iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Better logging in the winter????

Started by ga jones, December 28, 2013, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

Maybe the fuel savings I will get from my $#!^ being parked will make up for loss of production! LOL
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Maine logger88

Quote from: KyLogger on January 05, 2014, 08:34:57 PM
Maybe the fuel savings I will get from my $#!^ being parked will make up for loss of production! LOL
. Hahaha I know what you mean!
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Corley5

Quote from: Maine logger88 on January 05, 2014, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: KyLogger on January 05, 2014, 08:34:57 PM
. Hahaha I know what you mean!

8) 8) 8)  I hear ya.  If I'm not working I'm not spending $$$$  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

QuoteIt's a different game when you are operating in cold temps.

Barbender
That pic just posted in your gallery of a busted hyd. line doesn't look good. 
Hope the repair is going ok, but has to be one cold &%!@*$ job.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Firewoodjoe

-9 below. And we working today. Don't have to cut off many limbs;)

ga jones

Ya it's -5 here and 40-50 mph winds. I don't know if the big jack will start but I'm gona give it a shot. The ground is froze for now. Calling for temps in the 40s on the weekend. More mud! Winter logging sucks here!!!!!!!
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ga jones

-14 Tuesday skidder froze took 4 hours to get going. Great skidding the frost got deep even in the woods. Now it's 57 and raining 2 inches of soft ground on top already. Ill loose a few days now.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

Firewoodjoe

I've posted this before but not sure where. We left our machines running all night. Took .8 gallons per hour. And saves a lot of greef in the am. And u don't have an excuse not to work. Lol

Maine logger88

I thought about leaving my machine running all night a week ago when we had those real cold nights but I know Detroit's don't like to idle for long periods of time so I didn't if it was the Deere I probly would have. And its raining real hard here to I hate rain this time of year stresses me right out

ehp

it rained hard yesterday all day long here , I cut up and piled everything I put out for the last 3 days , just going to go back over now and see how bad it looks but there were big flooded spots all over the fields and roads when I left yesterday , its not to rain much today but is to rainj again tomorrow

bill m

Worked all through the cold spell last week. One morning it was -8 and the tractor started hard. Took me almost 10 minutes to get it started. We had a lot of rain yesterday and it's going to be warm for a couple of days so I'll stay out of the woods till it turns cold again and work on the addition to my sugarhouse. Maple season is just around the corner and I really need to get it finished.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Ken

The extreme cold from last week forced us to shut down for a couple of days.  Too easy to break stuff when it is -30.  Although it has warmed up considerably the last few days the heavy rain from yesterday creates its own problems.  When I left the woods yesterday my 2+ mile of woods road was a skating rink.  Good thing it is relatively flat.  May have to run the porter up and down the road a time or two to break up the ice.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

plasticweld

Miserable week for us, rain last Sunday made a mess out of everything, landings full of water; no work on Monday. Tuesday too cold to work here so called a day. Wednesday still cold but not as bad. It took till 11am to get everything going. bought new batteries one skidder, and landing loader. new fuel filters for other skidder along with log truck and tons of fuel additives. spent part of Thursday getting a leaf out of the fuel line on one skidder, heavy rain here on Saturday. skip in the engine on the log truck Saturday afternoon; bad injector or wire. Monday supposed to almost 50 degrees here. I would love to have winter time logging in the winter and spring in the spring instead of having both in the same week

treeslayer2003

same here, thawed now and more rain this week.......mud. I looking forward to july now.

Ford_man

If you want to Idle a Detroit you want to idle it up to 900-1000 rpms, done it all the time with my truck. no problems.  splitwood_smiley

ehp

I cut and skidded today and it was pretty nice , I'm on sand so most of the water ran away and it was not bad to get around , its to rain like hell again tomorrow but I hope it does not

Maine logger88

Went and walked the lot I was supposed to move to tomorrow and its almost under water guess I'll stay where I am for another week o well its high ground so it wasn't affected to bad by the rain hope it gets cold again soon

DDDfarmer

Some of my firewood areas I don't dare take the skidder near when it's not froze.  First trip in the weight of the skidder would compress the muskeag and the trees on each side would lean in over the machine.  Then they would  straighten up as you drive by.  Wait a day or two, let it freeze up and good to go. 

Clean wood, no bugs winter's better.  Don't like the heat
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!