iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

odd flame

Started by r.man, December 25, 2013, 10:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

Has anyone that burns wood noticed a blue/white flame when snowy wood is added to a hot fire? Tonight was not unusual for me, I stirred up the OWB, pulled any blocks and pieces into the front coal area of the firebox and agitated the coals/ashes above the grates to get good airflow. Everything was working good so the stove started to roar before I put the nights wood in. All of the wood I put in had some snow on it and by the time the last piece was placed I noticed that I once again had an odd flame jumping through the new wood. It is blueish white and very raggedy and broken. It is mostly made up of small "bursts" of flames consisting of tubular components. Very unlike a normal flame in colour, size or consistency. Anyone know what is happening?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

beenthere

How about the instant effect on the flames from the steam produced when the snow melts to water?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DDDfarmer

Hotter flame?  Maybe there is enough moisture to crack into oxygen and hydrogen?  Hydrogen burns blue. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

jueston

Quote from: DDDfarmer on December 26, 2013, 06:31:22 PM
Hotter flame?  Maybe there is enough moisture to crack into oxygen and hydrogen?  Hydrogen burns blue. 

if the fire was around 5000°F the water would indeed split into hydrogen and oxygen and they would burn...

so the question is, do you think your fire was at 5000°?

DDDfarmer

Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

doctorb

I find, if I stir the coals and scrape the air holes when the fan is running ( I use a 2X4 to depress the soor switch), I often get a bursting white, roaring flame isolated near the air holes.  I have assumed that this is the superheating and combustion of the creosote that I just "stirred up".  I have no verification of that fact.  I do not see that flame emerging between the new logs that I have just loaded, as your post describes, but it may be the same process.  I like doing this because I believe it helps keep my air passages open and unclogged, and I also clear the holes themselves during this cleaning process with a long metal rod which has a slight bend on one end.  You can sometimes see creosote coming from the holes.  Most times, the creosote ignites and just burns off.  Warning - do not perform this maneuver with a large load of very hot coals and other fuel in the firebox.  Wait until the coal bed is lower so that you can safely access all areas of the firebox with your scraper tool without getting burned.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

r.man

Doc, in my case the combustion air is being forced upward through grates, ash, coals and then the new wood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

jhellwig

Steam mixed with fire does funny things.

On the large gas fired boilers at work it is really neat to watch the burner where there is a tube leak that sprays into the flame.  The flame gets blue and dances wildly.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

Thank You Sponsors!