allan

okmulch

You mean cedar has a smell?  :D

Sawing and grinding cedar for 20 plus years must make your nose immune to the fragrance.   ;D
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

36 coupe

Red cedar dosent grow here.I have heard that some people are very allergic to red cedar.I made a jewelry box from red cedar around 1950, it still smells when opened.I do think that not planing or sealing would be a mistake.I saw and plane white cedar and find it burns my nose if I dont wear a dust mask.Planing brings out the beauty of all woods.

Cedarman

36, some people are allergic to eastern red cedar.  People are also allergic to western red cedar.   The WRC dust is bad.  ERC dust have not heard it being bad.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

From what I've experienced, open exposed ecr will loose it's initial strong fragerance, while the boxes and chests when opened release hints of it.  Time will fade the contrasts of boards not sealed or finished.  So I guess after time if you want to bring back the beauty you can always put a coat on,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Stick

Thank you all for the responses and I apologize for being so slow to respond myself but I have traveling back to work in Vietnam. I will be skidding the logs out with a 90 hp farm tractor with a front end loader. I did not want to plane or finish the interior boards on the house cause I wanted to keep it as rustic as possible, do want to keep the contrast of colors in the wood though hmmmm looks like I got to replan my job some. Anyone got any suggestions how to keep the rustic rough look but keep the colors vibrant, linseed oil maybe?

goose63

What  kind of work are you doing I Viet Nam? I WAS THERE IN 69-70-71 :new_year:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

m wood

40 acres of cedar?  how big is this house gonna be? :D  I don't have a single cedar of any kind on my 80+ acres.  I would love to mill some of it one day.  Guess I'll have to buy a log one of these days  :-X.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Stick

ancjr

Linseed oil will darken the wood, but won't protect it from UV, water or oxidation.  I don't know of a product to "preserve" the color.  Sanding the surface every few years will bring it back to "fresh cut" look and aroma.

Stick

Ok thanks. I guess I will have to plane it and finish it to keep it bright looking, I just did not want the highly finished look but it sounds like that is going to be the most trouble free option.

Thank You Sponsors!