iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck?

Started by DR Buck, December 19, 2013, 10:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Some time ago I concluded that I was becoming quite wasteful with wood.  After all, owning a sawmill, kiln and the ability to go get just about any size log home makes my lumber supply nearly endless.   Well tonight I discovered my earlier conclusion was wrong.  :o   

I've been climbing over and around the mess in the woodshop for quite a while and figured since I'm starting some major projects around the house I should clean up the woodshop first.   I've been climbing over and around the mess  for a while so thinking it would be quick I started tonight.   ::)   First thing that I realized is how much wood I have accumulated in the shop.  It's leaning against walls, benches, and big tools like the lathe, planer, radial arm and table saws.   I've got piles on the floor, piles on top of, under and behind cabinets, work benches and other places.   When I began sorting and stacking I noticed that much of the "wood" was pieces left over from other projects.   All good stuff, but it's lots of short and narrow pieces.  Some as small as 2 or 3 inches wide and 18 to 30 inches long.  There is also quite a bit of larger pieces as well.

My question is, Am I the only one that is a wood hoarder?     :)    When is it OK to toss all of these "good" pieces into the wood-burner?   smiley_dizzy

How much wood should a woodworker chuck, if a woodworker would chuck wood?   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

ancjr

Sounds like some pieces that Santa's elves would use to make toys...

:)

jdtuttle

My shops the same way. I need to start cleaning & give the scraps to some woodworkers for small projects.
Have a great day

WDH

No!  You cannot toss those "good" pieces in the wood burner  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

here we get 14 months of winter so we need wood for heating   :)my wife gets mad if i burn the furniture ;D
it can be a big problem if you dont stay on top of it, i slab alittle heavier to eliminate those "borderline" boards, if it dosent make it into the green stickerd pile it wont end up in the shop for further proseccing.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

I think most of us have a good supply of various sized lumber!

Most times, I will just pick up the pieces and shake the sawdust off and restack the lumber!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pigman

When I sold the old place two years ago I had  very big fire. At my new place the pile of almost good stuff is starting to grow.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Tom L

I've been working thru my garage and basement workshop for the last year. I am a horder , no doubt
most of the wood that I have been getting rid of is really junk, that I have saved, thinking I can find something
to do with it. it is all dry . so the junk has been getting cut up to fit into my smoker cooker and I have been burning it in there while grilling. the good stuff that I find I have been jointing it on two sides and restacking it in the basement.
so I now have a really good supply of nice boards that I can build some stuff with

the one good thing is now I have more room , and I been buying more machines to put in the open space.  8)
so it's a win win all the way around to burn some wood.

m wood

I can remember the "befor the mill" days too well.  Couldnt find the right board for a project if my life depended on it.  now the rafters and all the shop corners are the same way as your shop DR_Buck.  I didnt have to go too far for scrap wood to set the plow on yesterday.  got a couple 55 gal barrels for anything under a foot long.  :) 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

We use up the little stuff for picture frames and such.  ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

r.man

I would suggest that smaller good lumber would be a welcome donation at any high school with a wood shop. They always have a planer and kids that don't have much of a budget for material. Amazing what can be made from a pile of narrow boards and some glue.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Mooseherder

I may have a problem.  WDH had so much wood he infected me.  I blame him.
There's a couple of scrap wood projects on the table with 3 more ideas for the rest.

Magicman

Well, at least your scrap is neat.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LAZERDAN

No you cannot throw thoes away,  But you  will never use them.  So get some glue and make some useable lumber and you will look at them differently, and it won,t be cheating your just looking    Lazerdan

ancjr

Throw in a few 6-9" logs, piles of bark and sawdust, dimensional lumber, offcuts, slivers and put the current job on top: stain grade trim, and those pictures look a little like my shop.  :)

mesquite buckeye

I'm wondering what magic happens when he is working by the light of the tiki torches. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

okmulch

My shop is the same way. I have pieces of wood everywhere! I have all these grand ideas of building different things but never get around to building them. I end up going out and trying to clean but then never get finished.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

beenthere

I have some too.. but then I also have...

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

In honor of woodpiles across the world, I present a Pecan Pail made from wood scraps left over from the Pecan Farm table project.
I couldn't decide to make the handle round or square, so it is both.  The handle was just finished as I took the lathe out this afternoon.
There isn't any finish on it and there probably won't be but it'll hold water, I'm sure of it.  ;D
Many times these scraps could have been used while grilling but the glue will now save it from that demise.
Only 2 screws were used.  One for each side of the handle.  They're recessed so you can't see them.

clww

Looks like a great looking well bucket to me. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Like Magicman said.......What evers thrown into the well, will surly come up in the bucket.  :)

Very nice Glenn.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mesquite buckeye

Well, isn't that well bucket looking well?

Well, I think so. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well, well well. ;D :snowfight1:

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!