iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jonsereds 90

Started by JohnG28, December 28, 2013, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnG28

Anyone have any experience with one of these? See one for sale locally and was thinking about a saw to possibly mill with at some point. I don't imagine it will turn a lot of rpms, but should be good on torque. Anything to look for, issues, parts availability, etc? I appreciate any info.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

SawTroll

The lack of parts availiability makes it mainly a collector item, that should be used sparingly.

Cool saw though!  8)
Information collector.

JohnG28

Thanks ST, it is a cool looking old beast for sure.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

ehp

ran a 90 lots , if in good shape it would make a good saw to mill with as its got lots of torque ,  the 90 is abit hard on pull cords thou  8)

HolmenTree

Like Ed I have many fond memories of my Jonsereds 90 I owned in the late 1970s. Pound for pound one of the most durable torque monster saws I've owned.
When I bought the Jonsereds 910E a few years later it seemed like science fiction saw from the future.
I'll post some old Jonsereds 90 ads later this evening, maybe a tech report from back in the day too.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

Never owned a 90. I did have a 920 for a few years. It was a great saw!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

JohnG28

Thanks gents. I'm going to call the number and see if its still there tomorrow. Looks to be in good shape, says it runs and price is right. I'll let you know what I find out.

JohnG28

Going to check it out Tuesday, still available. Runs, oils and has b/c (think a 24") but a dull chain. Guy is also willing to throw in a Husky 350 with 18" b/c for a total of $200. 8) Should be fun telling the wife about this one! ;D :D I said I was done when I got the 460. ::) :D

deerslayer

The 350 will get you back your $200. Now you've got the 90 for free! (assuming I'm understanding your post correctly.)
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

deerslayer

Tip to the OP, buy stuff first and then post about it. Even a vague posting like yours "advertises" the saw to all the saw nuts on here and it is likely to get scooped up out from under you. I am hoping you won't see this right away because you're driving to pick up the saws.

It took me about 4 minutes to find the saw for sale you were referring to. Anytime you can find that many cc saw for a low price, it's probably a good deal. A good saw for those monster trees one encounters on occasion. And cheaper than a long bar for your present saw.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

JohnG28

Yes, deerslayer, you are correct that is for the both. I know what you mean, but already have a meeting with the guy. Was more interested in info on the 90 anyway. Told they guy I'll likely be taking them so shouldn't have anybody getting in first, plus its been there since November.

SawTroll

Quote from: deerslayer on December 29, 2013, 04:55:29 PM
Tip to the OP, buy stuff first and then post about it. Even a vague posting like yours "advertises" the saw to all the saw nuts on here and it is likely to get scooped up out from under you. I am hoping you won't see this right away because you're driving to pick up the saws.

It took me about 4 minutes to find the saw for sale you were referring to. Anytime you can find that many cc saw for a low price, it's probably a good deal. A good saw for those monster trees one encounters on occasion. And cheaper than a long bar for your present saw.

True, there are some "sharks" around, and they don't even have to be members to read the posts. Never post about a saw for sale, if you consider buying it yourself!
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 28, 2013, 08:03:37 PM
Like Ed I have many fond memories of my Jonsereds 90 I owned in the late 1970s. Pound for pound one of the most durable torque monster saws I've owned.
When I bought the Jonsereds 910E a few years later it seemed like science fiction saw from the future.
I'll post some old Jonsereds 90 ads later this evening, maybe a tech report from back in the day too.
Well I couldn't find a lot on the Jonsereds 90, but these 1976 ads do OK.

chet

Brings back alot of memories.  :)  Now I'm gonna hafta dig out all my old issues of Chainsaw Age.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

JohnG28

Thanks HT, good pics and old info. You must have a heck of a collection! With any good luck I'll be posting some photos tomorrow night, but we shall see.

HolmenTree

Your welcome guys.
I pretty well have every issue of Chainsaw Age from the 1970s. I'm missing about 60 issues from the 1980s. I have 1990 and part of '91 collection, that's when the magazine stopped, went to a new publisher and was no longer entirely chainsaw related.
I have about 15 issues from the mid 1960s , that decade was really interesting for saw and sawchain development. The magazine first started in 1952.
If anyone has any 1950 or 1960 issues for sale please PM me, I will pay top dollar and I have a PayPal account.

