iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is the right boiler for me?

Started by sparky23, December 21, 2013, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky23

Hey all, first time newby here.  I am building a 1700sqft shop and 3 floor 3100sqft addition to my home and would like to use radiant floor heat in both. I would like to use an outdoor boiler with propane backup (no furnace). Access to wood is no issue.

The design I like the most is the Shaver due to its round firebox and thick housing, but have heard nothing but horrible things about the service and workmanship. All other boilers seem pretty much the same to me from what I can tell and they all say their design is superior.

I just want a well built boiler that burns clean but long, ie 12hrs or better, and has a propane backup. Any help would be appreciated.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Can you calculate the BTU requirements of the buildings you will end up with? Present home, plus addition, plus the shop?

Why the Shaver company if you have heard horrible things?  And which of the Shavers are you thinking about?

I gather the propane will be set up to heat the water in the outside boiler, from your comment. Do the Shaver's have that feature? I'm wondering just how well that would work and how it would be included in the design.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

I have some connections and property in Ontario, and the municipality near me has regulations regarding outdoor wood boilers.  I would check on any restrictions before going after one brand or another.  The local regs may narrow your choices.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

sparky23,welcome to the forum. I'm not too good on knowing square footage,but sounds like you have ALOT of space to heat. That will take a good size boiler to last 12 hours. Them things are not cheap now.
The Heatmor that I have has a round firebox. No idea about the thick part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sparky23

Thanks for replies,

I was only thinking of Shaver based on the specs I read online. I like the round design (less welds) and thick fire box, and the pro 290 model has 280,000BTUs and a 260 gallon tank ( don't know if I need that much but would rather have more that less). But almost EVERY review I've read has been negative. I like the large tank because I don't want to be tied to the thing 3 times a day. I have a 160 acre woodlot so if I use a bit more wood that's ok with me.

Good call on the municipal regulation aspect, never occurred to me. I see them around my area but don't know if they are gassifiers or standard type. I will look into it.

I dont mind spending the money if I get what I want and it lasts. I just dont know what I want! Lol 

beenthere

Quotebecause I don't want to be tied to the thing 3 times a day

There might be your "fly in the ointment" as burning wood and being tied to the wood burner can't be avoided, IMO. 
Your backup plan will be key as well, to figure out ahead of time.
More critique from many experienced members here as you develop your ideas should help you get where you want to be for the best system. Keep your thoughts coming.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I don't even know if you can buy a standard type.  Seem like my dealer told me that I can not buy one from him like mine,non gassifiers.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tempforce

have you checked into a rocket mass heater. it could be modified with a water heating feature. most users claim a huge reduction in the consumption of wood for the same heat as a standard boiler, wood heater/fireplace...

users claim that the exhaust gas is cool and no visible exhaust is apparent after the combustion section warms up.

i'm currently working on a design based on the rocket mass heater that is used as a bakers oven for a barbecue, with oven and a water heating source for a pool...  i plan on incorporating a dual burn system, that heats the water in both chambers. so the pool get heat whether i'm cooking or not..
adding a cap on the feed to prevent any possible accident with small children and a 12v chain feed to the burner. so that i only have to fill a bin once every couple days...

just a suggestion....
cleaning up wildfire damage...
making lumber and siding out of wildfire damaged trees.

leonz

Quote from: sparky23 on December 21, 2013, 08:45:05 PM
Hey all, first time newby here.  I am building a 1700sqft shop and 3 floor 3100sqft addition to my home and would like to use radiant floor heat in both. I would like to use an outdoor boiler with propane backup (no furnace). Access to wood is no issue.

The design I like the most is the Shaver due to its round firebox and thick housing, but have heard nothing but horrible things about the service and workmanship. All other boilers seem pretty much the same to me from what I can tell and they all say their design is superior.

I just want a well built boiler that burns clean but long, ie 12hrs or better, and has a propane backup. Any help would be appreciated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise we are on a firewood burning forum
BUT

You will have better luck buying and using an
EFM coal stoker and hot water needs with
your new construction and you will be able
to heat your home and additions home for
very little money.

Unless you have water storage the entire
effort is going to waste as you need a
continuous hot burn to make any
system efficient.

Another option is a wood chip burner from Portage and Main
and having someone come in and chip up X amount of
your woods if you have woods.

The Portage and Main unit will cost you three times what
the smallest EFM stoker would cost you with taxes, VAT, HST, GST, etc.

sparky23

I don't mind feeding whatever it is I am using twice a day, but three is kind of ball and chain for me. I want a unit with a propane burner for the backup and I dont know of any gassifiers that offer this.

I only have the sq footage of what I am building, not the BTU requirements. I can discuss that with whatever manufacturer I choose. I just don't have any idea what manufacturer has the better track record and I would rather hear your opinions than theirs....

I'm not sure what an EFM coal stoker or a rocket mass heater even are, I'm still new to all this but I will definitely look into it thanks.

I'm all for a lower operating cost but I do have a rather large woodlot along with a backhoe, dump trailer, and splitter. Not that I want to spend all my time getting wood just to live, but I do have it.

Thank You Sponsors!