iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to me saw video Ported 288 XP

Started by CCC4, December 19, 2013, 09:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

Looks like a good running saw. I've put many a hour on those old 288's. That was my saw of choice when the size of timber we could cut made me give up my 2100xp.  :D
I see you've got the Husqvarna 300th anniversary model. That would have made it brand new in 1989. I bought 2 of them that year, still have 1 of them.  smiley_beertoast

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

KyLogger

I just picked up a 288 the other day with a 24" Sandvik bar and new chain.................for $125!! Granted the saw needs some TLC, new coil, gas tank got a leak somewhere and needs a new brake guard. Starts and runs good, has good compression etc... I think I wanna build it! That saw of yours sounds good and really ripped through that pine!

I still wish we had a pine market  :(

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

jwilly3879

RayMO

Good sounding/cutting saw and I bet it did even better after you filed the teeth a couple of times .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

treeslayer2003

Stephen Alford

Sweet sound to that beast. I notice a wee bit of early morning frost on the ground  ;D does it get cold enough there that you have to open the port ?
logon

CCC4

Well I'm glad I got to make a video with it...I am pretty sure it blew up today! I was jamming through a pine set with both skidders running me.....I was pushing the saw for all it had and guess I pushed too much! I'm very very bummed out about it...I've only had the saw in the woods like 2 1/2 days of cutting.

After each tank of gas it got progressively worse to pick gas back up, then later I shut it off and it never re-started...it would hit but was running like it was out of gas, then it went to nothing. Compression felt low so I tested it and it pegged out at 150#'s down from 205#. I have spark so it's not the coil, could be the carb but the reading on the compression gauge kinda makes mne think I broke a ring er something. Dangit!

Ed_K

What did you do,file the raker's off  ;D boged it down some.Are you running 8 tooth sprocket and full skip chain?
Ed K

CCC4

The tree right before I cut those pine was a 3ft white oak and I probably dulled it a bit. That chain was rocked 4 seperate times before I made that video. I run full comp on it, it "used" to have enough ass to pull full comp...

KyLogger

Don't feel too bad my 576 bombed today too! If it aint one thing it's another!
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

redprospector

I wish I would have lost a saw instead of finding out what I have to do to the front end of my new (to me) Dodge pickup today. I could buy a couple of brand new Stihl 460's for what that's going to cost.

Back on topic: Clint, didn't you just have that saw built?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

CCC4

I bought it built. So I tore into it and found that the intake side skirt hit the intake window causing a crack in the piston. The ring seized on the exhaust side.

Cylinder is fine..IDK how but luckily the only thing wrong is there is some debris on the dome edges. I am assuming it came from the piston skirt. That is still puzzleing me though. I am not 100% sure where the metal came from. Rob bearings seem fine, wrist pin bearings are fine, spark plug was intact....

Also, I have been runnin the snot out of this saw the last couple days, especially today...so when exactly did the piston skirt hit the intake window?

1270d

May have come from a main bearing cage

Huskstihl

I can't wait till you get it back together.  That saw sounds great, and like Bitzer's vids, I could just listen to that saw work without even seeing the video

CCC4

Oh it will be back up and running pretty quick! Husk, I think my camera makes it sound quieter than what GoPro videos sound like. I have a hand held camera I will get someone to shoot me falling some trees and see if it sounds any better.

Good to see ya on here and WELCOME to the forum!

ps...you have a bunch of buddies on here!

ehp

CCC4 , really and I mean really check your big rod bearing for cracks or pieces missing , you should not have pieces from the intake skirt missing , next when you get your new piston measure the intake port width then measure the intake skirt width on your piston to make sure the intake is not over ported , If the piston had to much skirt clearance that can cause the intake skirt to crack but if piston was in real good shape then that should not happen, just trying to find out why the piston let go before putting a new one in and it happening again cause next time you might not be so lucky and it ruin the whole saw

Eccentric

Clint sorry to hear about your troubles with the 288XP.  Hope you get it squared away soon.
-Eccentric.

Don't tune old saws with a tach!
Tune the H side so that it '4-strokes' (burbles) at WOT unloaded.  It should just 'clean up' when under load........and revert to '4-stroking' when you lift cutting pressure.

CCC4

Quote from: ehp on December 24, 2013, 08:02:31 PM
CCC4 , really and I mean really check your big rod bearing for cracks or pieces missing , you should not have pieces from the intake skirt missing , next when you get your new piston measure the intake port width then measure the intake skirt width on your piston to make sure the intake is not over ported , If the piston had to much skirt clearance that can cause the intake skirt to crack but if piston was in real good shape then that should not happen, just trying to find out why the piston let go before putting a new one in and it happening again cause next time you might not be so lucky and it ruin the whole saw

She is gonna get split I am afraid! I was hoping to find something come loose in the carb...no go there! Gotta be deeper in! The builder said the skirts had not been shaved any, I hope to find an obvious problem when I get it tore down. Thanks!

CCC4

Quote from: Eccentric on December 30, 2013, 05:06:20 PM
Clint sorry to hear about your troubles with the 288XP.  Hope you get it squared away soon.

Hey Aaron! Good to see you over here! I'm sure you know Bob is over here some...always respected that fella! I will get that saw back to running soon enough...it's a good saw! I have just darn near converted over to solid orange looking saws! LOL!

