iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sitting/Storage Bench

Started by Andy White, December 21, 2013, 01:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy White

Spent today installing hinge and sanding. After ro sanding, to the hand block for rounding over corners and radiuses and inside all slats.

Decided to cut all the thru tennons flush with legs, to make lines smoother!

There seems to be a thousand little details that need attention, like rounding edges between all the vertical slats! Too much sugar for a dime! (old saying)

All this shop time has worn out my shop foreman, and he still hasn't made a color choice for the finish!!! Maybe tomorrow.

Should be finished Saturday after one more special addition.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

At least your shop foreman is looking at it from all angles.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

No wonder it takes you so long to get things done. Looks like someone needs a belly rub.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Beauty and utility.  Very nice.

WDH

Andy,

That is a fine piece.  Excellent job.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

I have a shop foreman similar to you, mine is almost as effecient, I saye almost as he sometimes mixes up scraps with usefull and needed parts.  :-\  I might someday incorporate a chewed up piece just as a memorial of his doings.  :)
  That all said, you sir have done one fine job with that bench, I don't know of anyone who would not be proud to have that in there home.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Andy White

What a good day in the shop! I have one of the newest forum members helping me finish my bench project. She is trying to get her gallery and profile setup done, and came to ask me something, and I recruited her to finish! She does really good work!

In a day or 2 I will rub down with 0000 steel wool, and polyurethane it about three times, and call it DONE!!!  This has been a very good project, and the first using lumber cut on my own mill, from log to bench! Thanks all.   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That stain sure makes the grain stand out!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Farmerjw

As others have said, "WOW!!!!!!!!".  I was thinking plain old poly but that stain did its job.  Great documentation and your attention to detail, EXCELLENT!!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

WmFritz

What a thing of beauty!  Very nice Andy.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Andy,who is she?? Good help is hard to find. And than add free on top of that and it gets that much harder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Andy White

thecfarm
That is my better half, my dearest wife and friend for life She has found a new home here on the forum.
PS This is nmericle53  Her avatar shows what a handsome couple looks like in 1970!  It's been a good life.    Andy

samandothers

Andy great job to you!  Also to the Misses and the four legged 'Fourman'!

The finish really made the grain come out.  I bet it is satisfying to build something from start to finish with wood you cut!

thecfarm

Oh,that's who that good looking guy was.  :D
Now I remember,the pinterest one.My wife is on that thing. She has seen a few things and asked me for help in doing it.

Magicman

Andy, your craftsmanship is outstanding.  Thank you for sharing this build and all of the details.   Also, thanks for being the inspiration for the new FF member.  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

Thanks for sharing this beautiful build. It looks.......WOW!!!
lt15

dablack

The grain on that seat is blowing me away.  Beautiful. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Bill Gaiche

Andy, that would have come in handy when we were at Austins a few weeks ago. Really nice job on the build and the finisher gets a thumbs up also. Your going to be proud when its complete. bg

logman 219

why did you leave bottom opened??? raised panels might have been nice!!!

Andy White

logman219
I left the bottom open to keep my old wet boots and shoes from molding and smelling up the house. Hopefully the ventilation will help. smiley_airfreshener    Andy

Bill Gaiche

beenthere

QuoteI left the bottom open to keep my old wet boots and shoes from molding and smelling up the house.

Surely you are not going to put those old things in that beautiful piece of woodworking? 

Go get some old smelly and molding lumber to throw something together for those boots and shoes.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dablack

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on January 06, 2014, 09:47:42 AM
Andy, that would have come in handy when we were at Austins a few weeks ago. Really nice job on the build and the finisher gets a thumbs up also. Your going to be proud when its complete. bg

That last white oak that was full of metal is still sitting up there.  I've got the flat side up and it has been serving as a fine bench at the top of the hill.  Stacey wants me to put some lets on there and set it out along the old road on the other side of the spring.  Seems like a good project for while waiting for lumber to dry. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Magicman

Better move it closer to the fire pit for now.   fire_smiley

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Austin
I second what Lynn said, You need to get the bench and the fire ring in very close proximity to enjoy the benefits of each!!! BBRRRRRR!! :snowman: :snowman: :snowman:

Thank You Sponsors!