iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Preserving a tree trunk?

Started by scgargoyle, December 18, 2013, 07:36:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scgargoyle

I couldn't figure out where to post this question. I want to use a smallish tree trunk as a decoration inside of a covered porch. Not a live tree, but a cut piece. My questions are- How do I preserve it so it more or less stays together? How do I get the bark to come off naturally, as opposed to de-barking it with a tool? What kind of tree would you recommend? Choices include white oak, red oak, gum, poplar, maple, and southern pines. Is there a better time of year to cut it?

My plan is to find a somewhat crooked/interesting specimen and center it in a gazebo I am planning. I have plenty of time, so I can harvest it and prep and preserve it at my leisure.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Best time to cut and de-bark is in the spring when the buds break and the tree just starts to leaf out.  This is when the cambium has initiated new growth, and the bark will peel off mush easier than any other time of year.  In many species, you can peel it off in long strips.  Yellow poplar will be very easy to debark at this time. 

If you spray (saturate) the tree post with a borate solution (disodium octaborate tetrahydrate), that will protect it somewhat from bugs (boring beetles), and it is safe.  This works as long as the tree post is protected from rain.  Rain, overtime, will leach out the borate as it is water soluble.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

WDH is right about spring,alot of pulp wood use to be peeled in the spring in this area. Also might even want to fall the tree on to tires? But depends how big the tree is to and how many limbs you have on the tree too. Don't use chains on it to move it. They will leave marks,use straps. I use chains and they leave marks where the chains bite in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

If you dry it like firewood, the bark should pop off in a year. If you like bug marks those will come as well. Biggest worry is powderpost beetles. What they leave behind is garbage. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

I myself would not like the trail of bugs. I have peeled some wood,for the sawmill and the slabs look good. Nice and smooth. Than there have been some that was not peeled and the bark is off them. Not something that I would want to be looking at. As the saying goes,Another man's trash is another man's treasure.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

Once it is in place, it will be out of the elements, but be exposed to humidity and temperature extremes. I want it to look like it is supporting the middle of the gazebo, even though it won't be. A few beetle trails would be OK, but then I would be paranoid that they were fresh!

I can keep it in my barn to dry once the bark is off. Should I dry it before applying the borate, and how dry should it be? I'll experiment this spring.

dchiapin

being from South Carolina, you should be able to find Bald or Pond Cypress fairly easy. They are easy to peel and even if you decide to keep the bark on, that would be very attractive also. Of course you should use some type of Borate solution to protect it either with the bark on or off. I did the same thing you are talking about on my house using Cypress, only difference was I cut two sides flat to use as a story pole (measuring how tall the kids are, always a christmas time ritual) and left the bark on the other two sides. Still looks great after 26 years in place.

mesquite buckeye

The engraver beetles leave really cool patterns. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

You can apply the borate to green, as in not dry, wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

scgargoyle

Cypress would be nice, but its usually too straight (same problem with poplar). I'd like something with some character. There's a great sourwood in my front yard, but I don't want to cut it down. I do like the idea of a flat on one or two sides, though. Visiting guests could sign it.

Thank You Sponsors!