iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Logging Photos with Ralph Stanley 1800's to 1960

Started by Ward Barnes, December 18, 2013, 07:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

thekitz

Thanks Ward for sharing the photos!

I am jealous of the trees back then, but can only imagine the hard work that went into harvesting them. Wish the fellows back then could see how we do it now-a-days .......
Norwood Manual HD36 sawmill - Stihl MS391 - F250 Ford Super Crew cab - 16 foot 10k GVW trailer - Logrite Fetching Arch - 22 ton woodsplitter - best dog in the world to keep me company and discuss anything

OH Boy

Those are some of the most incredible pictures I've ever seen. Cant imagine how old some of those trees were, and now it seems a shame they were cut, but I guess they needed them at the time and management was secondary. How did those horses move those loads?
Thanks for posting that, never seen it before.

NWP

Cool. And I thought I loaded my trailers heavy sometimes.  :D
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Wellmud

Those are some really cool photos, it never gets old looking at those old pictures. Makes me think I should trade my Kubota for a team of horses!
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

hardtailjohn

I always love those old photos!
A sled on an ice road can be pulled incredibly easily. I've grabbed ahold of the pole on our feed sled and moved it across the yard by myself with 60 bales of hay on it, each weighing about 60# when it's on ice..... so a good team of horses can move a lot if the conditions are right!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Autocar

Amazing pictures, thats when our country still knew how to work ! Blows my mind how hard it must of been.
Bill

Banjo picker

I enjoyed it... thank you for taking the time to post it.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

samandothers

Thank you for sharing. My daughter and I watched together as she was interested by the horse pictures with the huge sleds of logs.

lowpolyjoe

Incredible.    Thanks for sharing.

One of my coworkers claims the logging industry has destroyed this country's forests.  I don't have any info to have an opinion one way or the other - other than the fact that i see plenty of trees for miles around when I drive through PA  :D. 

I get a very clear sense of a focus on sustainability and responsible practices from the people on this forum.  But back in the day, if there were no regulations and perhaps no thought for the future, the industry could be an environmental disaster.  I'm curious, did the early days of logging do any serious harm? 

terry f

Maybe to some streams, would have liked to see a few more giant redwoods saved, take a while to grow.

CX3

Neat to watch. Thanks for sharing my boys enjoyed it
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

shootingarts

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on December 19, 2013, 09:45:23 PM
Incredible.    Thanks for sharing.

One of my coworkers claims the logging industry has destroyed this country's forests.  I don't have any info to have an opinion one way or the other - other than the fact that i see plenty of trees for miles around when I drive through PA  :D. 

I get a very clear sense of a focus on sustainability and responsible practices from the people on this forum.  But back in the day, if there were no regulations and perhaps no thought for the future, the industry could be an environmental disaster.  I'm curious, did the early days of logging do any serious harm? 

There isn't a stand of old growth cypress left in Louisiana other than perhaps a near mythical bottom that I read about a few decades ago in an odd area of the state to have cypress. Both the state and the fed's deny knowledge of it's existance and I had a fed doing the asking. All of the major stands were cut before WWII I believe, most before the thirties.

Some of that cypress rivaled redwoods, it will take another few thousand years undisturbed to grow them that big again. Fat chance! My brother and I were just talking yesterday about what a shame it was that not even five hundred or a thousand acres were preserved. I don't know of any preservation area at all, even a couple acres.

Some of the cypress boards used in the old homes in Louisiana were forty to sixty feet long and three or four feet wide. Knew a man who took down old buildings and he had a four feet wide sixty feet long board. Could have been considerably bigger boards other than the difficulty handling them.

I don't blame the people that did the logging, from loggers to bosses and owners, different time, different priorities, little or no understanding that what they were consuming was irreplaceable for all practical purposes. One mill in Louisiana was processing a quarter million feet of cypress a ten hour day. Some good video on youtube if anyone is interested. Search Louisiana Logging 1920's should work.

Edit: Been a lot of changes since I have been there but Hodges Grdens and the tree farm around it are the vision of one old logger and oil & gas man. Fantastic place, AJ Hodges was a man of vision.

This link is to the history of the place. I used to go there several times a year, wonderful gardens natural and carefully cultivated.

http://www.toledo-bend.com/hodges-gardens/index.asp

Hu

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave VH

I enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

I quess I see why d.o.t. started making load and weight regulations.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Thank You Sponsors!