iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade hydraulic loader

Started by gholbrook, December 28, 2013, 06:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gholbrook

Got my plans drawn up and got to work on my homemade loader for my manual lt40. Got loader arms and brackets fabricated this morning while waiting on temp to warm up a little. Not going to final weld until my cylinders get here. My clamp and turner are working great.  Thanks piney woods for plans. Here's a pic 
2010 LT 40 with homemade hydraulics and loader. 5205 John Deere with FEL. Wrangler 5000 articulating  rubber tired loader.

Too Big To Fail

nice.  I don't feel like I've seen another home made loader build on the forum, and have thought about building one myself if I ever get the time.  Is that just 2" 1/4 wall tubing?  How much do you expect it will lift?

gholbrook

Yes it's 2" square 1/4" wall tubing for the lift arms and 3" c channel for the feet. I have 3" bore and 8" stroke cylinders ordered. I think it should lift a 2500 to 3000 lb log. I'm going to plate all the joints.
2010 LT 40 with homemade hydraulics and loader. 5205 John Deere with FEL. Wrangler 5000 articulating  rubber tired loader.

redprospector

You'll probably need to beef up the channel iron some.
I built a very similar loader for a guy here. I'm not sure exactly what happened but the channel folded up like tin foil. He was upset that it didn't work, and I didn't get the chance to try to rectify the situation.
Just don't want to see you go through the same thing, since I've already made that mistake.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

woodNthings

Looking good! Does your mill have hydraulics already?
The set on my mill are home made but I tried to clone the WM design. I had too thin of channel and buckeled them once... Make them at least 3/16"

'10 WM LT33 Hyd.
'80s Case rough terrain forklift
'54 Farmall Super A
'01 Duramax

gholbrook

I put homemade hydraulics on my mill a few weeks ago and I am enjoying the amount of time and labor it saves. I making the feet out of 3" channel 1/4" thick. Thanks for the tip a wise man learns from someone else's mistakes. Here's a couple pics of turner and clamp I made.       

backwoods sawyer

I am not sure I would use the hydraulic box for a battery box.
I had a fire in the hydraulic box, had to replace everything on that end of the mill, hydraulic fluid and saw dust makes for a quick hot fire.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

gholbrook

Finally got my loader arms finished up and plumbed. I used them for a couple of weeks and then got them powder coated. We went and cut up some logs for a customer on Saturday and tested it pretty good. They had some oak logs about 20 inches by 20 ft and the loader did great.

Magicman

Congratulations on your plans coming together.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

looks real nice, good job.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

thecfarm

The loader did great,I bet that made you some happy!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Those look nice. Do they just flip up on the trailer for transporting?

Allan

drobertson

Very clean!  Happy for you, no question about the hyd. assist, makes things a lil quicker.  I agree with backwoods on the battery and hyd. maybe a baffle plate can be put between the two?   Nice modification!     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

gholbrook

Yes Allan they flip up for transport

pineywoods

Very nice job. Post some drawings with dimensions.. I recognize the blue/green piece...Nice job there too.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bedway

Where and how much did you get the hydraulic unit?

Peter Drouin

Now THATS a nice job  smiley_clapping
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ga Mtn Man

A first-rate job and I'll bet you saved a bundle!

I agree...move the battery.  You're gonna need the room for a second pump anyway. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

gholbrook

Quote from: bedway on March 03, 2014, 12:13:23 PM
Where and how much did you get the hydraulic unit?

I picked up hydraulic unit on c list for $75. 

MSSawmill

This isn't far down our list of upgrades. Very nice job!
Home-built bandsaw mill
2004 Kubota M110 with LA1301 loader

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Iwawoodwork

I would not remove anything from the battery/hyd box, I would just weld in an metal partition/firewall plate between the battery and hyd unit, then mount a battery disconnect on the outside of the box along with a fire extinguisher nearby. I like to have fire extinguishers on each piece of my equipment, and large machinery anyway.

charles mann

Quote from: Iwawoodwork on December 16, 2018, 12:04:11 PM
I would not remove anything from the battery/hyd box, I would just weld in an metal partition/firewall plate between the battery and hyd unit, then mount a battery disconnect on the outside of the box along with a fire extinguisher nearby. I like to have fire extinguishers on each piece of my equipment, and large machinery anyway.
that and maybe add some ceramic wool on the hydraulic side to help shield the system from heat if something happens. 
i was building a knife from a hoof rasp and had my rosebud torch running full blast inside a tube of 2" cerwool that i just rolled in a circle and i could lay my hand on top of the wool. not sure how warm the wool was, but it was much less than the temp of hot water from a 120° water heater.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Fordfarmer

gholbrook, I know this was an old post but I hope you are still out there.  I am working on a hydraulic loader very similar to yours.  I hooked up the hydraulics to test the function and it works but the cylinders do not move in sync with one starting well before the other.  Loaded and unloaded.  I see that you tied both your lift arms together (just like Woodmizer).  Will this cause the cylinders to react together or did you install a flow control valve to regulate lifting speed?

Thank You Sponsors!