iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Christmas Traditions

Started by Magicman, December 24, 2013, 08:28:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

As our family has evolved from us having a young family and visiting our parents on Christmas, we are now the "Old Folks".  Our Children have their families and even a Grandchild, so the majority of the day is theirs with their families.

Instead of the traditional Christmas foods/meal, for several years Pat has made a large pot of Gumbo.  The "clan" will begin gathering here around mid-afternoon and we will all enjoy a hot bowl of Shrimp Gumbo for our Christmas evening meal. 
This has become our Christmas Tradition.    :christmas:

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

Not a tradition but my wife is making a big pot of rabbit stew from wild rabbits  for today.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My Dad was saying just about the same thing the other day Magic.
My Mom has been gone almost 5 years now.
Its just my Dad, My Brother and his wife, me Julie and Paul.
The only difference we do now since Mom is gone....we invite an older couple that lives down the road from us to spend Christmas with us. Their family is scattered all over the West. Its hard so see them alone a Christmas without their children and grand-children, so they eat with us.
We have a Honey Baked Ham with all the fix'ns , a fire in the fireplace, and just talk, laugh and yes, shed a few tears when we talk about the ones that are not with us.
We are blessed and thankful for this time.
Merry Christmas to all Y'all!
smiley_christmas
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

firecord

I cook breakfast or brunch as some people call it.  My kids, their kids, my parents, inlaws, and some friends.  All arive around 8, gives the grand kids time to enjoy their santa and then off to papaws.  It is the favorite couple hours of my life! 

sandhills

Our family is much the same, we used to always spend Christmas eve evening at Grandmas but now everyone has their own families and spread out over several states so it's become more of 'when ever it works for everyone' sort of thing.  We do still spend Christmas eve with my wife's family though so that's the plan for today, this will be our third get together in as many days, I do believe I've foundered.  Merry Christmas everyone!

drobertson

We get together with Christy's folks on Christmas Eve and Christmas day with the extended family, around 40 aunts, uncles, cousins. After noon diner we play naughty santa with the gifts,  Although this year Christy and I will be heading north, burr! to see our daughter and son in law, leaving in the morning, I did my first brisket last night in a smoker, later today will be the feed,  Merry Christmas to all and I wish you all a very Happy New Year!   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

We will watch Its a Wonderful Life together and this year we may balance the oozing niceness with The Ref.
I do not recommend The Ref for anyone who minds coarse language. Turkey and the works plus a vegan substitute for my daughters.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

clww

Tonight, my wife and I will go to her 91 year old Mother's house for our traditional Polish Christmas Eve dinner. I think there will be six of us eating tonight. A portion of the food was blessed by the priest at last Saturday's Polish Catholic Mass. This is held once a month in Norfolk, and spoken entirely in Polish. We eat a meal beginning at twilight when the first star appears, always consisting of an odd number of courses. No meat is eaten, but we'll have bread, wine, pickles, pickled herring, Polish sausage, perroggies, borsh, and fish.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

RynSmith

clww, what is Polish sausage?  ???

clww

From my understanding, it is created, seasoned, and cased using traditional Polish methods and recipes. I do know that it can be difficult to locate, as only specialty stores and markets will have it.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Roger2561

This evening after I eat dinner, I'll call my siblings and wish them and their families a wonderful and Merry Christmas.  I'll then pour myself a glass of bourbon to sip on while either listening to Christmas music or watching a Christmas special on TV.  Around 11:00pm, I'll get ready so I can attend the mid-night Mass where I'll bump into 4 of my 8 siblings.  Our mom and dad are no longer with us and some of the traditions we had when I was younger have fallen away but we have made our own traditions to take their place. 

I have a wonderful memory when I was child; every night a week before Christmas dad would have an excuse to go to the barn to check on something around 7:00pm in the evening.   As a child our minds were not on what dad was doing, it was on the pending arrival of Santa.  On Christmas Eve, around 7:00pm dad made the same excuse that had to check on something in the barn.  While he was in the barn tending to whatever it was he had to check on, Santa would do a fly-by.  Mom said it Santa checking on us kids to be sure we were behaving ourselves.  When he flew over, we could hear the sleigh bells ringing.  If ever you want to get children excited about Santa, try it sometime.  You'll never get them to bed.  :)  When we got older we learn that dad had a set of bells stored in the barn just for the occasion.  He hid them until the next Christmas Eve.   Dad always worried that we find the bells but we never did.   Merry Christmas, everyone!  Roger
Roger

Stephen1

For 27 years that we lived in the old house,  everyone, family and friends would visit, sometimes as many as 50 people, and we would all walk next door to church for some hyms. We would then return. Santa Clause would be dressed up and come visit with everyone children and adults, such smiles from young and old ;D
In the morning I would make brunch for the family.
This year we no longer do the Christmas eve as we are no longer in the old house. Everything changes! :(
I will still brunch for my family on Christmas morning though.
Merry Cristmas to all,  :new_year:
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: RynSmith on December 24, 2013, 10:59:41 AM
clww, what is Polish sausage?  ???

