iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How many cords a day?

Started by redneck logger, December 25, 2013, 09:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redneck logger

was wondering how many cords a day in half decent softwood and hardwood working 8-4 cutting with a ms250
got to love working in the woods

Stephen Alford

Hey redneck, I see its been a day and you have not had a response.   I can throw out a couple of numbers , but every variable has an effect on productivity for example stand type, access, weather,dress,prep, helper,  attitude, pay schedule conditioning ,experience ,action reaction etc. Generally speaking ; this is trail cutting and piling for removal by forwarder scaled in the woods, six day week.....  new guys 6-12 cords,steady with some experience 18-26 cords, pros 26-35 cords,  best on the ground scale I ever had was 54 cords cut and piled by one man.  This was an exceptional individual .  Just wanted to put a couple numbers on here for you.   :)
logon

enigmaT120

I can't cut from 8 - 4 so I'll never find out.  Are you making firewood or cutting logs?

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

redneck logger

im in some spruce thats starting to die so im cutting it for pulpwood,im cutting by my self i usually only get 4 to 5 hours and im wore out for the day.
got to love working in the woods

barbender

The guy that cut and piled 54 cords is someone I wouldn't trifle with.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

I will 2nd that. We figure hand cutting on a decent site with decent sized stuff a man should cut and top 50-60  plus trees  a day, less in hemlock, but rough figure.

cutter88

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 26, 2013, 04:21:01 PM
I will 2nd that. We figure hand cutting on a decent site with decent sized stuff a man should cut and top 50-60  plus trees  a day, less in hemlock, but rough figure.

bargemonky I always figured the same normal lengh skid averge terrain one man cut top and skid anthing above 45 is a good day we average 50 to 55
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

cutter88

then theres always those guys telling stories about how they could cut top and skid 80 to 100 trees any day of the week..my response to that was always a big smile and saying ur one heck of a guy lol
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Firewoodjoe

I know when dad was cutting by hand he cut skidded and loaded then hauled 12-15 cord in two days. Took the pickup and Cut the first day then took the semi and skidded loaded and hauled the second day. I trim 60-100 cord for a slasher everyday. Average 8-10 tanks in the saw. Best was 16  those are 8 hour days and rest at lunch

Alexanderthelate

My grandfather could tell a story about a guy who could cut, limb and pile 1 cord of pulp wood in an hour... With an axe and buck saw. That was a dude you don't trifle with.  :o

From my experience cutting firewood with a chainsaw and pick-up, one, young and hard working man in good physical condition, with a chainsaw, can have one cord in an hour, cut, limbed and lugged out on his shoulder. But I would hate to keep that pace up for eight hours. That is in half decent wood, on half decent ground. You can figure less production for hard ground and poor wood, and higher production if you have equipment to do the lugging for you.

CCC4

LMAO @ Stephen..."Hey redneck"!...pftt! Too funny! (I'm a full fledged redneck so I can LMAO at this  ;D)

Redneck...(LOL)...ya have alot of variables there...I figure it all depends on how good a faller you are and how quick you can get the trees to the ground. Saw size is also a big "?"...ms 250's are real small aren't they?? We don't measure anything in cords...not even firewood so I couldn't tell ya how many cords in a day I can cut. However I cut normally 7 days a week and cut 8 to 9 hours a day average, and I will generally cut around 3 semi loads of pine nearly every day and if everything goes perfect sometimes 4 loads...plus throw in some oak saw logs. I figure most of it is determination...you're not going to just walk out there the first couple days and cut hard and fast for 8 hours...your body has to get use to the load.

Best thing you can do is take a daily average and weekly tally and see where you can improve on production. But like I said there are lots of variables to deal with. Good luck man! Cheers!

shortlogger

There's a lot to be said for a experienced faller , I have worked with men twice my age that could always put more wood in the deck by the end of the day . I was trying to work harder they were working smarter .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

terry f

Around here the only thing in cords is firewood, I can do one cord in a day, and need three days rest and recouping before I would think about it again. Needless to say, I would starve to death if I had to make my living in the woods, its enjoyment for me.

Stephen Alford

This lad and his bud came from Newfoundland. They were always just a couple of cords apart. The difference was one got the lunch ready.  The lad that scaled the 54 moved to PEI and we meet in the grocery store from time to time. Our wives just say hello roll their eyes and continue on leaving us blocking the isle and yakin.  :D
     These lads were different from the get go. They did their math. They  went to the company and  worked a deal. They meet certain quotas with quality parameters and got paid more. They also got to cut the best blocks.  The didn't take a drink,great shape, I never ever even heard them cuss. They drove a relatively new 4x4  1/4 ton with a cap. Stands out in my mind, could eat off the floor in the front and the back had a cap. Rear of truck was totally organized. Spare saws, parts the whole deal,like a mini shop. They were on site every day at crowpiss and were the last to leave. Had to go look for them at the end of the day more than once.  They only clearcut and would have to say 60% of their wood was piled when it fell.  When mechanical CTL came along and cutters were laid off and let go they just moved into felling tree length.  In the end they had the skidder.  Great guys ,makes me smile just thinking about them.   Learned a lot from them, wish they had given a course when I went to school.
    Dot board scaling was a bit different.  The cutter could get paid for wood as soon as it was put up.  Some cutters carried their own board  or would borrow mine and scale their own wood. I also did a night shift on the porter so if someone wanted their wood piled seperate that could be done.  I must confess at night when it was storming or when I needed to get done in a hurry knowing where and who had the best strips made the day.
   Redneck I notice you are 18 and working alone, if there is anything that will help , especially from a safety perspective please just ask. As you must be aware there is a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience with the ff members; thanks to Jeff its yours for the asking.   :)
logon

CX3

Ive only met a few guys that could give a class on working in the woods.  Of them, I am not one.  I could have a class on how to tear up a new saw, or rip a tire off the skidder, or hang a tree, or.......
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Rick Alger

Back around 1960 a lot of the wood around here (NH) was cut 4 foot and piled to measure in the woods. The local paper mill had a demonstration of how much wood a man could cut and pile with a chain saw. The cutter was a Canadian named Paul Cloutier. He cut and piled  16 and 1/2 cords in a nine hour day. This was under ideal conditions with ideal wood.
When I started I could do about three cords a day. There were men doing five or six. Nobody working steady came close to cutting record amounts every day.

ancjr

I'm in the same category as CX3, sounds like.

36 coupe

The amount of cords cut in a day is a bit like the length of fish caught.I put in about 4 hours and might get 2 cord.Thats 8000 pounds of wood handled.At 76 Im slowing down a bit.It takes 2 days to get over an 8 hour day.I pile brush and cut down to small stuff for the cook stove.

Thank You Sponsors!