iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

small log ideas

Started by ancjr, December 27, 2013, 05:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ancjr

I have all kinds of sugar maple, sassafras, eastern redcedar that is either dead, dying or already down in 4" to 6" size.  Half of it is crooked and or rotted... but the other half is good enough to use.  Found a nice spalted maple tree today that is still plenty solid in 5" size.  So, that's what I'm wondering ... any ideas as to how to make use of this wood besides firewood?

mesquite buckeye

Tinkertoys and little picture frames. ;D dadgum you, Charlie!
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

ancjr

Scale models of famous log structures?  :)

jrapwoodworking

Split it in half hollow it out slightly and add a set of hinges, makes a great pen box. You could also cut them to around 3 inches in length and drill a 1 1/2 in. hole for a tea candle. I have not tried either of them as of yet but they were 2 ideas i read about.
Huqvarna 455 Rancher, (will be mine) 2012 Chevy Colorado, 2012 Polaris Sportsman 400 H.O, a large log pile.

mesquite buckeye

Custom hand hewn fire logs all for show in fancy houses!!!!!      smiley_bounce smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_blue_bounce smiley_wavy smiley_flipping smiley_divide :snowfight1: dadgum you, Charlie! logrite_cool spam_ oz_smiley huh-smiley taz-smiley smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw  smiley_smug01
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

jrapwoodworking

Another idea, if you have a lathe you could turn them into candle sticks, hand held tops, the ideas are limitless. If the logs are 5" wide then you could even turn small bowls
Huqvarna 455 Rancher, (will be mine) 2012 Chevy Colorado, 2012 Polaris Sportsman 400 H.O, a large log pile.

mesquite buckeye

Bunk logs to keep your real logs off the ground. ;D

ancjr

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 27, 2013, 08:00:46 PM
Bunk logs to keep your real logs off the ground. ;D

The punky stuff is for that.  ;D

mesquite buckeye

A really small log cabin. ;D

kensfarm

Stairway hand rails..  I cut a bunch of small cherry into 3x3s..  4x4s.. whatever they would make. 

Ianab

Is the cedar big enough to make a fence post? A 6" log, 4 cuts and you have a 4x4 post.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lud

Small logs can be put on a lathe to make candlesticks or other spindle type work.  Rustic legs for cookie tables , benches, etc.

Folks like turnings that still have some bark on.........I guess it seems more real to them! :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

ancjr

Now I need a lathe!  :)

Lord knows I have everything I need to make a spring pole lathe within 50ft of the house.  :D

mesquite buckeye

Billions and billions of toothpicks. ;D

Or Billions of chopsticks. smiley_chinese

ancjr

Scale model of a real sawmill.  :D

Actually, I have an idea.  :)

caveman

These are some band saw jewelry boxes made out of southern red cedar.  The limb stubs were left on to hang necklaces.  My uncle has made many of these but horizontally oriented.  He spends some time sanding and finishing them with polyurethane but he has no trouble selling them for $150.
Caveman

m wood

Caveman, I love that idea.  I work with this size log a lot.  How were those drawer dimensions cut out?  Do they go clear thru to the back side?
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I like the band saw jewelry box caveman, I have a few logs set aside to give a few of them a try.

I have made some simple coasters.  Just a little sanding and some stain, nothing fancy at all but I like them.  The picture below was some of an old Christmas tree.

Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

SawyerBrown

There's a local guy here that takes 1/2 a small log and carves out names etc on the flat, for use on a mailbox, entryway, etc. I assume he has some kind of stencil kit
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

thecfarm

caveman,I like that. A very good idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ancjr

Appteciate the ideas!  Even the humorous ones!  :)

Busy Beaver Lumber

Cut them in half length wise on a band saw, run the face across a jointer and use for sign blanks or you can be creative and use several of them side by side to make very attractive table tops.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

mesquite buckeye

Low cost wattle and daub housing. I'll stop at affordable. ;D ;D ;D

ancjr

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 31, 2013, 04:18:23 PM
Low cost wattle and daub housing. I'll stop at affordable. ;D ;D ;D

If the magistrate allowed such a thing here, I'd likely be living in one now!  Even considered bringing one of those "storage sheds" up to code.  :)

caveman

When making band saw boxes out of small cedar logs, I made a jig to saw the back off of the log.  Then, the easiest thing is to go to you tube and look under band saw box to look at how to cut and glue up a band saw box.  If you want to get fancy, you could make a hidden drawer in the back of one of the drawers. 
Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!