iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 230D looking for info

Started by logman81, December 23, 2013, 07:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I would like to know about them if anyone cares to share what they know about them. I'm thinking about taking a look at one in vt, from what I know about this particular one it has a completely rebuilt 353 and trans, a rebuilt rear, the heavy ones and a new full set of chains. I'm not sure on tire size might be 18.4x34 I'll find out. Any info would be appreciated.
Precision Firewood & Logging

David-L

Merry Christmas Logman81,
these Jacks can be one of the cheapest machines to run in the woods. Parts are available at auto stores and specific parts can still be had. cradle and center pins aren't bad to do. I myself would find an A model, E-model or a late D model with the bell type Eaton planetaries. that machine had Rockwells in your pics, ok but not like the Eatons. You know that these old machines can eat money up quick so look it over real good. I have a friend who buys and sells these 200 series and maybe he can help you find something. I will say a 225 or 230 or even a 240 in good condition commands a good price today even though they are 30 plus years old. I have a lot that is crazy steep and can't even imagine doing it with my old 440B, the jack on the other hand has no issues. I also like the easy in and out of the cab, tired workers are prone to accidents and I like the jacks setup. PM me and I will give you my friends #. I am in Matunuck next weekend. Oh I almost forgot, nothing sounds like a 2 stroke Detroit on the governor. music to the ears.

David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Mountain_d

Hi David L. I am looking at a TJ230 in Ontario . It has a 4 cyl Perkins. What do you know of of that engine? The machine is a 1973.  Not sure of the model letter. Which winch do you think is best? It also has wide tires (24 inch wide) and I would prefer narrow tires. You seem to know these machines well. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Mountain D.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

logman81

Guy showed me the green so my skidder is sold. Now comes the hunt to fined a nice timberjack

David-L

mountain_D, i have a friend with a perkins and it is quiet and he like the power band. only had a few farm tractors with perkins and they started well and were ok. as far as the machine it must be a D model. Check out the hit list, cradle bushings, center pins, winch works, free spool, tranny in all gears, reverser, hydraulics. Check the planetary fluid if he will let you. A little silver on the magnetics is ok but steer away from chuncks of metal on the magnets.Ask away, I am not an expert but do know some. as far as the motor, the detroits can go quite awhile even when just about whipped.
Logman, i will ask around as I have seen a few, whats your time frame.

David

logman81

David the guy buying mine wants pick it up ASAP, but is willing to give me a few weeks which isn't much time but it will have to do. Thanks keep your eyes and ears open, small as I will go is a 225 and no bigger than a. 240. I'm on a small budget to

timberlinetree

Be careful of the tall narrow tires on steep hills and high stumps and boulders.good luck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

Ok thanks, can some one explain what the difference is between the 225 model and 230? Are they the same size but with different axles ?

logman81

I think I may have found a skidder. I haven't gone to look at it yet but we have been talking back and fourth about it. From what he told it may work for me.

Maine logger88

From what I can tell is the 225 is a little shorter on the back half and they mostly had Rockwell rears the 230 had the Eaton rears although I think the older 230s may have had Rockwell as well
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

timberlinetree

We have a 1981 super e which is supposed to be longer than the reg model but not quite shure. Good luck.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

logman81

David-L

Logman, The later model 230E was a bit longer but they are hard to find these days. thay also came with the Eaton axles and planetaries. Some of the d models came with those axle /planetary set up also. I would be looking for a 1978 and up. The A models have a different transfer case set up and the brakes are inboard and can cost serious $ to rebuild even if you do it yourself. I would run an add in the VT Agri-view farm bulletin and the NH weekly market and of course the forestry forum wanted site. After having two A models I like my flat top 1978 d model the best. It has the best visibility IMO. I will ask around as I said.

David L

David-L

logman,
Just made a bunch of calls on possible machines. Will wait to hear from them and be in touch. PM me and I will give you my cell #, Sometimes acting quickly gets the machine.
                                                                                         D--

loggah

The 79 230 i had had Eaton rears and 18.4x34 rubber, the 225's usually had 16.9 x 30 rubber. I never had any issues with the transfer case ,or brakes ,or rear axles. I did have to rebuild the engine ,and replace the clutch and pressure plate once , and the nylon shifter fork inserts in the new process transmission.  They are a decent skidder if you dont mind listening to a detroit diesel day in and ouT ! ;D ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

logman81

Thanks David I really appreciate your help!

David-L

Logman, PM me or call. Might have a line on something in southern VT.

David l

logman81

logman81

Finally going to go look at a couple skidders tomorrow hopefully their not junk .

Maine logger88

logman81

logman81

May have found a nice 230D not far from me supposed to be completely rebuilt, trying get ahold of the guy to go look at it.

logman81

So I got ahold of the guy, going to check out the skidder today!

logman81

logman81

M_S_S

Pretty clean looking. Looks like it was taken care of. Ed
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

logman81

Ya it's all brand new completely rebuilt with 0 hrs on rebuild.

logman81

The badging on it says that it has the eaton package does any one know what that is?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

treeslayer2003

look like Rockwell axles. good luck with her.

