iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GIMMIE A BREAK!!!

Started by AtLast, May 30, 2004, 05:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

How many of you have the prevebile " neighbor" that just HAS to be a pain in the hinder parts?....The place I set my yard up is on 5 acres and is surrounded by other 5 acre lots....this particular place is my cousins house in the country....we put up a privacy fence ( all milled from ash) the hide the logs and help with the noise.....we took a decible meter and did readings from right next to the mill to as far away as 2 acres...at its loudest it was at 77 DES. Now...this " guy" comes over telling us we are invading his " air space" and he was gunna take us to court....keep in mind I approached the township ordinence person and told him of the operation and on top of that we  fall into the Michigan agricultural act that allows this to occure...so anyway now I am haveing to deal with this butt head and have compared the noise to that of the mowers used in this area which ALL put out MORE sound than the mill...also we NEVER mill past 5pm and NEVER run 2 pieces of equiptment at the same time to also help with noise levels..I TOTALLY appreciate  " quiet time" and have NO intention of upsetting anyone but there is ALWAYS the 1 " eighbor" that HAS to cause trouble......what are your thoughts and feelings to this please?

SwampDonkey

My experience has been that its always the new comers to a neighborhood that stir things up. It could be that the guy moved there to get away from a noisey neighorhood. Or the guy has a distrust of everyone and thinks someone is doing something to pith him off, personally. And they end up watchin your every move like a hawk, ready to move in for a confrontation. Reminds me of the neighbors that moved from Holland and bought the farm comin 'round my place lookin for stuff he misplaced. While his hired help is stealing and selling things out from under him. sheeesh. Nobody in the nieghborhood likes to visit him cause he's made himself a pain in the behind compalining and blaming everyone for this, that and the other thing.

Also, its often times just someone who spends to much time making his own life unpleasant by worrying and fussin over nothing. These types are quite hyper and my brother is one, anything sets him off and if I'm on the phone talkin to him I have to pull the ear piece away from my ear drums {{{}}}. :D :D

I just stay away from folks that can't get along, and mind my own business. All most of us want is to get through this world the best way we know how and hope for something better in the hear after. :)

Try not to get all worked up over it and as long as you've done the best you can to satisfy the neighbors and the bi-laws and anyone else involved, then that's the best anyone can hope for. ;)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tam-i-am

We had a run in with a pain in the neck neighbor too.  One morning we hired a guy to come in to clear for the mill yard.  He was there just after 7 am which meets with the town ordinance.  When he started up the D8 our neighbor came over in his pajamas to yell at the guy in the dozer.  So being neighborly I baked him a pan of brownies.  That evening Kevin took the brownies over and planned to apologize.  The neighbor took the pan of brownies and slammed the door in Kevin's face.  So much for the apology.

As a result we rehired the dozer guy to come back and clear a new location for the mill farther from the neighbor's house.  It has now cost us an extra 2K to put a road in.  I'm sure our neighbor does not appreciate our efforts.

I think there is no pleasing some people!  Good Luck!!
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Rocky_J

Did somebody mention brownies?
 8) 8) 8) 8)

Tam-i-am

Hey Rocky - didn't you know brownies come with every tool, didn't you get yours?  You better check with the UPS guy. ;)

Rocky_J

Yup, thank you Tami! They were awesome, better than my mom makes.  :-*  :)

Ron Wenrich

Well, since you're zoned ag, you could tell your neighbor that you have decided to get out of the mill business and are turning your attentions to raising hogs.  I would arrange to have the hog lot closest to his boundary line.

We run our mill, complete with chipper, debarker and gen set,  from 6:30 AM to 4 PM.  There are trucks that leave a lot earlier and come a lot later.  Chainsaws, trucks and processors run on Saturdays as well.  No complaints from the neighbors since we were there first.  But, if they ever need any mulch or sawdust, we can manage to give them some for free.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Mark M

Did you get the pan back?

Heck I would let just about anything slide for a pan of brownies! - especially if they were frosted. ;D

Stan

I like the ones where you moisten the mix with chocolate syrup. Don't need no stinkin' frosting.  8) 8) 8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

steveo_1

Hey, Atlast you got any chickens?Hogs may work well too but i dont care for a bunch of pigs myself, but they are good eating.Id just like to see that guy bout 4 a.m when them roosters start crowing plus you get eggs and meat.
got wood?

Norm

I have to go with the telling him your thinking that some piggers and some chickens with a couple of roosters that start up at sunrise are in order. Make sure and tell him any legal fees you incurr are going to come out of his pocket when he loses.

