iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bulk bar and chain oil

Started by Southside, December 24, 2013, 10:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Anybody know where the best price for bar and chain oil can be had?  I am guessing 55 gallon drums would have a savings to it?  Of course presuming I could find it close to Virginia and did not have to truck it across the country.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Corley5

I've looked at different petroleum dist. in my area, auto parts chains, Ponsee, chainsaw shops etc.  The cheapest I've found is Tractor Supply by the gallon jug.  Larger amounts aren't always less.  AW 32 hydraulic oil costs more locally in 55 gallon drum than it does in 5 gallon buckets  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kemper

Our local Napa buys it by the pallet I can get it from them at $6.99 a gallon.

Corley5

I bought a bunch at a local TSC for $6.00 a gallon last fall.  It was on sale for about 6 weeks.  It's gone back up to $6.99 now but the manager says another sale is coming up.  I've got quite a bit left and am watching for the next sale  ;) ;D  The other local TSC was at $7.00 a gallon on sale and is at $10.00 now.  It's all about demographics  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

I like used hydraulic oil, whenever I have to change a hydraulic hose I catch the oil that drains out in a bucket. I'm just using it in my chainsaw, but a buddy of mine saves his hydraulic oil from his service intervals on his Ponsse processor and uses it for his processor saw. Otherwise, the local Cenex has the cheapest bar oil right now. It used to be Wal-mart.
Too many irons in the fire

bill m

I used to buy my bar oil in drums ( yes, it was a lot cheaper ) but found it was not worth the trouble. I do not have a heated space to keep it in so when the weather was turning cold I would have to fill gallon jugs to get me through the winter. Barrel pumps don't work well at 20 degrees. You may not have that problem in Va.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Northern Timber Harvesting

I used to get it by the barrel for a lot cheaper. Check with local oil companies, I got tank and line cleanings with added tackifier? when they emptied bulk tanks, and hoses they would mix it all together then add something to make it tacky. Some times it was red, some times it smelled like gear oil. It always worked good though. Although the last time I checked, one place told me they had to stop doing that because they couldn't produce an MSDS sheet for it due to the multiple products in it.

DDDfarmer

Bought it from the local bulk dealer.  Worked out to $7.20 a gallon but had to buy 5 cases min.  Ordered enough for three of us,  need to order more soon. 
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

sealark37

The important factor in bar & chain oil is the transportation cost from producer/distributor/dealer.  The only way to get a deal on bulk is to buy it from the producer.  Since most comes from cleaning and purging tanks, tankers, and barges, you need to find someone who does this service near you.  If it has to be standardized, packaged, and shipped, $6 a gallon is about as cheap as it gets.    Regards, Clark

Philbert

Depends on how picky you are, if you are brand loyal, willing to run substitutes, etc.

If you are willing to run any generic bar and chain oil, the best deal is usually gallons on sale. Sometimes $5.00 a gallon locally. Sometimes Bailey's has theirs on sale.

Many years ago I had to purchase supplies for a fleet. I could not buy motor oil in bulk as cheap as I could in quarts from the discount auto parts place. I spoke to the manager, explained by situation, and he asked me to just contact him ahead of time so that I did not clear out inventory for other customers.

Philbert

thecfarm

I checked into years ago,'93. Cheaper to keep buying it by the gallon jug. But I did not have an account with a parts store or a oil distributor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

Right now, I have about 4 gallons in a pail, it's probably 3 gallons ISO46 hydraulic and 1 gallon of 80-90 from a couple of swing can repairs on the forwarder. I think the 80-90 will provide the tack, it's a little thick so I'll cut it with a bit of #1 diesel. I'll be set for chainsaw bar oil for a while. You guys that are running mechanical, what do you do with your waste hydraulic oil?

1270d

I've never specifically changed hyd oil in the harvester.    I always figures it gets changed out often enough through blown hoses.  We have in the forwarders, but have a waste oil heater in the shop that uses all drain oils.

barbender

I'd let that waste oil burner have the nasty old motor oil and save the clean oil for bar oil and save the $7.00 per gallon. Our harvesters get drained at least once a year, in the spring. I see your point though 1270d, harvesters (and forwarders sometimes) tend to get a lot of rejuvenating fresh oil ;D

1270d

I send in hyd oil samples occasionally to ensure the viscosity numbers are OK and it hasn't degraded or gotten contaminated somehow. 

Same with engine oil.  Each time the sample info came back and said the oil was good.  Push it another fifty hours. And another. And another.  Now changing engine oil at 500 hour intervals.   Not going any more than that.

Thank You Sponsors!