iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me mill

Started by crash, December 26, 2013, 10:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash

Quote from: beenthere on January 05, 2014, 04:31:34 PM
Follow the primer in "Behind the Forum" (first thread) and it is not hard. Just get your own gallery set up in your profile, .. let us know at what point it fails for you.

And always use the "Preview" button before the "Post" button to see if you have what you want. Or use the "Modify" button to correct and edit your post.

We'll help you over the hump.
Bygolly I think we got er now.

lyle niemi

Boy oh boy!!! ya have my interest now, sure wish I was closer so I could help!!!

beenthere

crash
Good on those pics. You are a fast learner.
That project looks like fun.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hardtailjohn

Wow!! Don't know just how I missed this thread, but I'm glad I'm here now!  That looks like a great mill!! I can't wait to see more pics and hear more as you get it going!
Lyle, what are some of the things you'd do different, or pass on to us "newbies"?  I'm hoping to get mine set this spring as soon as the mud dries.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

bandmiller2

Theirs something about an old circular mill, that one looks like it was well cared for. Skill with any mill comes slowly, after a wile you can look at a log on the carriage and know where the cut will be. Best of luck mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: hardtailjohn on January 06, 2014, 12:08:44 AM
Wow!! Don't know just how I missed this thread, but I'm glad I'm here now!  That looks like a great mill!! I can't wait to see more pics and hear more as you get it going!
Lyle, what are some of the things you'd do different, or pass on to us "newbies"?  I'm hoping to get mine set this spring as soon as the mud dries.
John
I think I would have hired a consultant...lol

Mountain Guardian

Very cool......

As for making money with a mill, my best friend went in with that idea, spent 30k on a nice used Mobile Dimensions mill, 7 years later he has not made a dime.

I figure the real money making potential in my mill is the ability to save money.  I can put in a hundred thousand in wood work here over the next ten years for about 20 thousand......  That is what I call a useful return on my investment.... not mention fun and handy as all get out....

crash

Quote from: lyle niemi on January 05, 2014, 11:03:30 PM
Boy oh boy!!! ya have my interest now, sure wish I was closer so I could help!!!
Lyle if you were I'd pay your consulting fee.  :)
Quote from: beenthere on January 05, 2014, 11:57:02 PM
crash
Good on those pics. You are a fast learner.
That project looks like fun.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, good instructions.
Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 07, 2014, 07:33:13 AM
Theirs something about an old circular mill, that one looks like it was well cared for. Skill with any mill comes slowly, after a wile you can look at a log on the carriage and know where the cut will be. Best of luck mate. Frank C.
Yes sir old circular mills are purdy darn neat, my Grandpa has an old Garr Scott with 671 detroit power, thats what put the bug in me years ago, I'd been waiting a long time for the right mill to come along when this one fell in my lap.
Anyone have any idea what brand/model the feedworks and carrage are? the rest of it is "shop built"

york

Hi,your Husk looks to be Frick,head block not sure of you need better pic. of them....

albert
Albert

crash

Quote from: york on January 09, 2014, 10:17:38 AM
Hi,your Husk looks to be Frick,head block not sure of you need better pic. of them....

albert
Thank you sir.

ddcuning

That NHB looks like it shares the same air intake and oil filters as my HRF-6. Cummins did keep a lot of the parts the same. I agree that the head saw looks like a Frick but the carriage does not. That is a beefy looking foundation under it.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

chopperdr47

Crash, we are in a similar situation with our mills. I have always been fascinated watching a mill (or most any machine) operate and I had been looking for something smaller when I found my Frick 0. I couldn't pass it up.

I found several publications on sawmilling, but Circular Sawmills and Their Efficient Operation has been the most beneficial to me so far.

I spent a lot of time leveling, squaring, plumbing, aligning, tweaking and cussing before I found it. Although I didn't have everything completely set-up yet, I wanted check my progress so I tried cutting a log. Very disappointing. The blade walked right out of the log on the board side knocking the carriage right off the track.

I got some help from some guys on another sawmill forum, Terry from B.H. Payne (sawmill supply near Atlanta), SawDoc.com http://www.sawdoc.com/troubleshooter.htm and some others that got me "straight".

There are a lot of variables that have to be in-line to get a circle mill cutting straight and square. But for me, that's part of the fun. I cut my teeth in the Army on the old CH-54B Skycrane then moved on to the CH-47D Chinook. I guess I'm attracted to big overpowered machines that try to sling themselves apart.

I managed to finally get a square 4x4 from a 16"x10' red water oak. Not very efficient but it's cutting straight and I learned a LOT. I'm glad I learned it now instead of after I have committed to a job. I have several people with logs on the ground waiting on me to get started.

Good luck on yours and take plenty of pictures of the move and set-up. I'll be looking forward to seeing them.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

hardtailjohn

Welcome to the forum Chopperdr47!  I used to take care of some helicopters too...but all small stuff. 
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum (too).

You may already have the Lunstrum Circular Sawmill pub, but if not then here is a .pdf.
Basic and covers the gamut.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Welcome chopper47! Crash-that is one NICE save on that mill, and edger to boot 8). Good on ya' fer saving it from the scrap man!!  I love seeing the old iron put back into service,  anxiously staying tuned to this channel!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

chopperdr47

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on December 26, 2013, 10:48:01 PM
Free PDF download: Small Sawmill Operators Manual

http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/CAT87208435/PDF

Another good source of info that I didn't have. Thanks for posting
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

crash

Hey fellas, thanks for everything so far! Impaitently waiting for the weather to clean up and the dang ol mud to go away so the move can begin. Grand dad sounds more than happy to give me a sawing lesson on his old Garr Scott so a trip to the west side is on order. 8)

bandmiller2

Realitors say location, location, location, sawyers say foundation, foundation, foundation. Set her up right and that's about 80%,study as many mills as you can visit and note their setup and material handling,good luck mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

crash

Got the motor and husk home the other day, probably bring the carrage and tracks home sometime this week. Trying to get rid of some mud holes at the new site so I can start digging out and pour some footings. ... The old Cummins hadn't run in many years she lit off this afternoon loud and proud blowing birds nests out the exhaust, ran like a champ. I am way to excited.  Sorry no pictures the big computer is on the fritz and posting from my "dumb phone" is a real pain in the rear.

Thank You Sponsors!