My dad was Polish but didn't speak much of the language, though his mom (my Grandma) did - especially when she got a little angry  :)  My dad would make pork sausage from scratch every year.  It would sit right along with the turkey for Thanksgiving and be primary at Christmas.  We had a family of nine and a nearby Uncle and Aunt with their two would join us for either meal.  Sometimes, grand parents would be in town from the east.  I think the last time he made sausage was mid-70's.  He's been gone now 30 years and the tradition was lost with him :(

Our tradition was snacks Christmas eve and a big meal on Christmas.  A little empty now with my wife gone 3 years.  I can usually get my sister and some of her 3 girls to join us so we have a crowd instead of just me and my two kids.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

GATreeGrower

We are gearing up for our 4th annual "Bird Supper".  Family gathers together on Christmas Eve for fried quail, grits, biscuits, and gravy.  And sweet tea of course

pigman

This will be the first annual Christmas where all the children and grandchildren gather at my house. Maybe the tradition will last more than one year. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ken

I will spend a bit of time tonight at my grandparents next door.  Their will be a large crowd there after a church service.  My kids will be here for the night and there will be a huge brunch tomorrow at my moms.   Lots of food, a bit of drink and good times.  My oldest is 5 months pregnant so next year there should also be a young one in the midst. 

Cheers
Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

okmulch

Our tradition is that we are always home on Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day so our boys can wake up and come down stairs to their tree and see what Santa brought them. We have always lived away from our families so we do not go anywhere. However any of our families whether my wife's side or mine are welcome to come out and stay with us over Christmas. This year it is my mom and my brother, cedarman had to stay home and man the sawmill.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

WH_Conley

We usually have the big dinner at Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is Christmas breakfast. Will be on toward ten O'clock. Ham, Sausage, Bacon, Country eggs, fried apples, Home made biscuits, gravy, fried potatoes. Anything else that might be thought of.
Bill

Magicman

PatD has already started on the Gumbo, but I guess that should go in the Food Board.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

Quote from: WH_Conley on December 24, 2013, 07:37:09 PM
We usually have the big dinner at Thanksgiving. Tomorrow is Christmas breakfast. Will be on toward ten O'clock. Ham, Sausage, Bacon, Country eggs, fried apples, Home made biscuits, gravy, fried potatoes. Anything else that might be thought of.

Curious.. when you say "Country eggs" do you mean just fresh eggs from the country, or are they prepared a certain way... like some kind of egg dish? 

Fried, over easy is what comes to mind for me.  Just wondering.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dusty Rhodes

Times change and we adapt.  Mother and I now celebrate, usually by ourselves, with my brother and his wife. We will invite a widow or widower to our Christmas dinner so they are not celebrating alone. Our children are all living away but still within about three hours from here. They celebrate with their own families now on Christmas. We all gather here at the house for our Faux Christmas either the weekend before or weekend after Christmas. This year it will be this coming weekend. This old house will come alive again with Four daughters, our sons in laws and our 8 grandchildren.  They begin arriving the day after Christmas and will stay till next monday.  We still bake a Baby Jesus Birthday Cake and sing happy birthday to our Lord.  Our daughters have had that tradition since they were little girls. And we will bake some sugar cookies using my Grandmothers Christmas cookie cutters.  In spite of life's ups and downs, God's grace still abounds:)  Merry Christmas All!

GATreeGrower

When we used to do our own setting, the tradition was to do Santa in the morning for the kids and plant pine after dinner.  The women made us stop that   :D

hardtailjohn

We just started a new tradition this year, and one Kate and I are excited to do.  The old ranch that I grew up on (born there) is now an alcohol and drug treatment center for kids (http://www.wildernesstreatmentcenter.com/ )  . The guy that manages the livestock there usually takes his team of Belgian horses and gives the boys a sleigh ride, dressed as Santa on Christmas Eve. This year, Larry retired his team and asked us if we'd be interested in bringing a team over. Of course we are honored. It was a blast, and the boys sang Christmas Carols as we drove along..... loud, but at least most of them were on the same song! haha  It was great to see them having fun, on a day that they are so far from home and alone...... wish we could do more!
John
Lilly and Daisy doing the work with Kate, Me and Santa (Larry)

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

WH_Conley

Beenthere. They are from either my or other local chickens. No comparison to the taste of commercial eggs. Over medium is the most requested way to cook them.
Bill

Dusty Rhodes

HardtailJohn and Kate.  What a wonderful New Tradition I think you have started.  The spirit of Christmas is giving and you certainly nailed that theme. May you be richly blessed for the gift you have given! 

Thank You Sponsors!