iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(Hands) Free at Last! (Motorola Roadster 2)

Started by SawyerBrown, December 28, 2013, 05:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Well, here in IL there's a new law on the books that one must be "hands free" from cell phones while driving.  Since I'm on the road a considerable amount, my wonderful wife bought me a Motorola Roadster 2 for Christmas.  It mounts on the visor and has a Bluetooth connection to my iPhone, so it's supposed to be a "one-button-push" to make a call (which is allowed under the new law), and totally hands-free for answering ("accept" or "ignore").  Pretty slick!

I've had just a little bit of trouble with voice commands ... supposed to push the button on the right, then say command (like, "Call Barb").  Anybody else have any experience?  Also, seems like sometimes it takes a while to sync to the phone ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Warbird

I've wondered how these work.  No personal experience with one, yet.  A lot of the newer vehicles have similar functionality but they take some setting up, or so I've heard.

SawyerBrown

Exactly, my truck is just too old, so these things are needed for this Bluetooth communication with cell phones and to act as the microphone and speaker.   And that, my friend, is pretty much everything I know on the subject! :)
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

r.man

The one that I know about second hand seems to work very slick according to a mutual friend. The driver spoke clearly and the unit performed well. Personally I would rather not have anyone talking on a phone, doing their nails, making a salad etc while driving near me. Too many things to keep track of in the vehicle and the road. I was on a greyhound bus the other day for the first time and was amazed when looking down into cars on a fast four lane highway that people were hiding their phones on their laps and texting or dialing. Scary. On a half hour trip I saw 3 people doing that and it bothered me so much I stopped looking. I was happy to see that all the transport drivers appeared to be very alert. The difference between professionals and idiots. Anyone who does this and is reading this post can rightly assume that I mean them.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

clearcut

My wife's car has the built in Bluetooth through the stereo system. It is simple to set up and works great for hands free. What is nice about the built in units is that they are on when the car is running and off when the engine is off. So you start up the car and your phone connects automatically.

One day I was driving the wife's car and she was with friends in the car following. Every time they got close at a light or stop sign, her phone would connect to the stereo in the car I was driving. 

With most portable units, (I have a Jabra Cruiser for my rig) that work on batteries, they are on until you shut them off. Wander within 30' of the vehicle and calls may shift to the hands free unit. I park just outside my office window so when I forget to turn the darn thing off, the Bluetooth in the vehicle grabs the call.  Hello Hello Hello ???

The Jabra takes calls just fine. Reception is clear and callers tell me that it sounds good on their end. It will optionally play through the stereo via FM. Voice recognition is hit or miss, mostly miss. I prefer to pull over most calls, so its not important to me.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

SawyerBrown

r.man, hear what you're saying.  Making a salad is a new one but you're right there's a lot of people not paying attention to what they're supposed to be doing.  I assume that's why they passed the law.  I at least like to answer the call even if I need to tell them I need to find a place to pull over. And I do like to check in on my Mom (88, lives alone).  As long as eyes are on the road, probably no worse than listening to the radio.  Just my opinion and why I'd like to get this thing working perfect.

Sonofman

I heard something on the radio the other week. The auto mfgrs are planning to make their auto's with bluetooth to communicate between the devices within the car. I do not know to what extent, but I guess like the accellerator will be pressed and the amount of press will be sent to the computer by bluetooth for it to open the throttle body to make the car go. They were saying the current hangup is to make sure that if another car with similar technology pulls up beside you at the light, the two do not get their signals crossed.

I do not think I would like this in my car.
Located due west of Due West.

beenthere

Well sonofman
If caught speeding, you could say it was the other car that talked your car into going fast. ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sonofman

Located due west of Due West.

r.man

Sawyer just don't forget that a missed call isn't worth your life or someone else's. The people who are reading and then replying to their text's think that missing one is a bad thing as well. I am not sure what the solution is for someone who really needs to answer a call, and I think a call from your 88 yr old mother is important. Maybe an answering message that says something like " It is such O'Clock on this day and I am taking calls but will be checking my messages at the next stop as I am driving right now, please leave a message."  I have often thought it would be good if an important person like your mother could have a priority to punch through an answering machine or even another call. I know when my elderly father was alive and living on his own I never let the phone ring without checking to see if it was him. I love call display. Drive safe.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Thank You Sponsors!