iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peanut Brittle

Started by Magicman, December 22, 2013, 05:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Pat made a batch yesterday.  I have no idea if there will be any left when Christmas gets here because I can not seem to pass the container without grabbing another piece.  It's addictive !!!   food6

It was 'bout full and now it is 'bout empty.   :)  Matter of fact, a couple of those pictured are now history.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Ok. Donnas been talking about making some but is saying she's gotta find a recipe. Ya think PatD will share?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

pineywoods

Oh YEAH, good stuff. Somebody left a 1/2 gallon bucket of it here just a few days ago. Nothing left now. My wife makes it in the microwave, 10 minutes start to finish, but ya gotta let it cool. The peanuts need to be raw, not the roasted kind...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

The wife makes penaut butter fudge. It's always nice and soft. I almost make myself sick on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tyb525

The girlfriend makes peanut butter fudge too, it's very good, but so sweet I can't eat much of it at a time.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Google the recipe for 10 minute peanut brittle, but PatD doubles the peanuts and adds more vanilla and soda.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

OK, she gave me her recipe:

Microwave Peanut Brittle

1 c. Sugar
½ c. Karo corn syrup
2 c. Raw peanuts

Stir and cook 4 min. on high.  Stir and cook 3½ min.

Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp vanilla.  Stir and cook 2 min.

Add 1 tbsp soda.  Stir quickly as it foams and spread pour out on aluminum foil.  (If you try to actually spread it out you break the bubbles and make hard candy.)  Just pour it out across the foil and let it settle.

Let it cool and then break it into pieces.

Buck

hehe....she's going shopping....didn't have everything. Thanks!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Philbert

Trying it now. Thanks!

Philbert

Red Good

Yep , will have to try that recipe . Thank her for me . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

SwampDonkey

Mom used to make it for grandfather (her father) along with the fudge. But my dad was the fudge maker, mom learned from him.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I am eating another piece.   ;D

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

She is gonna havta make more.   ;D

Philbert

Was pretty quick & easy to make.

Thanks!

Needed HOT water to clean things (sugar set up like cement on the bowls & spoons).

Philbert

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yup, she had to make another batch.

Notice that I edited the above recipe a bit.  I said "spread" and I should have said "pour".  This is an important step to prevent breaking the bubbles and making "hard candy".

Also, if the peanuts are very small, reduce the final cooking by 30 seconds.  This prevents overcooking (parching) the small peanuts.

Ljohnsaw

Well, I couldn't resist - but I didn't want to go shopping.  I had raw cashews on hand.  I had a cup of Kayro so I doubled the recipe, however, I only put in two cups of nuts.

I now have a bunch of Cashew Carmel - didn't get quite hot enough to make brittle :(  Though quite tasty!   

Reminded me of the first time I tried to make brittle about 30 years ago.  Got tired of cooking and stirring and didn't have a thermometer to check the stage.  The next time I cooked too long and it was like glass  :o

There was too much for this one sheet of foil.  By the time I got another laid out, the bubbles had started to subside and this is more Carmel-like than the first set.

Like we don't have enough sweets, my son went to a cookie decorating party yesterday and he has these to eat as well:

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

You need to follow those microwave cooking times very closely.  That gets you to the correct temperature.

coxy

looked all over for that stuff in all the big and small stores could not find any some even told me they never herd of it  ??? city people ;D  going to make some of yours thanks for the recipe  :christmas:

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Magicman on December 24, 2013, 08:34:01 PM
You need to follow those microwave cooking times very closely.  That gets you to the correct temperature.

And not double the recipe! :/
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!