Tamiam!! brownies I luvs brownies, there's a spot out back where you can run that D8 all the time and heck I'll even supply the pan. :)

Tam-i-am

Since you guys like the brownies so much, I am trying to get Kevin to carry a new product.  What do you think?

Tammy

Kevin_H.

I think that as long as you are legal, I would just let the guy bark...I doubt that anything would come of it.

and I would take him to small claims for the pan  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Huney_Red_Oak

wellllll... i am thinking the nasty neighbor must be single for a reason...  stuff on city paper is worth more than the froth that comes from a spoiled disposition of an individual...  beside all that... keep on logging !!!   :-)   :-*
Loving Trees and others . . .

Dom

I forgot excatly what region this happened in but I know it was in NB. A pig farmer was running his business, when a few neighboors moved close by.  They started complaining about the smell. They brought the farmer  to court saying it was ruining there air quality. They won. He suicided himself since the only thing he had worked for was now gone. This really irittated me, as anyone with a head on there shoulder will know that a pig farm will not always be easy on the nostrils, consequently; you don't build your house near one! Also the farmer was doing in the area way before the others moved in. He was doing his life and they basically ruined it.  

Yes neighboors can be iratating, but don't let it get to you to much! Maybe people should think about the consequence on others before taking action. Ya gotta work to make a living.  

james

nother example:
I-80 turnpike w indiana there long before the houses they move right next to the fwy, complain about the noise and now "no jake brakes allowed" ::) ::) ::) >:( >:(

SwampDonkey

Dom:

Yeah , that was the Sullivans. That attitude is just par for the course from our government bureaucrats. Because of the widely publicized story, his wife did get 'some' compensation. There are alot of folks that get written off like the trash out on the curb, and the public don't know about. I know his father and brother who live in Killoween and a sister in Centreville, NB.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

iain

is there anything you americans wont invade  :)
i get on mostly really with mine as my work shop is smack in the middle of the city im surrounded by other work shops so sound is not much of a problem and i dont smell much anyway ;D

Dom

QuoteDom:

Yeah , that was the Sullivans. That attitude is just par for the course from our government bureaucrats. Because of the widely publicized story, his wife did get 'some' compensation. There are alot of folks that get written off like the trash out on the curb, and the public don't know about. I know his father and brother who live in Killoween and a sister in Centreville, NB.

I only remember little details about this scenario. I'm sure it happens often, and nobody nows about it. :(   Its sad that our government will let it happen.

On a side note, a person living on our road complained to the RCMP that the traffic was going to fast. The RCMP started to patrol the area, and let it be known the first person they caught speeding was the plaintiff!  :D  :D

Ron Wenrich

Our state has a right to farm law.  You can't move into an area and expect farming to stop.  The smells of most farming activities is usually for a short duration.  However, a farmer can't move in and put in a factory farm.  A lot of that is governed on the local level.  The factory farmers are trying to sneak in legislation that will take all controls away from the locals.  

We had one farmer move into a farm and was going to put in a factory hog farm.  Closest neighbor was a KOA campground.  He was threatened with some lawsuits and ended up building a poultry house.  That wasn't nearly as offensive as the factory farm.

We had several lawyers buy up several farms and were going to make a factory hog farm on it.  The local farmers made sure they didn't put one in.  There was too much of a problem with nutrients washing into the streams.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Dom:

How would you like the wife to get an obscene phone call late at night from a government employee telling her that if you talk we'll make life difficult for ya. That's just a taste of some of the stuff that goes on. Look at who signed your license and you'll see a name of a person well known for this among the farming community. Too put the icing on the cake, alot of these bureaucrats grew up with some of the folks their causing grief too. Nice society we have. ;)

Dom

I doubt that'll happen since I'm 23 and single!  ;D But yes, that would be horrible. My father is a family physicain, so I've heard of a few stories about our crummy government as well. He was also a farmer and already went to court against the Crown, but that was a whole different story.  

etat

I once had a neighbor who called the law on me cause my geese would wander over into her yard sometimes.  So I fixed a fence they couldn't get across.  SHE'D still call the law sometimes and complain 'that my geese were in her yard or my cows were to close to her fence, which was my fence cause I put it up, one foot this side of the property line. !  .  The law got to where they wouldn't listen to her and quit coming out.  Finally she moved.
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Stan

CK, did she take "her" fence with her when she left?  :) :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Swede

Posted by: Stan Posted on: Today at 03:44:31
CK, did she take "her" fence with her when she left?    

:D :D :D :D :D

..............and the gees being at her side?

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!