iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home-made Fine Adjust Outriggers

Started by Ga Mtn Man, December 21, 2013, 08:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Being weak of back and too light in the wallet for the WM $1200 price tag, I decided to have a go at making my own version of the FAOs for my LT40.  I found an 8000 lb drop leg jack for $47 plus shipping that seemed like it might just fit the bill.  The jacks had to be cut down by  4" to get them down to the same retracted length as the WM FAOs and new feet had to be fabricated for the operator side ones.  I replaced the top wind handle with a big hex nut held in place with a split pin.  I've used them on a couple of jobs now and they work great.  Setting up the mill is much easier on my back and adjusting for settling during the day just takes a few turns of a socket wrench.  They are not as heavy built as the WM ones but I think they should hold up just fine.  Time will tell.  Thanks to the FF members who helped me out with some of the dimensions.  You know who you are. :)

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

They look fabulous Paul.  Nice craftsmanship.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

All you need now are BOOTS for them feet.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Rockn H

Larry

Those look like they are factory made and you saved some money.  Excellent job Paul.

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on December 21, 2013, 08:50:36 PM
I replaced the top wind handle with a big hex nut held in place with a split pin. 

I've replaced the crank handle on a winch and also on a milling machine knee with hex nuts.  Now I use a cordless to do my cranking.  I assume you can do the same.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LaneC

That is some fine engine-oo-ity. You sure saved quite a bit of $ too. They look very good.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Nomad

Those look great!  And the offset foot is about as close as it's possible to come.  Glad they're working out for you. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

drobertson

Nice! I need to do the same,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

lls256

Looks great!  Do you have any idea who  the manufacturer  of the drop down jack is?

thecfarm

This should be added to the WM modification thread.  8) Good idea.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hunz

Well done! I will definitely be doing this when the lt-35 arrives. Do you have part numbers handy? Where you purchased online?
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

customsawyer

Great job on those. Now you have me thinking.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Qweaver

That's a really good idea to replace the hand crank with a nut.  Did you weld the nut on?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks for the compliments guys.  The jacks were bought at Surplus Center and are made by Northfield Industries.  They have a facility in IL, so I thought I was buying a US made product.  Nope, made in China.  Still, the quality looks pretty good.  The nut is held in place by a split pin since disassembling the jack is the only way to grease the acme thread and thrust bearing.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

j-dland

Thank you GMM for this thread. As an afterthought, wouldn't it be pretty simple to cut the offset feet from the old WM jacks and weld them to the new jacks? Just a thought.
David

pineywoods

Only problem I see is "where did I leave that ratchet wrench"
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: j-dland on December 23, 2013, 10:59:09 AM
     Thank you GMM for this thread. As an afterthought, wouldn't it be pretty simple to cut the offset feet from the old WM jacks and weld them to the new jacks? Just a thought.

I thought about doing that, but it would have made the jack too long. 

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: pineywoods on December 23, 2013, 12:07:09 PM
Only problem I see is "where did I leave that ratchet wrench"

On my current job it's acting as a paper weight to keep my cut list on the hydro box, but I can see me losing it at some point :laugh:.  I plan to make an adjustment wrench similar to the one that WM makes but I'll still have to come up with some where to stow it.

Magicman

I use a T handle and the WM "speed" wrench.  I regularly use both.  The WM wrench for the initial setup, and the T handle for tweaking after setup and while sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Pineywoods, he's only 51, not likely to forget like us, wheres that DanG wrench. bg

millwright

I did the same thing on my lt35 about 2 years ago with no problems at all.

orion388

Thanks Paul for getting me off my butt and finishing this little project!

John

LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!