iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sinus issues

Started by bedway, December 24, 2013, 06:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

Well, i know why the older people use to tell me all the time when i was younger to wear a dust mask or respirator when sanding, grinding, and doing all those dust and fume jobs. Ive been better the last several years wearing them but my sinuses drive me crazy now. Along with wearing masks i also use my Netti pot which does help. In the shop today wearing a dust mask i was sharpening one of my bands for the mill, cutting some wood for my son in law, and teaching my grandson how to saw wood on the band saw. That being said, i think i better break down and buy a good respirator because i cant quit doing the things i love. Any opinions or recommendations on a good mask?

goose63

Get one the painter's it's kinda like a gas mask with out the top half :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Magicman

I wear one now partly because I did not when I needed to.

While sawing, mowing grass, woodworking/sanding, it is always on.  The exhalation valve prevents moisture buildup.

This is the one that I use:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gary_C

Magicman, you'd never guess what those were originally designed for. Well yes, maybe you would.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Left Coast Chris

I have one similar to Magicmans and it works well.  For the times I get a dose of dust or particles I also spray Ocean saline nasal spray in each nostril (3 squirts in each) and that can work wonders.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Red Good

Cold weather goes away so do my sinus headaches . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

sawguy21

Sinus issues drive me nuts. >:( I have suffered for years, partial hearing loss because of it. I have to wear a mask in dusty conditions too.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

giant splinter

Thanks for the link, did you noticed that they offer used dust masks also ........ they are asking more for the used ones, must be an error.
roll with it

Magicman

:D  Maybe the used ones are clogged with dirt which increases the weight/shipping cost.   ;D

Seriously, those are good masks.  I wear them until they get grungy or the straps give way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Pollen is as bad for me as the dust from the mill, at least for now, but years down the road, I might be singing a different tune,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hardtailjohn

I used to have terrible sinus problems...went through the surgery and all that...still had them. I'd go from feeling ok to down on the floor in pain within just minutes.  Then I got talked into trying accupuncture. Best thing I ever did!! I can breathe and very seldom have any issues anymore!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

doctorb

Got to give Magicman some credit here.  I "won" a gift at the Pigroast last year which had been donated by Magicman.  Amongst the useful items enclosed was a box of these masks.  I now use them every time I clean out my OWB.  They have been very effective in preventing the inhalation of the ash dust that gets airborne during that activity.  I like these mask and will purchase more when my supply runs low.  And he's right, unless they get wet, they are reusable until you can't stand the look of them any more.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

I had forgotten who won that doorprize.  If I remember correctly, half of those masks were also carbon impregnated.  I believe that every item was directed toward safety.

Thank You Sponsors!