Willard.

chet

All mine are very early 70's and on. sorry
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

JohnG28

Well I'm the happy owner of this Jonny 90! She needs a little work, starter pawls were only engaging about 1/2the pulls on her. But it did crank up and man does it sound sweet! 8) I'll get some better pics with my digital camera tomorrow. Thanks for the help everyone. Got the Husky 350 also, along with 3 spare bars and 8-10 chains!! ;D ;D All for $200. I'll get a pic on of the  350 here too.

JohnG28

Here's one of the 350 and one more of the Jonsereds. :)

Corley5

Nice  8) 8) 8) 8)  I've only seen a couple 90s around here.  My first job falling was with a Jonsered 70E.  I've been a Jonsered user ever since.
  I've never heard of a 111S.  That'd be quite a saw  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

HolmenTree

Great score you got there John 8)
They don't put "quality built toughness" that 90 processes in todays saws,
Take that little  350 for example ;)

Willard

JohnG28

Thanks Holmen, I think some more pictures will show it off even more. It's dirty but in real nice shape. There's even about 75% of the paint still on the bottom of the saw. And man did it sound just awesome. I like it a lot. And like you said about it's construction, even the rear handle is metal(magnesium, right?). Not all that heavy with a 20" bar for a 40 yr old 90cc saw either.

deerslayer

Nice score! Congrats and glad it stayed unsold until you could seal the deal. Next time you spot a score like that waiting to be picked, discretion is in order. If you have questions, pm someone that lives a long ways away! When I have something for sale on CL, first one there with the money takes it home. I have waited for the arrival of a "sure" buyer many times and no shows resulted. The only way I'll hold something is if the person informs me they are enroute.

HolmenTree

Quote from: JohnG28 on December 31, 2013, 11:09:57 PM
And like you said about it's construction, even the rear handle is metal(magnesium, right?).
I remember seeing a Jonsered 801 (same saw as 90 but smaller cc) burn up once. One of our fallers lunch shack burnt up, he was able to pull the burning saw out of the fire but not even water poured on it would put the fire out. All that was left of the saw was the steel parts. Yes the rear handle is magnesium and once it burns look out.

I was doing a tree removal job a while back with my Husky 372XP and when I was bucking up the trees into stove length the customer brought out his like new Jonsered 90 with a new  73 LGX chain to help me. My muffler modded with non rev limit coil 372XP couldn't keep up with the 90.

JohnG28

Thanks for the continued info HT! I haven't seen magnesium burn in person but I know it burns violently. Wasn't sure if the handle may have been aluminum. Never had a chance to get the digital camera out so a few more from the phone for now. ;D

Have some free time next few days so hope to get her on the work bench and start cleaning up and seeing what is what. It sounds and feels like a powerhouse when it's running. Looking forward to putting an edge back on the chain and getting into some logs! 8) Thanks for all the help everyone.  :new_year:

Spike60

Just noticed this thread. Great score on a rare saw that's in great shape. I'd say that saw was not used commercially based on how nice it is. Which is why the one I scored is in such nice shape.  :) Parts are very hard to locate, but that saw doesn't look like it needs anything at all. Like HT said, they have plenty of torque. But they operate at lower RPM's than newer saws: 11,300 max, so don't wind her up too much.

Where in central NY are you John?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

JohnG28

Thanks Spike. It took me a little playing to get the starting sequence down but now thst I got it it starts on a few pulls. I haven't done a thing to it yet either. Except gas, since my first try at the house was on an empty tank. ::) Oops! I'm just outside of Utica. You and weimedog are somewhere in NY also aren't you?

HolmenTree

About that Jonsereds 90 I mentioned earlier that one of my tree work customers had, this summer when he comes back to his cottage I'm going to make him an offer to buy that saw. I might even offer to trade a much newer saw for it.
Like John's 90 this 90 I saw was never used commercially, it still has all the decals on it and missing very little paint. This owner who is a retired paper mill employee gave a injured logger back in the day $200 for the saw and has cut only the odd stick with it at his cabin ever since.

