iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Needy Families

Started by Magicman, December 17, 2013, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yesterday a friend and I went to the grocery to purchase groceries for needy families.  This is done each year through our church.  We spent almost $600 and have 13 families on the list.  Everyone will get a ham, eggs, bacon, butter, milk, peanut butter, cereal, flour, corn meal, sugar, and several cans of veggies.

I delivered one box yesterday and the lady burst out crying when she saw what was in the box.  It was only about $45 worth of groceries, but even that meant so much to her.  It's hard to imagine what families do that have nothing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

martyinmi

You are da man Lynn! 8)

You ought to see the look on the faces of folks up here when you show up with a pick-up heaped full of wood- especially when they are down to only a few days supply left.
It sure is a blessing when ya can see and feel their gratitude! :)
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Autocar

I think its great but I personally I have problems with helping at our church we have a free dinner every Wednesday we feed maybe 245 on the average plus I run two routes of deliverys. I will get leads on jobs and tell some of them and  they never show up to see about it when I ask the business. Another example we spent over a thousand dollars to repair a roof and furnace and two months later she moved out went to another trailer and the church built a wheel chair ramp over a thousand dollars she left the area a month later now we have to tear it apart and remove it from the property. Another example the church took a family for Christmas and when I took everything to the house they had a better Christmas because there was so many organizations giving also. I know I shouldn't be that way but alot of folks don't even try I don't mind helping anyone thats trying but they seem to be far and few between.
Bill

JohnG28

That is great Magicman! I'm sure there are many grateful people who you are helping out, and it feels good, especially during the holiday season. Thanks for sharing.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Bill Gaiche

Your heart has to be one of the biggest in Mississippi. bg

Wellmud

In the right hands that looks like some cart loads of biscuits & gravy, eggs and bacon, what family would'nt like that! Very nice thing you are doing there :)
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

hardtailjohn

I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

js2743

Did you have scrambled eggs? I see bags and bags of flour sitting on top of eggs.  :) Your a good man MM your always helping others in all different ways possible.

Peter Drouin

Good job MM . Ann and I give food to a small food pantry in town every month.
There's one guy buys boxes and boxes of cereal too ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ST Ranch

MM - Your energy and generousity seem never ending - a true heart of gold.

I share Marty's idea -I had an elderly neighbour lady living on low income who at Christmas time baked and cooked and gave generously to many, only to barely make due in the spring.  Every Christmas we called the propane company and filled her storage tank to ensure she never went without heat.  She recently passed and this thread started by MM only reminds me of the need to find a new needy neighbour.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

Ljohnsaw

Where I used to work, we had the Toys for Tots drive.  Fellow employees would give cash.  I would watch the ads for the local drug store chain for toys on sale.  More than once, the manager would ask why I was buying all the toys.  When I told him, he would pull out last week and next weeks sale flyers and give me those prices on all the toys.  We easily "doubled our money" and could help out a lot more families each year.  We would fill a few barrels with toys.

Another person organized food drives and we would fill box after box with groceries.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Firewoodjoe

That's great. I just got a call for a load of wood. Gave me a address and said whatever it cost and sent a check in the mail. The guy said he's never met the person just knew he was in a bad way and was out of wood. That's awesome people still have the Christmas spirit in the world we live!

samandothers

smiley_clapping
Good job sir!

Martha White Nelson

Magicman, I don't know you personally, but I see that you are a very kind and generous man.  Recipients of your time, skill, knowledge and giving, are receiving Gods gift because of you taking part in their lives.  My brother Andy went to Rusk with y'all on the goodwill trip and said he had a great time and learned a lot.  It's a wonderful thing y'all do for others.  Thank you!!
Martha

MikeZ

My church has just completed operation 466. We had the oppotunity to get a lot of toys etc. and we had a special offering and put another $2500 in, got more toys, made up and wrapped 466 boxes for every child K thru 6 in the elementery school. Rewarding smiles everywhere, even when minister cut it short Sunday so we all could pack, wrap and stack for delivery.
MikeZ  Homemade  Mill

doctorb

Magic-

Nice effort.  I saw on another thread that you had been previously collecting for someone else in need.  I am sorry I was out of touch with that thread and missed it entirely.  You are a good egg.  Please, somehow, make me aware of these charitable efforts on which you embark.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

Quote from: Martha White Nelson on December 19, 2013, 08:31:45 PMMy brother Andy went to Rusk with y'all on the goodwill trip......
Just for the record, Andy White proved to be a prince of a man.  When we got to Austin's place each morning, Andy had the fire going and the water hot, and he had driven ~80 miles.  His knees were hurting badly and his limp was painful to watch.  He never stopped and would always grab two boards instead of one.  He never left for home early, but did so only after the sawing was over for the day.  His parting words were always; "see you in the morning".

I am proud to call Andy White my Friend. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

A big thank you to you, Lynn, and everyone who is helping others at Christmas time. When I was young we got boxes of food delivered from a church and toys delivered by the local fire department, all donated by caring people in the community. I never knew it then, but Christmas was quite a bit nicer because of the kindness of others.
I generally spend a little for toys and this year was able to make something to donate, but until I read this post I had forgot about the food. I think food was the biggest part of Christmas. We weren't starving, but on Christmas we had GOOD food. ;D
Thank you for helping me remember. I'll be to the store tomorrow.

Allan

wwsjr

I echo everything Lynn said, I too am proud to call Andy White a friend.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

chain

Truly a wonderfully benevolent act your church is doing, MM. We do a considerable amount of helping the needy around here. But these holidays bring on a different group  of unfortunates, I will call them homeless wayfarers, their numbers are growing.

One young fellow was seen everyday with suitcase in hand walking the highways. I've seen him a hundred miles from my home, trudging along, seemingly with a mission. Well, someone thought they'd help him out and gave him a bicycle with baskets front and back. Yesterday I saw he had two shopping carts in tow pushing his bike down the shoulder of highway.

We have a fellow standing out in the middle of the field right now, his baggage over by a hedgerow, getting ready to camp out tonight. Flash flood watch tonight and tomorrow 4-6" rain predicted.  What do you do? Most those fellows are survivors, somehow.

Another stayed in a horse barn all fall up 'till Thanksgiving, some lady found out about his plight and brought food everyday.

I've seen them down and out, I've written about them before, county came to get a fellow because we thought he would freeze to death, that was on Christmas also. It goes on and on, The Homeless.

Bill Gaiche

Martha White Nelson, welcome to the FF. I worked with Andy at Austin's place. He is a great guy. Very friendly and has a big heart. Was glad to see him every morning because I knew we were going to have a good day. Sure glad he was there every day because if he wasn't I knew my butt was really going to be dragging by the end of the day. As MM stated about his knees, I would just grimace to watch him struggle to off bear lumber. He never complained and just kept on. I too am glad to have worked and know him now. bg

Warbird

Having been there, when I was a kid living in a godless family, I say God bless you and everyone who helps those in need.  Well done, my friend.

timberlinetree

So nice to hear of such nice people helping out those in need. Bless u all! :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!