iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

apple tree problem

Started by L. Wakefield, May 31, 2004, 07:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

So we were walking about last evening and I noticed the apple trees had a problem. They had bloomed fairly well, and there are a few bagwr=orms around, but not that many.

What we saw was a lot of tips that looked bad- not specifically defoliated, and no great amount of bagworms seen, but the branch tips and the small new leaves were brownish, withered, or gone. I know what stripped trees look like after the worms get onto them, and this wasn't like that.

And they hadn't set fruit.

We have had a *lot* of rain, cool temps, no specific frost. This was after an early hot spell.

So I guess I'm wondering if it is the temp/rain- do apples get some type of blight under this condition?

Thanks for any information.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SwampDonkey

If the new tips are brown and withered I suspect frost. If you seen tiny brown,black pepper like frass its insect defoliation. Can be tent caterpillar or any moth larvae in the lupar family (inch worms). Are there any pin-sized cavities in the ovule of the flowers? This can be larvae of the railroad worm, which is a fly. They overwinter in the ground under the fruit trees and emerge as adults in spring.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

L. Wakefield

The frost- or near to it seems most likely. I hadn't seen any frost *on the ground* the coldest mornings- but I wonder if in certain cases it is actually colder up in the branches- like wind chill. It's been so wet..  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

SwampDonkey

2 weeks ago there was alot of scattered frost around. I was tenting out in the lower part of the province and I was on low land. Frosty was biting my nose in the mornin and it was on the poplar leaves, which did not turn black. They can take frost anyway. But no frost at my place which escapes alot of late spring frosts because its on higher ground. I have alot of fruit trees around and there was no damage to blossums. Last fall I never got frost here untill the 20th of October which killed the corn in the field beside the house. It was a hard frost, which crusted the ground. brrrrrrr
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

EquineGuy

How wide spread is Cedar Rust?  From what I understand it is a fungus that is passed back and forth from Cedar trees by those orange jelly ball things that hang from the branches.

Any successful prevention or treatments in a heavily wooded area?  I know my apple trees are suffering bad from it.

Poulan 3800 28" blade... errr ummm bar.

Thank You Sponsors!