David-L

Logman, That one looks good, must be a 76 or below I would think with those Rockwell planetaries. Check the usual, Cradle, center, magnetics on the planetary drain plugs, winch free spool and tranny and transfer, etc. Good luck.
                                                      David l

logman81

David I bought it, it is a '76 and has the eaton package. It has been totally rebuilt from top to bottom, every thing is new! Guy put up for sale yesterday and I went down this morning to take a look and bought it. Even has a log book of what was done to it and when as well as all the manuals. I won't be picking it up for a couple weeks but it's worth the wait. Best of all it's only.  Twenty minutes from my place I lucked out! Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

Maine logger88

Nice looking jack logman! Should serve you well

logman81

Thanks hope it does, it's going to a good home!

logman81

Hey guys where do most of you put your saw on these jacks ?

Maine logger88

Right in the cab with you on the battery box cover it takes some getting used to carrying it in with you but its nice not to have to worry about stuff falling on the saw

logman81

Maine logger88

If you carry two saws on the skidder another can be put up under the air cleaner with the bar in between the reverser and transfer case levers

logman81

Dave Shepard

I had to figure that out Saturday. :D I put mine in front of the front screen with the rear handle down in the hole next to the air cleaner. I'll have to make a better mount for it so the bar doesn't rub on the little side panel door.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logman81

Ya I guess more of personnel preference and what works best for you.

David-L

logman, I cut a saw kerf in a piece of round 3" dia wood 1" or so deep and put it in the passenger side the length of the door and alot of times I put the saw in backwards through the passenger side and the chain rest's on the wood. never had any issues with that way and saves lifting through the cab and tearing that nice looking seat. In the cab I have a rubber cattle milking mat I cut up or horse mat works to for the inside so the saw isn't on metal in the cab. Love those older 200 series jacks and they hold there price if taken care of. Nice work. Next time I am in Matunuck I would like to check it out. I will take some pics of my saw setup and post them for you soon.

David

Mark K

Just talking from experience here. Be careful carrying your saws in the cab. I always carried one on the battery box and one up by the air cleaner.  Till I rolled it! Got some pretty good scars from the saws flying around inside the cab. I try and keep my cab clutter to a minimum now. Happened so fast I didnt see it coming. I had that 225 for six years before I rolled it. My C7D, there is a spot in each side of the blade to carry a saw. I bought a Franklin 405 last week that im going to build a saw box for. I will not carry them in the cab.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

logman81

Thanks David, I look forward to the pics. I will take real good care of it, it's hurt a little to put the first scratch in the new paint but it's going to happen.

thecfarm

As I say about my tractor,I did not buy it,to look at it.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ken

logman81  Good to hear that you finally found a machine.  Hope it works well for you.
Quote from: logman81 on January 01, 2014, 07:03:24 AM
Thanks David, I look forward to the pics. I will take real good care of it, it's hurt a little to put the first scratch in the new paint but it's going to happen.
Don't worry about scratches.  Gives em character.  Just like going fishing.  Might as well jump in and get wet right off the bat.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

logman81

Ya I'm not worried to much, just going to take it easy on it and take real good care of it. I'm going to need to put a set of single diamonds on the rear so it will get around good. Just going to have to shop around for the best price. So far tire chains required has the best price.

loggah

When i had my 230 i used to have a short piece of wood with two saw cuts in it and carried two saws over the battery box ,1 facing forward and one rearward.One time on a long pull with a good ice road i was going right along in 3rd gear with a hitch of hardwood behind me, a ash pole about 2" in diameter and 8 feet long came up into the belly pan where the hole to grease the driveshaft is ,up just missing the batteries and  blew the door over the batteries open tossing both saws around inside the cab, hell i thought the Batteries blew up !!!!!! scared the crap out of me ;D ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

logman81

When I get the machine to the lot I'm going to spend a day getting used it and it all up how I want and make sure everything is nice and secure.

treeslayer2003

i'm sure you know this but check all fluids especially the planetarys, they will not get full from the rear.

David-L

Logman , here is that pic. The post about flipping over and saws flying I guess should be considered. Good luck and the winch should get the 80-140 synthetic oil. Takes a qt or so and probably worth it due to the extreme psi on the bronze or brass gears. also A pic of putting chains on with old saw chain to start them.

logman81

Thanks David, I'll be checking all fluid levels for sure. I will need to find a set of single diamonds for the rear, not right away but pretty soon after I get some wood out to recoup a bit. Any other thoughts please share. This is my first jack and don't know much about them as far as any special oils and what not.

logman81

Looks like I'm going to pick up the new skidder this weekend. Can't decide weather to bring it to the shop or to the wood lot to check all the fluids and what not. Probably to the shop where I have heat and all the tools, just hate to pay for trucking twice  but I'm going to have to.

logman81

Decided to go with tire chains required for the chains. Ordering a set of. 5/8" single diamonds, with free shipping you can't go wrong.

logman81

Any one know where to get the alpine green paint for the detroits? I figured since it's going into the shop I would paint the motor so it looks good like the rest of the machine. I'm going to put a block heater in it as well. Also going to put some lights on it to for those last minute night skids!

deerguy

Hey Logman, sounds like you're having fun with the new unit. Can you tell us where you ordered your new chains from ? I've been shopping up here in Northern Ontario and the prices this time of year are crazy.