Huskstihl

I can't wait to see the next video when it's running.  The sound of that saw, plus Aaron's eloquent musings on their prowess in the trading post is making my CAD kick in again.  Hope you had a good day boys, all's quiet on the southern front

CCC4

It was a good day Husk!  8)

Yeh, I miss that saw already, but the 372 is helping me deal with my short term loss.  ;) Hey Husk, I cut the baffle out of the 660 over the weekend...NO MORE WHISTLE! LOL! I couldn't believe what they had built in the muffler...talk about squeezed! I am going to make a "swing" video 2moro and I might run the 660 to see how it sounds on camera.

All's quiet here too! Stay safe man!

gologit

Hey Clint...try a triple port on that 660 muffler. The factory dual port is good but adding a third exhaust really seems to wake that saw up.  Aaron has run mine set up that way...he can tell you how it does. I don't know the part number but Aaron probably will...it's just a deflector on the left side of the muffler.  I think it's from a Husky.

I've gone back to work for awhile helping out a friend of mine. So much for retirement. We're trying to get as much of the burn salvage timber out as we can before winter shuts us down.
Semi-retired...life is good.

Huskstihl

I am glad to hear you opened that thing up.  Gologit says they sound like an old oven timer, but being all young and stuff, I think it sounds like the valvetrain on a DOHC 4 cylinder.  Not a bad sound, but not what I'd like.

I was politely suggesting this before, but now I'm just gonna tell you to... wear hearing protection! 

Huskstihl

Ironically, the deflector typically used to add another port to a muffler is from a ......Husky 288xp!

CCC4

Quote from: gologit on December 30, 2013, 09:53:22 PM
Hey Clint...try a triple port on that 660 muffler. The factory dual port is good but adding a third exhaust really seems to wake that saw up.  Aaron has run mine set up that way...he can tell you how it does. I don't know the part number but Aaron probably will...it's just a deflector on the left side of the muffler.  I think it's from a Husky.

I've gone back to work for awhile helping out a friend of mine. So much for retirement. We're trying to get as much of the burn salvage timber out as we can before winter shuts us down.

I am definitely going to look into that triple port! Thanks! I am glad to hear you are back working, guess there are alot of boots on the ground out there cutting the salvage timber. I remember over on AS I think where someone posted about all of that burn timber being cut, I'm glad it is getting logged so soon rather wait till it's junk. Stay safe out there Bob! Thanks!

CCC4

Quote from: Huskstihl on December 31, 2013, 11:11:36 AM
I am glad to hear you opened that thing up.  Gologit says they sound like an old oven timer, but being all young and stuff, I think it sounds like the valvetrain on a DOHC 4 cylinder.  Not a bad sound, but not what I'd like.

I was politely suggesting this before, but now I'm just gonna tell you to... wear hearing protection!

Yeh, I am going to try and get one of those helmet systems with ear protection, my hearing is leaving me rapidly I think...and I'm just 40...heck by 60 I won't be able to hear myself fart!  :o

Husk if you could have ever heard me pull the stick on a Detroit powered ground hog mill! Man I could throw some saw dust! Probably why my left ear is the worst.  :D

treeslayer2003

after runnin detroits most of my life every thing else seems qiet lol.
i'm bout def in my left to.......huh what ya say?????

Eccentric

Your 660 is the strongest 066/660 that I've ran.  Jasha does good work indeed.

So you're healed up and working again eh my friend?  Don't overdo things.  You're retired remember!  Did you receive that package I sent you?

Quote from: Huskstihl on December 31, 2013, 11:12:42 AM
Ironically, the deflector typically used to add another port to a muffler is from a ......Husky 288xp!

Yep.  503078301 is the Husqvarna part number for that 288XP deflector.  503405601 is the # for the screen that goes under it (if you need the screen).
-Eccentric.

Tune the H side so that it '4-strokes' (burbles) at WOT unloaded.  It should just 'clean up' when under load........and revert to '4-stroking' when you lift cutting pressure.

gologit

Quote from: Eccentric on December 31, 2013, 11:35:52 PM

So you're healed up and working again eh my friend?  Don't overdo things.  You're retired remember!  Did you receive that package I sent you?

Yep.  503078301 is the Husqvarna part number for that 288XP deflector.  503405601 is the # for the screen that goes under it (if you need the screen).

Yup, that's been a good 660.  TreeSlingr' knows how to put together a  real logging saw.

I got the package and I thank you very much.  If you get a chance PM me Ron's email so I can thank him properly.

And don't worry about me working too hard.  You know that's not going to happen. The unit we're doing now is all mechanized so I spend more time in the pickup and on the telephone than I do with my feet on the ground.

And a little note to the rest of you guys...if you're ever around Eccentric and need somebody to put that final little fine tune on your saw...even if it's a saw built in this century...he's the guy to see.  Bribe him with home made cookies...works every time.
Semi-retired...life is good.

Eccentric

Quote from: gologit on January 01, 2014, 05:04:40 PM
Quote from: Eccentric on December 31, 2013, 11:35:52 PM

Yup, that's been a good 660.  TreeSlingr' knows how to put together a  real logging saw.

I got the package and I thank you very much.  If you get a chance PM me Ron's email so I can thank him properly.

And don't worry about me working too hard.  You know that's not going to happen. The unit we're doing now is all mechanized so I spend more time in the pickup and on the telephone than I do with my feet on the ground.

And a little note to the rest of you guys...if you're ever around Eccentric and need somebody to put that final little fine tune on your saw...even if it's a saw built in this century...he's the guy to see.  Bribe him with home made cookies...works every time.

PM sent with Ron's email address.  Thanks for the kind words.  "Even if it's a saw built in this century"...... :D
-Eccentric.

Thank You Sponsors!