I've never bought a saw off E-Bay but with my tree service I run into lots of homeowners who show me their saws for advice.
A couple of years ago I found this brand new never used 1993 Husqvarna 272XP that I paid $300 for. I have updated it with a HD air filter, smooth bumper replacing the heavy dogs and removed the lead weight from the brake lever to get even more weight down. To date I only have about 5 tanks thru this saw and has only cut hardwood to keep it clean.

JohnG28

I looked over your pictures before reading and was thinking man, that saw looks like new! Hope that 90 is still there for you too!

Spike60

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 14, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
. To date I only have about 5 tanks thru this saw and has only cut hardwood to keep it clean.

Haha! I'm the same way with my nicer looking saws. Never go near the pine trees with them. Got a few scuffed and dirty saws for those jobs.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

HolmenTree

Quote from: Spike60 on January 14, 2014, 03:04:53 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 14, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
. To date I only have about 5 tanks thru this saw and has only cut hardwood to keep it clean.

Haha! I'm the same way with my nicer looking saws. Never go near the pine trees with them. Got a few scuffed and dirty saws for those jobs.
Yep nothing worse then spruce gum or pine sap curing like a ceramic coating on a good looking saw. Balsam fir has got to be the worst, I keep a ratty old pair of safety chaps and a deadbeat saw just for those trees. :D
You may have noticed the canola oil jug in the above picture , I don't put that in the 272 only put real petro oil in it. My work saws get the canola. ;)

Spike60

If I've got the pic/gallery thing figured out, this is a pic of my 90 along with a 801/80. The 801 top was busted and I've got this thing for silver tops...... :)

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/23669/thumb_sawshots_048.jpg

Looks like it's not all that figured out, eh?  :D
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

beenthere

Spike
Take it one more step.
Click on the blue highlighted bar below your post (when you go back to "Modify" it) that says "Click here to add Photos to post"

Then a window comes up that will have in the menu bar at the top the tab "My Gallery". Click on that (NOT the one that says "Upload file").
Your gallery will be up, so go to the pic you want to post and Click on it. It will enlarge. Then SCROLL down (this is the tricky part) below the pic a ways and you will see a couple ways to post your pic. I use the blue highlighted "Insert Image to Post".  A question yes/no to click on and it will now be in your post.

Takes longer to type it out than it does to make it happen.

Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lumberjack48

Back in the day i fell and limbed all day with a 90, very good saw. I had a couple 80,s, and 751's, the 621 is about the smoothest saw i ever run. I bought a new 601 back in 1970, 165.00.

That was a good find, its hard to find them that nice.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Spike60

Quote from: beenthere on January 14, 2014, 05:28:12 PM
Spike
Take it one more step.
Click on the blue highlighted bar below your post (when you go back to "Modify" it) that says "Click here to add Photos to post"

Then a window comes up that will have in the menu bar at the top the tab "My Gallery". Click on that (NOT the one that says "Upload file").
Your gallery will be up, so go to the pic you want to post and Click on it. It will enlarge. Then SCROLL down (this is the tricky part) below the pic a ways and you will see a couple ways to post your pic. I use the blue highlighted "Insert Image to Post".  A question yes/no to click on and it will now be in your post.

Takes longer to type it out than it does to make it happen.

Good luck.

Thanks!
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

luvmexfood

Holmen Tree. Interesting you kept all those old magazines. About 30 years ago when I was young and dumb I went to an estate auction. Some junk some good stuff. Anyway, at auction was every issue of Life magazine during the entire period of WW II. I bid a little only because I liked to read and see pictures from WW II. Back then which was around 83 the entire set brought maybe $15.00. Boy wish I had bought them. Hold on to those old magazines. Somebody somewhere would want them.

Did pick-up and wooden block and tackle set with hemp rope. Each block has 3-4 pulleys where it goes back and forth. Sure I gave less than $10 bucks and have never used. Probably never will. But sure I can get my money back anytime. Even counting for inflation. They are nice enough to hang for decoration.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

HolmenTree

luvmexfood, yeah I'm glad to have them because I don't think they'll ever get digitized for the internet.
I bought a wooden block and tackle too minus the rope, but I did get a spare block. Bought it at a yard sale in a farming community so probably used for hay loft use. I use mine for a decoration too in my garden.

Thank You Sponsors!