iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions on chains

Started by Dieselsteve, December 19, 2013, 10:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselsteve

Hi there I have a stihl ms 440 magnum with a 25 inch bar im currently running stihl chains I was wondering what opinions yall have on different chains? which ones are "the best"?

sawguy21

Scroll through the forum, you will find no shortage of opinions on chain. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

luvmexfood

In my opinion it is hard to beat the woodland pro chains from Bailey's for the money. I pay just a little over half what a Stihl chain runs around here. Maybe a dollar more. Can eat a lot of taco's for the savings in price. Merry Christmas.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

John R

I've gotten the best service with Stihl chains.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

sharkey

I prefer the Oregon '72' series a/k/a Super 70.     

ladylake

I don't pay attention, just use what's on the saw.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: sharkey on December 20, 2013, 05:58:56 AM
I prefer the Oregon '72' series a/k/a Super 70.     

Yes, Oregon LP or LPX - but I don't mind LGX or Stihl RS/RSC either in 3/8". :)
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Unlike some I don't have the numbers commited to memory .Round filed chisel.Stihl is harder Oregon is faster .Woodland pro is cheaper .

motard

If'n you hand file go with Oregon,
Stihl is hard as they get, stock up on files
Woodland pro is in between, get it on sale, best bang for the buck!

Al_Smith

I just want to point out unless they've changed the geometry of it file woodland pro straight across .It doesn't respond like Oregon 72 does with a 10 degrees compound angle .

jwilly3879

Whatever is on the saw, file it before it is completely dull. Usually run Oregon or Carlton LP style (we sell both). It doesn't seem to make much difference, bucking on the landing I usually wind up with some dirt, now frozen dirt and it will kill any chain. Looking forward to some nice clean wood, with some snow it's getting better.

thecfarm

I have run Oregon for years. That is what my dealer carries. I have not tried anything else. Who knows I might like something better. But that is what the dealer carries so that is what I use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shootingarts

Was running the factory stuff on the Makita when I got it, even fresh sharpened it was s-l-o-w. Seems like it was Vanguard 92 or something like that, marked Dolmar.

Swapped to full comp round ground chisel Stihl chain, the saw woke up and cut a good bit of moderately clean wood fast and without significant dulling. Didn't cut rusty wire hidden near a fence row well at all! This will surprise absolutely nobody that knows chain, it takes a long time to file rocked or wired chisel chain back to life. A lot more teeth on a full comp loop for a 20" bar than a three tooth to the foot loop on a box store sixteen inch saw too!

I have a Granberg file-n-joint or three now so I am going to go back and try to find some life in the factory chain for the fencerow cutting. Going to leave my new Stihl RSC in the box until I need it too. While the Stihl is pricey my dealer has a buy one loop full price get one half price deal going on right now which brings the price down to twenty a loop for my twenty inch bar. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick and if Sandy Claws is good to me I may buy a couple more loops, thinking about a 28" bar and full skip chisel chain.

Once I ran chisel in some pretty big cuts it would be very hard to go back to anything else for felling and bucking. Plan to square file the full skip stuff, getting a little faster and easier to damage all the time. I'll run the "junk" chain near fencerows for awhile now though!

Hu

motard

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 20, 2013, 09:00:05 AM
I just want to point out unless they've changed the geometry of it file woodland pro straight across .It doesn't respond like Oregon 72 does with a 10 degrees compound angle .

WP is pretty fast the way I file it.

I just freehand so there is little repeatability.

Usually use a bit of an up swipe (from inside out) and have a pretty pronounced hook.

Al_Smith

They might have changed the stuff by now .I haven't bought any for years except a long loop for an 084 Stihl with a 42" bar .It hasn't had enough run time to even refile it so I don't know .

Well I'll tell you how long it's been .20" loops,72 driver were on sale for around 10 bucks .I refiled it like I do Oregon and it didn't do so well .It was only after good ole "Crofter " ( TW's dad )showed me the error of my ways could I get it to cut right .

I kind of miss intermingling with those two  but we run in different circles .

mad murdock

I'll second the notion, stihl chain is really hard on files, oregon much easier on files. I think woodland pro is made by Blount industries (they own oregon,Carlton , Windsor and who knows what else), made to Bailey's specifications. I think it is the same as Carlton chain. All good, if I was I dirty wood all the time, I would probably go for stihl chain, and a grinder for sharpening. Prolly get more mileage in dirty wood. Felling and bucking, it is hard to beat Oregon and WP. Especially if you are a ways in the woods and are relying on the file to keep things tuned up.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

Quotestihl chain is really hard on files

One good reason that I like the Stihl chain. I figure it stays sharper longer if it is harder to file. :)

And another thing, never have thought it was hard to hand file... been doing it for almost 40 years on Stihl chain. Just get good files and toss when they start to go dull. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shootingarts

Quote from: beenthere on December 21, 2013, 11:54:08 AM
Quotestihl chain is really hard on files

One good reason that I like the Stihl chain. I figure it stays sharper longer if it is harder to file. :)

And another thing, never have thought it was hard to hand file... been doing it for almost 40 years on Stihl chain. Just get good files and toss when they start to go dull. ;)

I'm using Pferd files bought by the dozen for just over a dollar apiece and like you I'm not finding Stihl hard to sharpen other than the piece I tried to cut wire with. Even it cuts well, just a lot to cut.

Hu

H 2 H

If your in clean wood try Stihl RSLHK

Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

SawTroll

Quote from: H 2 H on December 21, 2013, 02:58:04 PM

It obviously depends on many factors how well that works... ;)
Information collector.

H 2 H

Quote from: SawTroll on December 21, 2013, 04:59:37 PM

It obviously depends on many factors how well that works... ;)

Dag atleast I went out and tired several brands and type of chains on three different classes of chain saws 40 cc; 50 cc and 70 cc before post something about it; im a hands on type of guy not one to read stuff on the interweb and believe everything posted on it    8)

Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

shootingarts

That's a chain I'm strongly considering, stretching the bar to 28" on my makita 6401. If 64cc's doesn't pull it then I have reason to up the cc's to 79 or 84.

Hu

ehp

I run oregon LGX chain, I donot like LPX chain as I bore cut every tree so the LGX chain works alot better

JohnG28

Quote from: shootingarts on December 21, 2013, 10:26:22 PM

That's a chain I'm strongly considering, stretching the bar to 28" on my makita 6401. If 64cc's doesn't pull it then I have reason to up the cc's to 79 or 84.

Hu

Save you some time, up it to 79cc before going with a 28" bar.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Maine logger88

I run Oregon LGX always worked good for me
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!