iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaking Chains

Started by red9, December 19, 2013, 05:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red9

I have a Sthil 291 and a 261 both with 20" bar, and am cutting solid ice. Both saws are brand new.  Did the same last year without breaking a single, but this year I've broke 4 chains in the last two days.  We use veggie oil instead of bar oil so that it doesn't discolor the ice.  We keep breaking chains and the local dealer and we are not sure why this is happening.  The saws are lubing normally.  We'll be cutting along and suddenly the chain is broken.  We're not aware of hitting anything in the ice.

Does anyone have any idea why we keep breaking chains?  Thanks in advance.

Jiles

The only chains I have broken or had other problems with were made in China.
Could that be your problem?
Satisfy needs before desires

thecfarm

red9,welcome to the forum. Cutting ice to put in smelt shacks? traps??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Upon inspection of the chains, can you describe the break? Are there other links in the chain that show symptoms of breaking the same way? Need a bit more info to make a comment.
A good clear pic of the break would help.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Philbert

What size / pitch chain?  STIHL brand? Sprocket nose or hard nose bars? Cutting with the tops or bottoms of the bars when they break?

Thanks.

Philbert

Oliver1655

When we used to cut the ice on the river in Northern Minnesota we used Stihl .404 semi-chisel chain with a hard nosed 17" bar. Never had any problems.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

JohnG28

I have used my little Husky 142 with lo pro 3/8 16" b/c as well as my Stihl 361 with 20" 3/8 to cut a hole through the ice at my camp the last few years without a problem. When you say you're cutting solid ice I assume these are blocks you are cutting down to size for carving, as you said you were concerned with the coloring. Are there any other things that could influence the chain breaking besides the ice in your scenario?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Philbert

Quote from: Oliver1655 on December 20, 2013, 02:09:10 PM
When we used to cut the ice on the river in Northern Minnesota we used Stihl .404 semi-chisel chain with a hard nosed 17" bar.

I was wondering if the nose sprocket might be freezing up, which is why I asked.

I also seem to recall people not using any bar and chain oil, but only the melting water/ice: what did you use Oliver (if you recall).

Philbert

Andyshine77

Make sure the new chains are the correct pitch. Other than that it could very well be the metal getting hard and brittle. A timber feller I know up in Canada has had this issue with Stihl chain. I myself prefer Stihl chain and I've never had that happen, but than again I don't cut in very cold temperatures. ;D   
Andre.

Oliver1655

If you were cutting the ice for consumption, you had a separate bar & chain which never saw oil.  If you were just cutting to open the ice for livestock or flooding the ice for skating they would use whatever was handy.
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Thank You Sponsors!