iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deception

Started by Jeff, December 18, 2013, 01:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

So, what do you all think about the practice I'm about to describe to you. We just caught on to it going on here.

Short Question, What do you think about a company, not knowing yet if it is a company practice, or just an unethical marketing employee that registers for The Forestry Forum as An Average Joe, to ask a question, but then we find is also registered as another user so he can answer said question with a little knowledge and a link to a product they recommend. This person was not clever enough in his deception to use generic emails. but used domain names belonging to the company as email addresses.   The posts were designed to deceive you, and use that deception to advertise.   

To be clear, this company is NOT or never has been one of our sponsors. It is a large, online multifaceted power equipment company.

So, what do you think? A fair thing to do to the forum and its members or to say the least, underhanded?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

I am known for my gentle disposition.  Is it possible to figurative castrate these types?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

Send him to be gasified.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Shotgun

It's not fair to the forum, it's owner, the forum sponsors, or the members. That should call for banning both of the user names, and calling out the firm name. What other tricks would a person / firm like that come up with?  If it's an individual employee doing it unknown to the firm, that's the firm's problem.  And I'm not even from Texas.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Andy White

Need to let his firm know of that practice and see if they will own up to knowingly letting this happen. And I for sure would want to know the name of the company so I would be careful about having any dealings with them.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

gspren

First they should be banished, second we should know who they are and/or at least what product they recommended.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gspren

I want to add that I have made several purchases based on information I got here, some from sponsors and some non sponsors but I like to believe that the recommendations were sincere. If a business wants to recommend their own product that's fine as long as we know who's making the recommendation.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

beenthere

Off to Disney land for that one.   :snowball:  8)

Good catch Jeff.  That is why you are so clever at fixing up these contests..   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

I am pretty new to the FF I don't think it's fair at all I would like to know the name of this company so I don't buy form them :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mad murdock

unfortunately I think in this digital age, it is a gowing practice, having said that though, I do think it is unscrupulous to the hilt!! I have heard of firms paying their employees to sign on to various sites online and write reviews about their producs, as well as firms paying web saavy individuals to do the same about their products, makes it had to know who or what you can believe.  As for this forum, I think it is one of the best run sites I have been on, here on the WWW.  Thanks Jeff for looking our for all our interests!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

nmurph

Not illegal
Caveat Emptor...whether it is a hard good or intellectual information
I doubt Jeff will openly name the company

kevin19343

I'll bet there are 20 more just like him/her on these boards that you haven't caught. It's a fairly common practice.

chet

Quote from: nmurph on December 18, 2013, 02:40:56 PM
Not illegal
Caveat Emptor...whether it is a hard good or intellectual information

Many things in this world are not illegal.  But that don't excuse them same things from being held up to a moral and ethical scrutiny.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

Quote from: nmurph on December 18, 2013, 02:40:56 PM

Don't bet on it.  I've called the company and went up the food chain as far as they would let me to begin with.  I want to know if this is a company practice or if this is one employee's dumb idea of a good marketing idea.  I've heard there are actually bots out there that will do this automatically. Register, and post, and answer its own posts via another registration. 

Quote from: kevin19343 on December 18, 2013, 03:05:15 PM
I'll bet there are 20 more just like him/her on these boards that you haven't caught. It's a fairly common practice.
Maybe, but I doubt it. One of the reasons we are so adamant on making sure new registrations are real people. We have quite a process we go through checking I.P. addresses against  all posts ever made on the forum.

So far from my contact I got "Well, I don't think he was really trying to deceive anyone".  HUH??   And then, "Well, we'll have to look into is, and maybe we can get back with you".  Again.  HUH??  I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and give them a chance to get back with me and explain themselves before I make any final decisions on how to handle this. For now, that user(s) has been banned.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Spike60

It's definitely deceptive. The person and both of his identities should be booted out for good. If you would rather not name the company, then direct us to the thread involved, (if it's still up), and essentially the person will be naming himself. I'd say it's more important for the members to know who he represents than for him to remain anonymous.

This is too slimy and sneaky a way to promote a product. Gives a bad vibe and I wouldn't want to do business with anyone that operates that way.

Thanks also for running this by the members to see how we feel. First class all the way Jeff.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

nmurph

Quote from: Jeff on December 18, 2013, 03:07:30 PM...that user(s) has been banned.

Ban the user and block the IP address.

You've registered your disdain for the practice. It's up to the company bosses to do the rest. If it was a rogue sales weasel trying to drum up business, then the company will take care of it.

Was anything the user said incorrect or derogatory toward a competitor?

orion388

I feel its only fair to POST the company name and let the members choose for themselves whether to do buisness with or not. There "product" should be able to stand on it's own merit without deception.

Deception.. yes..  :snowball: >:(

If it's not a company policy, I feel like an executive from the company should come forward and apologize to YOU for the attempt to decieve YOUR forum and members.

Sincerely

John
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

thecfarm

As a few have said,I trust the reviews and past experience of others. Trust is the key word here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

uplander

I think it is deceptive and underhanded. If I owned the forum I would ban/block them.

Uplander
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow....I've never heard of anything like this and really didn't imagine somebody would do something like this.

I'd like to know who they are......if its OK.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

terry f

Testing Testing, nope, wasn't me

doctorb

It would be easy enough to post in such a manner as to better disguise the fact that the posts are in "collusion" with one another for a purpose.  No question it's deceptive.  On the county fair midways they call these planted people "shills".  That's exactly what they are here too.

As a way of moving this forward for the protection of the Forum and its members, I might suggest that the members and certainly the administrators be alerted for any post recommending a product with a link to another site.  While cumbersome, I am not sure how often these recomendations occur without further support and corroboration via posts by other members, which is really where our faith in the opinions posted here is generated.  I think it's a serious enough misuse of the Forum that we may need to discuss it further as administrators and bring a policy to the readership.  Could be a new addition to the Forum rules.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jason_AliceMae Farms

I know that I am fairly new but one of the big reasons that I finally decided to stop lurking on the forum was the way that the forum was run and it was a nice break from a lot of the nonsense that goes on day to day with the world we live in now.

As I remember reading many times from members that were welcoming newbies...."pull up a stump" (I edited out all the stuff about grits  :D)  If this type of activity was going on within a group around the campfire I would probably place my stump into the fire and walk away from the group.  I don't ever want to feel like I have to throw my forest forum stump into the digital campfire.  I don't agree with the behavior and I agree that when discovered should be dealt with appropriately.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

webgal

My boss would say I have waaaay too much time on my hands. Their boss should say that too. If they are that big, maybe they should be a sponsor and come out of the garage on this. More the merrier!
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

Thank You Sponsors!