iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bull Pine, any takers?

Started by drobertson, December 22, 2013, 05:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I am meaning to ask if anyone knows what it is, or has sawed any, it could be a local slang, in either case, half frozen is a chore for sure, lots of reaction in it, even the straight ones, very uneven growth rates within each individual log, not for the faint of heart, unless waves are requested.    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

pineywoods

Around here, what we call bull pine is actually loblolly, but grown in an open field or pasture so it doesn't self prune. LOTs of taper, lots of large limbs, lots of pitch. Any lumber will be at least 50% knots. Best use I have for it is fuel for the burn pile.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

celliott

Around here, it simply means a large, gnarly pine tree (white pine typically, or sometimes spruce\fir for the misinformed)
Typically open grown in a field, lots of branches, might have diseases, burls, etc., just not a well formed tree.
This is the Northeast, Vermont.
Pineywoods, I see it pretty much means the same thing in the south, just different species.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

beenthere

I've heard the term used, but am thinking it is local for a large pine tree that is old and been around awhile. Much like a wolf tree. 
Google indicates related to Loblolly and also to Ponderosa pine.

What is your experience with what you are sawing?  Species be loblolly?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

pineywoods

Quote from: Jeff on December 22, 2013, 05:42:55 PM
Would this one qualify?

Oh yeah, I have a few like that. Have sawed a few. When I do, it goes for blocking..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

I burned alot of pine like that in my OWB.  ;D I kept it going all one year with pine like that.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Man Jeff, not even close, and glad of it, I think, this stuff came off a cut job where the previous logs were an older growth, very predictive and enjoyable to saw with consistency.   However, this stuff  has reaction in it as well as heavy pitch, with very uneven growth rings.  The lumber is for cabins mostly 1x's for siding, but the remainder is 2x's for whatever, and however,   bottom line, it's kicking my rear.  The builder suggested it as Bull pine, a fast growth SYP that was planted for regeneration in the area.  He also commented on how difficult it is to work with the shop equipment as well,  I still am thinking half froze logs with pitch, and reaction,  which is a recipe for hot wings and a warm fire,   thanks guys,   david , and the lift won't start again,  love it all through the winter,,  you boys up north, hats off to you, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

QuoteWould this one qualify?

Maybe the one in the orange pants...   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Quote from: beenthere on December 22, 2013, 05:59:26 PM
QuoteWould this one qualify?

Maybe the one in the orange pants...   ;D ;D
:D :D :D better you than me to say it!   I would hate to limb that one, did that sound right?  david

LaneC

I had over 3000 loblolly trees planted for me back in the winter before Katrina (2005) I think. They were loblolly and they have nowhere near the limbs that that picture had.  I have never seen a pine like that. I have seen alot with alot of limbs but that tree! I would hate to limb that sucker. I can see why no one would want to mess with that. I am in Mississippi but I would cringe if I had to cut and limb that tree.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Ron Wenrich

I heard pitch pine called bull pine.  But, there isn't much pitch pine in the area anymore.  I cut a couple, and you found out why they called it pitch pine. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sawdust Lover

I have taken down a few old tobacco barns here in Virginia and I have been told by a few people that it was bull pine. I have sawn a lot of heart pine and the pine out of the tobacco barns is different. It has a redish tint like heart pine but the growth rings aren't as close together. So I really don't know what kind of pine it is but it sure is pretty and it sells.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've never heard of BULL PINE. We have VIRGINIA PINE that is knotty and limby and we give it "off brand" names. ::)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Around here a bull pine would be a big, often multi-leadered, nasty non-merchantable white pine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

RynSmith

Would this one qualify?

Funny, I'm pretty sure we called that type Climbing Pine, tar and all.   :)

5quarter

Bull pine's a new one for me, but wolf pine are those trees that look real clean from 50' away. up close you can see that they're full of knots just under the surface where they have been pruned. a wolf in sheeps clothing I guess.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Rockn H

I'm not far from pineywoods, so of course what we call a bull pine is the same.  A loblolly that didn't self prune for what ever reason.  The only thing I've seen that it's good for is rustic cabinets.  Not a lot of construction lumber for sure.   If you leave it laying long enough for the sap wood to rot off there's a lot of lighter pine.

highleadtimber16

Some of the spruces and occasional fir around here grow like that. Very corse grain, knotty, and heavy taper. I can't imagine sawing them or even cutting them into firewood. I personally wouldn't go near anything like that. I like my logs straight and clean!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

Peter Drouin

A Wood Mizer 1 1/4x55x7 with the set out to 30thousand would cut that easy ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Quote from: RynSmith on December 22, 2013, 09:58:08 PM
Would this one qualify?

Funny, I'm pretty sure we called that type Climbing Pine, tar and all.   :)

Everytime I've waled by it since we closed on the property, I feel like I should climb it. I probably will this spring. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

Falling from a tree doesn't hurt, but the stop is a killer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

kderby

Bull Pine in the West (Oregon) is the large diameter/ large limb pine, out in the open...with a bull standing under it.  Refer to the earlier picture with Orange pants. :D  In Oregon, usually, the bull is a bovine.

It is a growth characteristic and not a species.  On the other end, we insult small diameter timber by calling it "pecker-poles."

Both peckerpoles and bull pine have utility.  Neither is a way to make any money.

pine

Out west the ponderosa pine (Pinus Ponderosa) is often referred to as Bull pine.
In the SE, lobloolly pine (Pinus taeda) is often referred to as Bull pine.
Maybe it is a colloquial name used for a pine that changes depending upon where one is located or is from.

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking fancy fireplace mantels. ;D

Cha ching.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!