iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gloves?

Started by Alcranb, December 23, 2013, 12:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcranb

Board Members, (trying to be polite and PC at the same time  ;D)

I'm not much of a fan of wearing gloves but maybe to many birthdays behind me have me wearing gloves to do chores much more than I have in the past. I've tried leather, cheapo throw away cotton and most everything in between. That being said I'd like to know your favorites. Being a frugal (more of that PC stuff) Yankee I hate spending 20 plus bucks on a pair of gloves only to have them wear a hole in the right hand two weeks in. At least with the cotton ones you can mix and match, told you I was cheap I mean frugal, but certainly there has to be something better. Thoughts?
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

wwsjr

The best I have found in the last year are Stihl brand from my local dealer. Canvas cuff with leather fingers and palm. Soft to wear and have lasted me longer than other comparable gloves. I pay about $16.00 per pair. Not sure where they are manufactured.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Home Depot has these on sale at the present time, three pair for $9.88.  For the money, they are a bargain.  Gloves
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T Welsh

I,ve been using Wells Lamont leather, lined and unlined gloves for years! I have not found out how to get rid of the holes in the fingers after using them for a month or two. I am as frugal as the next guy and maybe more, and I have yet to find reinforced fingers in a glove yet,that is in the under $20 range. You can find the fancy work mans gloves that are made of high tech nylon or other fabric, but they do not hold up as well as leather does and there fingers where out just as fast,that and they cost over $20 to $30. I have at least 3 left hand gloves in my truck right now. I should ask Santa for 3 right hands for Christmas :D Tim

ancjr

I get the inexpensive leather palmed mechanics gloves with the gel padding and velcro cuff.  A pair lasts me about 2 years since I try to clean and dry them when needed.  They're just enough to keep my hands from freezing in winter, and don't get overly hot in summer.

Chuck White

I use the Kinco insulated gloves, the insulation for the padding in them!

I get them in a size that's easy to slip on/off!

Cost around $10.00 - $12.00, depending on where you get them.

Benmeadows.com
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

I'm with Chuck.I buy them by the dozen.40 years of being a carpenter and working in the winter I've tried a lot of gloves.
I wear a vest and Cabelo's bibs and keep a spare pair tucked in against my stomach.It's a real treat to slip them on when my fingers get cold.
Good luck,
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bodagocreek2

ditto with Chuck. Kinco is the best I've found. Made out of pigskin with cloth.

m wood

The company provides us with cheapo leather from a welding outfit.  I talked them back into getting me the Mustangs again.  They cost 4 x as much but I proved they last 8 x as long (probably more).  They FINALLY heard what I was saying.  At home and around the shop and mill I wear the velcro wrist insulated mechanic gloves, better flexibility and just decent enough insulation
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Delawhere Jack

I've found the Craftsman mechanics gloves to be pretty good. Their synthetic (nylon?), with a padded palm and velcro across the back of the wrist. I can't stand loose fitting gloves. I always end up taking them off- putting them on. The Craftsman glove fit tight and allow you to do most anything while wearing them. I just wore a pair out after about 15 milling jobs and one engine swap. They run about $20/pr, but they were recently on sale for $16.

clww

Those Kinco gloves are my favorite for working outside in cold weather. I also have a pair of them that I wear when loading the wood stove. For my everyday work with the chainsaw, I wear leather work gloves that I get at a store (which I won't name) for $5.99 a pair. I usually get about 10 pairs at a time.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

sprucebunny

Atlas Therma Fit (451). An insulated, good fitting, dipped type glove. Not very good much below freezing for warmth but have dexterity, grip and long lastingness.

Mittens til I get warmed up !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

loggah

Baileys work safe cotton gloves ,buy them by the dozen.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ron Wenrich

I've worn cotton gloves most of my working life.  I learned not to use leather when I was a chokersetter.  Those wire barbs go through leather a bit quicker.  Same goes with splinters.  They're also cheaper in the long run than leather, especially when handling lumber.  Some of the guys at the mill would flip the cotton ones over and wear the backs out, as well.  They're also warmer than leather, and more flexible.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thechknhwk

We get these for work and they are very nice gloves.  We get the ones that are kevlar lined for cut resistance and they last a good long while, but these would appear to be better for handling firewood and the like because they have a double layer finger and thumb, and the price is better than mechanix and others.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IVEPK2/ref=asc_df_B000IVEPK22899100?smid=A2OK1WAI6L8BI1&tag=dealtmp423753-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000IVEPK2

http://www.amazon.com/Tillman-1495L-TrueFit-Goatskin-WINTER/dp/B002VSK8YC/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1387838966&sr=1-1&keywords=tillman+1495

thekitz

Try a couple layers of Duct tape on the worn out fingers - I have successfully made gloves last nearly a year with this trick. To me the bigger question is why we can't find an AMERICAN MADE pair of leather gloves ...... I thought Wells lamont use to be made in USA ...... does anyone else care?
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

BBTom

I wear these in the winter, buy them by the dozen. https://www.bestvalsup.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PIP%2078-7863B 

In the summer months I wear these: https://www.bestvalsup.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PIP-33-G125

I understand the frugal thing. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SLawyer Dave

I've looked for years for gloves that are comfortable and don't wear out the fingers, but finally settled on getting good gloves at the cheapest price I can, and buying in bulk.  Around here, insulation isn't the problem, (110 degrees is not unusual during the summer), so thin cow or pig hide is generally the ticket.

The following is what I buy now, but I generally wait until they have a sale on.  Last dozen I bought were 20% off during their Logosol Demo Days.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Clothing/Gloves/Leather/Cowhide-Leather-Gloves-Dozen.axd

Firewoodjoe

Kinkos also. And I just bought some for the fellow crews Christmas gifts that are the same but water proof. Claimed anyways.

red oaks lumber

i never found any gloves i liked so i just go without. your hands get tough real fast.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

LAZERDAN

You cannot go wrong with the Kinco !   You know when you've bought the right gloves for the last 25 years, when the whole crew never complains about gloves and always happy to recieve the same glove year after year.  Buy em Try em you won't regret it.  And I am no sales man but i know good tools  Lazerdan 

justallan1

Another vote for the Kinco's. I buy the buffalo hide for doing fencing and they are very tough.
As for what to do with that pile of left handed gloves you have, try turning one inside out, now you have a right glove. ;D How many here have had to do that from pulling chain in the mills?

Allan

Rockn H

Has anyone had a pair of Kinco's turn their hands yellow?

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!