iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on track loaders

Started by Birchwood Logging, December 27, 2013, 01:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

That little tractor looks real good. Not beat up much at all. From further reading in this thread i would say you probably got a good stop gap unit that will save you bucks to get what you really want down the road a bit.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

shinnlinger

While I am impressed your old Ford can haul it, is that DOT legal?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

KyLogger

Probably not, but you thats how we roll in Appalachia! Farm tags get you by with everything! I used to haul my 450E (a bigger tractor) on my Int. 4900 single axle before I got my pintle hitch trailer.....
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

barbender

My Grandad was hauling his 450 with the hoe attachment on, I don't know what it weighed but he had both drives on one side blow out at once (same truck, single axle Ford). Not a good situation.
Too many irons in the fire

Birchwood Logging

The old ford packs it no problem can't hardly tell its even back there never even had to drop a gear going up the hills it will haul just about twice that much weight. I hope I don't have to do any final drive work to it but if I do I will holler at you ky logger. My friend I got it from said it was a 86 or 87 model I did not think they made the 450c model that late it has the turbo motor in it
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

redprospector

Quote from: shinnlinger on December 28, 2013, 10:08:39 PM
While I am impressed your old Ford can haul it, is that DOT legal?

If it's not legal it can't be too far off.
If that truck is just 26000 GVW, it probably weighs less than 12000 empty (I'd guess closer to 10000).
My 450B weighs around 12000, so I think he's probably got plenty of room on weight. Getting the axle weight right might be the trick.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

timberjackrob

around this part of ky track loaders were the gold standard for a long time still a lot of them around today but have been seeing a lot of wheel loaders now and a few knuckle booms.i have a 455 case myself it has the smooth or some call them street pads the don't tear up the ground bad at all.they are rough riding machines but they really work well in the tight spots we have to load in the Appalachians I have loaded with farm tractors and there is no comparison the track loader is by  far better suited for loading logs I don't know about the backhoe but I would think traction would be an issue if it were not 4wd.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

shinnlinger

The machine is probably within the GVW of the truck (my F-600 can haul 15k) but it appears only two non DOT chains are holding it down.  I would think it would call for 2 if not 3 gold chains on the machine itself and another over the forks.  Chain binders were a hot topic the other day at the local chat and chew.  Consensus was a safe looking load with plenty of binders avoided being stopped even if overloaded.

Regardless if one of those chains popped going around a corner it could make for a big mess.  Something to think about thats all.  I hope it works out for you.  Did you get a bucket with it too?
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dave Shepard

That loader has to weigh more than 12,000. IIRC, that truck was 28,000 GBW? So, with the CAT engine, it's probably about 12,000, leaving 16,000 payload. It's probably the only legal load it's ever seen. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Birchwood Logging

The silver chain is a 3/8 chain said dot aproved on the box it came in the other chain is a grade 80 1/2 chain don't think they would have any problem's with it. The trucks gvw is 27k it weighs 14k empty I run 38k tags on the truck the dot isn't that hard on us around here sorry if they make it difficult on some of you guys. He has a bucket for it I haven't picked it up yet
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

bigred1951

seen your post about your dad wrecking your other ford. glad he is ok it looks bad. How did old blue handle it any damage

Birchwood Logging

Yea I'm glad he wasn't hurt it messed that truck up pretty good it never put a scratch or a dent in my blue truck the bed is made out of 3/8 steel though it has kinda put me in a bind going from 2 trucks hauling down to one

luvmexfood

Hey Birchwood. How far is  Cornettsville from like Pound or Norton Va? If you are in SW KY you are not a great distance from me.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

luvmexfood

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Birchwood Logging

I can be in wise va in about a hour I'm in between hazard and whitesburg. I got to try the track loader out today it runs and operates great her is a pic of the load I loaded with it today 

julio

I was born and raised in Knott CO
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

KyLogger

Heck yeah! Lookin good! That looks like pretty decent timber too! I am supposed to look at a job in Pikeville soon, pretty good drive for me but the timber is supposed to be exceptional. We'll see.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Birchwood Logging

That's good dose it have much white oak on it white oak is paying pretty good right now up to $5 a foot at Richard whites I took him a load today. I went through Morgan county to day and seen a lot of that blow down timber you have been cutting looks like a lot of people has blow down on there property. They better get it befor long looks like the bark is starting to slip on some of it good luck on your tract in pike co.

Birchwood Logging

Quote from: julio on December 30, 2013, 09:21:22 PM
I was born and raised in Knott CO
. What part of knot co. That's pretty close to me about 30 min drive

bigred1951

how well does richard whites do ya. They seem pretty fair? my parents live in morgan county and i drive there everyday going to work at the prison. Starting dayshift this sunday and have teusday wednesday off. On the 7th itll make a year i been there. I figure stick around it long enough to pay off a few more bills i owe and save some money up then move on and try my hand at logging or something

julio

Irishman Creek turn at beach of off RT15. Are you looking for another truck if you are pm me
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

KyLogger

You're hauling all the way to Morehead!?!? I only haul there when the local mill here shuts down. They like to stick it too me when I have to haul there. American Stave just opened this past summer in Morehead, heard they were paying top dollar for stave White Oak. I do really at Rick Smallwood's in Menifee Co. it's close and you will not find a more fair individual.

Yeah the blowdown is about done. Most of it leaved out this past summer, and it's still doin fair. The black oak is shaggin bark off and sap rotting BAD (but whats new) The poplar is still in good shape for the most part. In most stands I have been in I would estimate at least 50% loss from pre tornado values. Alot of good wood was turned into toothpicks. I can't wait to get outta this junk!

There is supposed to be a good bit of white oak on that Pike co. job, but man.....the freaking drive it will be! (if I get it)

Going to look at a small white oak veneer job tomm. not a big job but the quality is supposed to be good.

Tom

bigred1951

what mill in morgan co are you hauling to. Only place i can think of off top of my head that buys logs is that place on 519 just outside of west liberty

KyLogger

The one on 519 is Bill Fannin's other woodyard, no mill. He trucks it to Morehead from there. There is Fannin's out toward Crockett, I haul to the mill in Menifee. I live on the Menifee/Morgan Co.

Tom

timberjackrob

I would love to get back up around that area I went to lumber grading school in morehead in 1988 good times!!!went to all the area sawmills.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

Thank You Sponsors!