Thanks,

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: logman81 on January 03, 2014, 07:19:57 AM
Any one know where to get the alpine green paint for the detroits? I figured since it's going into the shop I would paint the motor so it looks good like the rest of the machine. I'm going to put a block heater in it as well. Also going to put some lights on it to for those last minute night skids!
I have got it at napa.

logman81

Deer guy it's not in my shop yet, I'm getting it truck home Monday. I'm going to order the chains from tirechainsrequired.com they seem to have the best price and free shipping. I'll try napa for the paint just need a few cans to freshen it up.

logman81

Went down to the local napa this morning, order a 750 watt block heater and three cans of dupli-Color alpine green for the engine .

treeslayer2003

logman81

Ya got about 12", just enough to be a nuisance!

Holmes

How are you going to use the 750 watt block heater? With a generator or a 1000 watt inverter on your truck?
Think like a farmer.

logman81

Ed_K

On a day like today,heat is worth that $300. trucking bill  ;D .
Ed K

David-L

logman81,
Almost forgot, in the pics there is a pic of a rod that goes over the fuel cap through a angle iron ninety with a hole drilled in it and bolted in the cab and the rod slips into the reverser lever in the fwd drive position. simple way to keep people out of your fuel, lock the battery cover and cutoff switch un accessible. I can take more pics of this if you are interested.
                                             David l

logman81

logman81

Yup skidder comes home tomorrow morning!

logman81

So the skidder is home safe and sound. Checked all the fluids and everything looked good. Took it for a short ride, I really like this machine! Really like how easy it is to get on and off.

mad murdock

souns like it'll be a good go getter!  Staying tuned for some "action" shots 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Maine logger88

Glad to hear you got it home! Another nice thing about the 200 series is they ride good cause you sit down low

logman81

Thank you, yes I did notice rides a lot different then the c5 I had.

logman81

Decked

Get it warm in the building so you can get a couple coats of good carnuba wax on that paint 8)

logman81

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

logman81

I'll get some pics pulling logs soon still learning the machine.

brendonv

Looks good.

What kind of building is that?
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

mad murdock

Quote from: brendonv on January 07, 2014, 03:40:54 PM
Looks good.

What kind of building is that?
If I was a betting man, I would say it was an old quonset hut, with plenty of insulation!  Nice looking machine LM81! Looks like it is set up for choker chains?  You like those better than cable chokers?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

logman81

Thanks guys it's a steel building, one of the ones that go to get her like a giant erector set. My father and I put it up in two weekends.

logman81

It's almost ready to go to the wood lot and pull some wood. Just have to replace oil pan gasket and it should be set.

logman81

Good news! The chains I ordered have been shipped and I should see them in a day or two!

Alcranb

Just in time   ;D get much snow down there? About a foot here but about as fluffy as I've ever seen, but COLD!!!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

logman81

We got about 6", but is very cold as well

logman81

Got the new chains today, I put them on tonight and I'll be running them in tomorrow then it's off to finish up the currant job. Just in time cause I'm locking in more wood lots every week.

logman81

Timbercruiser

Are you sure thats eaton rear ends ?? If I had to bet I would say its a rockwell rear ends. There ok you can still get all the brass pins and stuff still. I have a 1981  230 super E. Its a really good machine has all eaton stuff on it.  Looks good hope its a good skidder for you anyway. Take care >:(

logman81

Yes they are rock wells the bigger ones.

Timbercruiser

Be gentle with those rockwells thats all. Dont use it as a bull dozer and watch if you run a log over and one wheel slams down over the log. Some guys said they are fine others hated them. Just feel it out you'll be ok. Good luck

logman81

Ya I don't run my machines like that, I'm only cutting firewood mostly so it will be babied.

mad murdock

Nice job on the TJ LM81, that is a fine looking specimen you got there!! 8) 8) :new_year:

logman81

Thanks I'm not done with it yet still have to make a few minor repairs but they can be put off till spring, it's got to start making $ for me.

beenthere

logman
Are you pulling wood out with the TJ now? Any pics?   Is it working ok as is?
south central Wisconsin

logman81

No still not at the job yet, still trying to get the brake on the winch adjusted. Pulled some pine logs today and it was not holding as well as it should so I have to adjust it more on the brake cyl. I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it. As I found a forwarder in the area for sale. I like timberjack but I uncertain of it.

Thank You Sponsors!