iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry "Winter Skin"

Started by Chuck White, December 25, 2013, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

As we go into Winter, I really have a problem with dry skin!

Anyone found anything to be helpful for dry cracked heels and hands as well as an itchy back?

Some days my heels are painful enough the I hate to stand!

Someone once told me that I shower to often, I shower every day, wonder if there's any truth to it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Might be the soap too that is drying your skin out. I wonder when and if you find some lotion that will work,if you could put a bunch on your heels and than go to bed with socks on to keep the lotion on your heels.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ST Ranch

Agree with CFARM about lotion - I use a lotion after I shower at nite and sit with feet up for a few minutes to soak in - vaseline intensive care or Avelo [?sp] - type lotion  something not greasy [water soluable]
Also type of boots and socks make a huge difference - I find rubber boots are the worst - I try to wear a boot with a liner if possible - ALso I find expensive fine knit WOOL socks the best in winter -  anything with nylon or polyester just suck the moisture from my feet.
Tom 
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Onthesauk

Gold Bond lotion, green bottle.  They have a gold bottle if it gets bad enough.  Have been using it the last few years and works well for me.  Slather it on after a shower and haven't had a problem since.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

Chunk,I'm a firm beliver in 2 pair of good socks too,even if it's 80°.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Sometimes when it would get bad enough, I'd put a good smear of "Bag Balm" on my feet then socks and go to bed like that and usually 2 nights would be enough to take care of them.

On an average day, if I'm around the house, I use lotions quite a lot, and found that the ones with less perfumes in them work best!

I've also switched bath soaps a few times, doesn't seem to make much difference!

Thanks for the tips guys!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

I switch from plain Irish Spring to Irish Spring with aloe in the winter otherwise my skin gets dry. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Magicman

Gold Bond makes a sho nuff foot lotion that works.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Hey Chuck,  I fight some of the same issues

http://okeeffescompany.com/index.php?page=working-hands

this product works well its a bit pricy but goes a long way,

Drink more water and yes you can shower every other day
in cooler water, unless your "stinking"
Not sure on your water but a charcoal filter will pull
lots of chlorine and other stuff out, you can get a shower mounted filter

DGDrls

Chuck White

Thanks for the Tips.

Think I'll find a soap with Aloe, completely forgot about that!

Dan; Our water is excellent, Spring water gravity flows right to our house and the spring itself has a 2inch overflow that runs into a watering tub for the cattle, which runs 24-7-365, has never quit.

coxy

for my feet I use babby powder  never thought of it on my hands at night ill try it

Delawhere Jack

Add a humidifier in the house?

Years ago a girlfriend introduced me to Neutrogena sesame oil, expensive, but one bottle lasts a long time. A couple drops on the dry skin as soon as you towel off after showering, while your skin is still moist. Made a huge difference on my elbow and shins which always got dry and scaly in the winter.

Peter Drouin

Bag Balm works for me. All I use. And 2 pair of socks is best  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Roxie

My skin can get so dry that it hurts.  A trick that I've learned is to put body lotion or oil on before you towel dry your skin.  To keep my heels and bottom of my feet from cracking, I use Barielle foot cream.  It's wonderful!
Say when

Alcranb

Another vote for bag balm. I wear a polypropylene sock liner and then a wool sock.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

OneWithWood

Zim's Crack Crème is the best thing I have found.  Working with wood dries my hands out quickly.  I use the Zim's year round.
It can be hard to find.  I special order it through our local CVS.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Member Mapleflats sells something for hands and feet from his website.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

BradMarks

Another user of Bag Balm here. But I put it on my heels thick in the morning, then my socks. Walking and activity works it in better I think. And I don't like wearing socks to bed!.  Usually a few days of that regimen and I can skip days after that. That and using the wife's heel scrubber in the shower every morning.  Having cracked heels so bad it hurts to walk is no fun at all >:(

Wellmud

Gold Bond here as well, I too have very dry winter skin, especially my hands as I work with water, constantly getting wet and drying them.  The Gold Bond works well for me and does not have a perfume smell that irritates my nose.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Magicman

I have been using the Gold Bond foot lotion on my hands.  Awesome. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

Quote from: Magicman on January 29, 2014, 09:45:15 AM
I have been using the Gold Bond foot lotion on my hands.  Awesome. 

and now hand stands and walking on his hands is not a problem :D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

But I am having trouble holding my fork between my toes.   ;D

Bill Gaiche

MM, I bet Pat will have something to say about that.. bg

isawlogs

I use bag balm and bees wax for salade bowls.  I find that the bees wax is better then the bag balm, alot less greassy also smells good.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!