iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Carbide chain?

Started by Southside, December 21, 2013, 08:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Just wondering if anybody has used carbide chain.  I read an advertisement this evening for it at $2.00 per drive link, not sure that would be the same price on 3/4" for my harvester but with 54 drive links it really only is about double the price of a normal chain.  Just wondering if its worth the money, I am not cutting into a lot of stony ground or metal, just looking to reduce chain swaps if possible. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

cutter88

the lad that hauls my logs has a firewood business on the side he was telling me the outher day he cut 25 face cord of muddy frozen wood and never sharpend that carbide chain once,,,
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

CX3

Sell that wicked awesome bassett hound and buy one lol ;D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Philbert

Have not used it personally, but have asked people about it.

Fire crews use it on rescue saws because they are cutting through building materials.

Has to be sharpened with a diamond wheel.

Sometimes throws a tip (brazed to the tooth), requiring replacement of cutters.

So, apparently, the costs add up. Would expect to see more of it if it made practical sense $ wise.

Might just be finding the right application.

Philbert

NWP

We use it at the fire department. I tell them it's a waste of money. I'd rather trash a cheap chain and just replace it rather than go thru the hassle of replacing teeth and finding someone with a diamond wheel plus the added cost of the chain to begin with.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

deastman

Where did you see it advertised?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

Ianab

If it's cheap it may be "carbide impregnated". This means that the outside layer, that's usually Chrome, is impregnated with tiny carbide particles. This makes it more resistant to wear. from sand and mud etc.  You can still sharpen it with a normal file as you file from the inside of the cutter, which is normal steel.

Never used it so I can't say how good it is. It might be useful in dirty wood?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

I have not seen it in harvester chain. Primarily used on rescue or demolition saws, it is generally not cost effective for general use. It also does not cut as well as conventional chain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Philbert

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 21, 2013, 11:32:48 PMIt also does not cut as well as conventional chain.

Oh yeah. That was the other point folks made. You can't sharpen it to the same angles as steel cutters because it is more brittle.

Thanks Sawguy

Philbert

1270d

There's a company called chain sert, I think that's the name anyway, that makes carbide chain.

Southside

The one I saw was in my annual Best of Farm Show magazine that showed up the other day.  This was a carbide tipped chain, and they advertise you can buy a diamond disc from them as well. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

I don't think anybody would pay $$ for the hound unless they have a couch that needs to be held in place.   :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Kemper

If you cut a lot of hickory stay away from it.

deastman

I checked out Chain Sert's website and it looks interesting. Has anyone ever used it on a processor? Wondering how well it might work and is it worth the money?
Samsung 130 LCM-3 with Fabtek 4-roller and Cat 554 forwarder, Cat EL 180 excavator, Cat D3C dozer, Cat D7E dozer, '92 Ford LTL 9000 dump, Easy-2-Load 25 Ton tag-a-long, current project under construction: '91 Peterbilt 379 with a Hood 8000 w/extenda-boom loader

David-L

Due to foolish and inhumane trapping laws in Massachusetts our beaver population has quadrupled since 1996 when people out east in this state voted out the Coniber 330 and others alike. My farmland got flooded and I bought a carbide tip rescue chain 72/72 3/8 and my old 044 orange and white model just loves to cut sluice holes in the dam for maintenance of my beaver deceiver culverts. In this app it worked excellent but don't know about 404. I have lost a few carbide teeth from cutting through rocks the little rodents stuffed into the dam though but that is minor to me. A regular chain would be dead in no time at all. I have my doubts that it would be cost effective but please post if you move ahead with the carbide.

David L
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Philbert

Quote from: 1270d on December 22, 2013, 08:23:32 AM
There's a company called chain sert, I think that's the name anyway, that makes carbide chain.

Rapco is the company that I associate with carbide chain. .250 -.750 pitch listed.

STIHL also offers carbide chain: Rapid Duro in 3/8" pitch only.

Philbert

1270d

the op is looking for 3/4 pitch chain for his harvester.

Philbert

Quote from: 1270d on December 22, 2013, 07:00:32 PM
the op is looking for 3/4 pitch chain for his harvester.

It looked like one of the sources I mentioned carries that, but I don't want to speak for them.

Philbert

shelbycharger400

Id be curious as to how it holds up in cutting erc,  processing this trees line im doing.  Felling trees 18 to 26 in + dia.  Seems im only cutting a few and it's dull fast. Imbedded sand and pockets of light brown rot tears up the chain cutters points. I've noticed that the right side cutters are wearing more then left too. 

Philbert

The Austrailian contingent used to chime in on this. Seems, in addition to their trees being made out of concrete, the termites would haul tons of sand up inside the bark.

I think that they mostly stayed with conventional chain.

Any of you bloke care to comment?

Philbert

d1hamby

I've used a few carbide chains, but they were all stihl brand. To me they are worth the $ with all the sugar sand everywhere in the wood where i live.
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

Thank You Sponsors!