iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Xbox questions

Started by Qweaver, December 22, 2013, 05:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We are considering buying an Xbox for a Christmas present.  I know nothing about these.  I see an Xbox one and Xbox 360.  What programs do we need to include?  How do they work?  Where would I go to study up on these?  This is a costly gift and I'd like to do it right.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

drobertson

If I could do it over, I would suggest not,, but times are what they are, and kids migrate to the times, and some young (adults!)  go to a gamestop or similar shop and pic their brains on what's what,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

We have the Wii set up. We have a lot of the sports games,it at least gets you off the couch to play. We got into the singing games. Needed the guitars,mics,drums. The help at the stores were super for us old folks.  ;D  We would keep them busy for ½ hour at a time asking questions. Used games are nice to buy too. Almost all of ours are used. Some of the games you have to figure out on your own. The young help would give on clues on what to do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Miller-Thinner2

xbox 360 is the older version and xbox one is the new model. Its more high tech . Most come with a game include but be sure to ask.

clww

The man that drives our service truck bought two XBox-One's for Christmas presents for his teenaged sons. At least $450 each, and the games go for between $20 and $60 each. It is also my understanding in talking with him, that the new game consoles will not play the older series games.
I haven't played a video game in 25 years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Wenrich

I have the new Windows 8 on a new computer.  It runs with apps, and everything is referred to as Xbox.  They have a bunch of games you can buy, as well as movies and music.  Seems more like a money pit than an operating system.  Maybe the independent Xbox will be a thing of the past.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

GrahamW

The Xbox one needs a good internet connection for updates, validation and only gaming.

Regards

Warbird

Personally, I'd go with a PlayStation 4.  Why are you considering the Xbox One?

Leigh Family Farm

From a Millenial Generation gamer such as me, I would purchase the Xbox One or the Play Station 4 (due out later in 2014). The Xbox One is the new platform that Microsoft is using so that you can run pretty much your entire entertainment system (movies, games, photos, computer) through it. Also, as mentioned before, Xbox 360 games will not play on the Xbox One. If you have a PC running Windows, the XBox One will allow you to sync your ocmputer (ie. photos and media) to your Xbox and thus give you the ability to watch/stream/view online TV shows, pictures, and any movies you have downloaded. I think you can use a Windows cell phone to do this as well but they have been bad reviews of the Windows phone.

As for equipment, you will need an HD TV, HDMI cable (at least two), broadband internet (cable or higher), two controllers (check to make sure the console comes with two first), and some games. Depending on what type of games your kid likes can depend on the price. Most XBox One games are at least $45 each. Look for a Microsoft store near you or just go to Best Buy, Gamestop, or some gaming store. Make sure to ask if the Xbox One is Kinect ready. Kinect was an added item for the 360 version which allows you to use body movements to control the games. It makes the game smore fun and gets you off the couch.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM or post here. Best of luck!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Ianab

Just to muddy the waters even more, game distributor Steam is releasing an Open Source console next year.

Basically it's generic gaming PC hardware, running a customised version of Linux. You then buy and download  your games online via Steam's established service. You will even be able to build your own machine, download the OS and run the system.

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_Machine

It's sort of a hybrid between PC and Console gaming. Because it's really just pulling together the various existing elements (generic hardware, Linux OS, and commercial games pored to Linux) I think it could work. If it doesn't fly, you still have PC hardware and could load Windows or a normal Linux OS on it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thechknhwk

Before you consider.  Google "xbox one spies on you".  Just saying...  That thing will never come into my house.

Warbird

You may as well throw out all of your electronics if that is a major concern for you.  :)

semologger

ive been playing these games all my life. i own a Wii playstation 3 and a xbox 360. any more the games that you can get for one system you can get for the next. with a few exceptions. im sure you u are buying for already has a prefernce from a friend which system they like maybe do some poking around.  i like Playstation cause its what im ussed to. Plus playstaion has built in blue ray player. i dont think the new xbox does. i kind of almost think its a ford chevy thing. they way i see it is. if i aint walking i really dont care. same as a game as long as im having fun. well you get the point.

John Mc

Probably too late for your Christmas shopping info, but I would definitely check with the recipient of the gift for their preference.  One of th ebig draws of these games is that you can play multiplayer games online, so you can play a game with your buddies, even if you are all in different locations.  I THINK (but am not 100% positive) that even if the same game is available on two different platforms (xbox 1 and playstation, for example), you will only be able to play online with buddies using the same platform.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

semologger

you are correct john. have to be on the same platform

JohnG28

Kilgrosh, the Playstation 4 is also out already.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Leigh Family Farm

John, I didn't realize it was already out. I'm not a Playstation guy so I don't keep tabs on them. A friend of mine said it was due out in 2014. Thanks for the info.

clww

Less than a week and it will be. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Leigh Family Farm

Thank You Sponsors!