iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wrong Number

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2013, 08:45:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

With many folks using cell/smart phones and calling numbers stored in memory, wrong numbers occur much less often, but we were jarred awake at 1:28 AM by a "private caller" that sounded like he was in a "honky tonk".

Of course, after that jolt, sleep does not come easily.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

I hate those middle of the night calls, they are never good news.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

I agree Lynn, I've had that happen before and then lay there for what seems like a couple of hours, then, maybe fall asleep!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Probably one of those Gals you met in Texas.  :o :o :o I told you not to give your number out.  no_no

Only 2 people have our home number......the Forest Service and Family.
All others have my cell phone number.......and I turn it off at night.  smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping smiley_sleeping
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The folks that call don't have your number either.  That is why it is a wrong number.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Wrong numbers can be fun sometimes, during waking hours!  middle of the night stuff is not good, not quick enough to be of good cheer ;D   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

clww

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 21, 2013, 09:23:29 AM

Only 2 people have our home number......the Forest Service and Family.

Want to bet on that?
Wait till 3 AM tomorrow morning! :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm at the mill sawing and reading this on my phone......I'm rolling Chief!!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

chain

One thing worse than "wrong number," the door bell chimes at 2:00 a.m.on a rainy night.

We look through the peeky glass, no one there. But through the curtains I see someone standing in the shadows.

Finally...

the person walks away, turns out a young woman who reportedly jumped out of a car to escape a would-be attacker wanted refuge. The fellow she escaped from dutifully told the Sheriff. They found her several miles up the road at another truck-stop. ???

Warbird

QuoteA few weeks ago I got a call after midnight from a woman who had obviously had a few drinks.  She was calling from a blocked number.  The following conversation ensued:

Her:  I'm calling about that tattoo you asked me about.
Me (still waking up from a dead slumber):  Tattoo?  I think you have the wrong number.
Her:  Well, I'm pretty sure I have the right number!  Listen, do you want the tattoo or not?!
Me:  Ma'am, I don't know anything about any tattoos and I've never asked anyone for one.
Her:  Look man, are you drunk?!  You were pretty wasted at the party drinking and poppin' rolies!

At this point, I'm finally awake and have become fairly annoyed.  I have a very 'terminator' and cold business-like attitude when needed.

Me:  Listen.  What's your name again?  (She'd not provided it up to this point)
Her:  It's Melissa!
Me:  Okay Melissa.  I want you to listen to me very carefully.  I'm not who you think I am and you don't ever want to call me again.  Have a good remainder of your evening.

And I hung up.  Must've scared her because she never did call again.

Regarding the 'phantom doorbell' story chain told, you gotta be careful with that.  One of my employees had a prowler at his place just the other night.  His whole family was sleeping and the house looked empty.  After the prowler cased the entire property (they later followed his footsteps in the snow), the person rang the doorbell and waited out in the shadows to see if anyone was home or not.  When the lights came on, they got in a vehicle and drove off w/o their headlights on.

Alcranb

34 years in the fire service taught me one thing... Those late night calls we're never, underscore never!! good. Retired now  8)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

pigman

Quote from: Magicman on December 21, 2013, 08:45:26 AM
we were jarred awake at 1:28 AM by a "private caller" that sounded like he was in a "honky tonk".

Lynn, that was not a "honky tonk" I was in, it was a Sports Bar.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Roxie

Say when

Brucer

I got a wrong number on my cell phone the other night at 10:30 PM. I was already in bed 'cause I was going to be plowing snow first thing the next morning. A slurred voice said, "Hey, how's it goin' man?" The voice wasn't familiar and there were some party noises in the background. I asked who it was. "Matt", said the voice. I told Matt that I was pretty sure he had a wrong number.

Next morning I went to fetch the loader at the boss's house and it was gone. He'd obviously plowed his way out so I called him and asked him where he was. "I'm uptown clearing behind the liquor store. I left a message on your cell phone this morning." Oh?

I drove up to get the machine and checked my voicemail while I was there. Nothing. I told the boss he hadn't left ME a message. We looked at his outgoing call list. "Oops," he said, "I wonder who that was."  :D :D

Meanwhile, I had been checking for missed calls and saw there was one. It was from "Matt's" number. He'd called me again at 1:00 in the morning. Didn't leave a message. I never have the cell phone in the bedroom so I didn't hear the call.

