iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Forestry Forum "Night Before Christmas"

Started by Andy White, December 24, 2013, 09:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Twas the night before Christmas, and all thru the Mill, not a creature was stirring, not even a Stihl! The bands were hung by the mill with care, in hopes that a large Walnut soon would be there. The clamps and dogs were nestled all snug on the bed, while visions of Sweetgum danced in their heads; and mamma in her gloves, and I in my chaps, had just settled our brains for a long winter nap; when out by the mill there arose such a clatter, I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter! Away to the window I flew like a flash, tore open the shutters and threw up the sash. The moon, on the breast of the new fallen snow, gave a luster of midday to objects below, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a miniature Timberjack and eight tiny chains, with a little old driver so lively and quick, I knew in a moment it must be St. Nick. More rapid than eagles his loggers they came, he whistled and shouted and calls them by name, Now JD, now Caterpillar, now Treefarmer, and Case, on IH on C5, on Fabtec and Ponsse! To the top of the shed, to the top of the wall, now skid away skid away, skid away all. As dry leaves that before the wild  hurricane  fly, when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky, so up to the house top the skidders  they flew with a twitch full of logs and St. Nicholas too. And then in a twinkling on the roof, the ripping and gripping of each little tire. As I drew in my head, and was turning around, down the chimney St. Nick came with a bound. He was dressed all in fur from his head to his foot, and his clothes were all tarnished with sawdust and pitch, a bundle of LOGRITES he had flung on his back, and he looked like a miller just opening his pack. His eyes how they twinkled! His dimples-how merry, his cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry. His droll little mouth was drawn up in a bow and the beard on his chin was as white as snow. The stump of a cigar he held tight in his teeth, and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath. He had a broad face, and a big round belly that shook when he laughed, like a bowlful of GRITS! He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf, and I laughed when I saw him, HE LOOKED LIKE MYSELF. A wink of his eye, a twist of his head, soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread. He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work, and filled all the DECKS with PINE, OAK, and BIRCH, then turned with a lurch, and laying his finger aside of  his nose, and giving a nod, up the chimney he rose. He sprang to his SKIDDER, to his team gave a whistle, and away they all flew like the down of a thistle. But I heard him exclaim, as he drove out of sight, MERRY CHRISTMAS to all, and to all, GOOD NIGHT!!!    Now my wish for the entire Forestry Forum membership, and sponsors : Have a safe and Merry Christmas and a Great New Year.  Thanks    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

pine

Very nice!!
Happy Christmas to all the members and may Santa bring you the "toys" that you need

Bill Gaiche

Andy, that is pretty cool. Wishing you a Very Merry Christmas also. bg

clww

SUPER job, Andy! :)
A Merry Christmas to all and a Happy New Year.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Kingcha

a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

wwsjr

Great, enjoyed. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

mad murdock

Very well done Andy!! Merry Christmas to you and all the rest on the FF!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

Thank you Andy for your inspiring prose.  And thank you also for being the man that you are and one that I can call a Friend.   :christmas:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Well done.
Merry Christmas to all. and  :new_year:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

That was fun!! 8) 8)
Merry Christmas everyone.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

EZ

SLawyer Dave

drobertson

Thanks Andy! that was quite clever, a very enjoyable read,  Merry Christmas to you and yours as well, and a very :new_year:        david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Very nice indeed!  Merry Christmas to all of you!

DbltreeBelgians

That was an awesome story Andy. Thanks for putting a smile on my face.  :)  Wishing you and all the members here at the FF a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Brent

ayerwood

Great job!  That was fun. Merry Christmas to all...

Ken

Really enjoyed that.  Thanks for taking the time.  Merry Christmas to all

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Deese

Thank You for the wonderful poem! Merry Christmas to you and everyone on here! Glory To God In The Highest!!
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Beefie

That was enjoyable. Merry Christmas Andy.

Beefie

Klicker

Great poem. A another talent is reviled on the FF. Merry Christmas Rod :new_year:
2006 LT 40 HD

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

Seems like we all get reviled occasionally. ;D :snowball: :snowfight1:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!