I was very tempted to call "Matt" at 6:00 AM and tell him I was sorry I had missed his call ;D. Common sense prevailed, however. I didn't want to start a "wrong number war".
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

I dailed the wrong number before and got a voice mail. I use to just hang up. But than they call me to see what I wanted.  ::)  It's not like I called a businees. One guy got all bent out of shape with me. I have no idea what else he was going to tell me,as I hung up on him. Now I say ,wrong number,sorry and hang up.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

Two different times same guy called asked who he was says I work with you no you don't the last time he called same thing had to tell him he was dumb as a 10pound rock I am retired I don't work with any one he got the idea  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

I make an attempt to find out how they managed to get the number they just dialed, especially if they call back the second time. Obviously after 2 wrong dials, they need some help.

Don't think I could ever bring myself to call someone dumb, as they just may have been given a wrong number and may be a lot smarter than I am.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Gaiche

Pigman, do they sell bandsaw mills at the sports bar too? bg

goose63

beenthere i told him the first time i was retired and he still thought he work's with me :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Alexanderthelate

I had a fellow try to convince me that he did have the right number, because he got it from the phone book, and that there was something strange about me for not knowing who lived here. :D  I wound up arguing with him for a good while before I hung up. He called back ten minutes later and apologized.   ;D

sprucebunny

One guy I had to point out that when you get a wrong number, hitting 'redial' shouldn't be your first reaction  :D  ::)  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

clearcut

On smart phones, you can set which numbers can ring your phone and when they can do so. All others including "private numbers" go to voice mail.

On iPhones, this is controlled by the Do Not Disturb menu in Settings.

On Android, there are apps that can control these settings.

I had one guy call me every few day for several weeks trying to get payment on a contract. He had a private number (I let it roll to voice mail) and never left his number in voice mail. Finally I picked up and told him he had a wrong number. He insisted it was the right number because he had been leaving messages. I eventually convinced him that I was not Jennifer.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

red oaks lumber

the ones i love, they call the office phone and hear my message stating our company name our buisness hours and so on its maybe 20 second message. they then leave a message from "ya i'd like to rent a cabin for laborday" or " mary this is the clinic your tests results are done"
dont people listen to the message? or what are they doing while its playing.
i think my funniest wrong number call was me calling the wrong number. trying to call a customer, left a message on their recorder, couple days went by i called again, this time a guy answers the phone i say "bill " he says no, can i speak with him? he says sure but, not at this number. i say excuse me? he says you have the wrong number. sorry about that. i look at the number i was dialing and thought oh i turned a couple numbers around so , i dial the " new " number, guy answers and he sounded familiar so i said your not bill are you ? he said no but, i wish i was so i could help you out :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Chuck White

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 22, 2013, 11:59:58 AM
the ones i love, they call the office phone and hear my message stating our company name our buisness hours and so on its maybe 20 second message. they then leave a message from "ya i'd like to rent a cabin for laborday" or " mary this is the clinic your tests results are done"
dont people listen to the message? or what are they doing while its playing.
i think my funniest wrong number call was me calling the wrong number. trying to call a customer, left a message on their recorder, couple days went by i called again, this time a guy answers the phone i say "bill " he says no, can i speak with him? he says sure but, not at this number. i say excuse me? he says you have the wrong number. sorry about that. i look at the number i was dialing and thought oh i turned a couple numbers around so , i dial the " new " number, guy answers and he sounded familiar so i said your not bill are you ? he said no but, i wish i was so i could help you out :D

I like that, sound like something I'd say!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sonofman

I had some guy call me about midnight the other week. He asked for Mary. I could not tell if he was drunk, but from the noise in the background, a party was in progrress. I told him he had a wrong number and he appologized and hung up.

About 45 min later, again. This time it was obvious he was drunk.

The third time, he was really drunk and got mad that I would not put her on the phone. I blocked his number then.

On my android, which is my company phone, if someone calls and I do not recognize the number I do not answer. If they do not leave a message, I figure telemarketer. If they do it twice, I block the number. On the android, if it is blocked, it does not even ring. I like that.
Located due west of Due West.

Thank You Sponsors!