iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Garden Tillers

Started by yardpro, December 17, 2013, 10:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yardpro

Hello,

I am thinking of buying myself a garden tiller for next year. I figure that I should start looking now so I end up with something that will last. Does anybody have any experience with tillers? Just want to get some opinions on brands, types, or anything else that may be helpful.

Thanks in advance

goose63

I have a60 inch tiller pto drive for the back of tractor and a rear tine to go in side the rolls the rear tine is a lot less work than a front tine :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Planman1954

I bought one at Lowes about 5 years ago for around $300.00. It worked well for me. I plan on getting another one soon and will go with the same type. The tiller was in front of the engine, and it would get after it! I plan on using it to level the hill around my pond so that I can plant grass for a level surface to fish (areas that I can't do with my 9n tractor.) It would do a nice sized garden in no time. It was similar to this:

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

BBTom

I am using a Troy-Built Horse that my brother purchased in the early 70's. He moved to town and I bought his tiller from him.  About 5 years ago I finally replaced the old 8 hp Tecumseh engine with a 5.5 hp honda.  The Honda has more power than the old worn down Tecumseh had.  I did replace the tiller drive gear once and it has used up two and a half sets of tines, but for the amount of use this tiller has gotten I feel like I have gotten my moneys worth and then some.  Close to 40 years on the same tiller makes the per year cost pretty cheap.  I can still get parts for it, too. It may still be running 40 years from now.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

m wood

are you in an established garden patch only?  then a good front tine could work for ya.  If you plan on cutting any sod or virgin ground your gonna want a beefy tiller.  I have always recomended a rear tine with a minimum of 7hp.  I hate wrestling a front tine in a job thats too big for it.  But like bbtom said, his 5.5 honda powers right thru.  I DO like those bullet proof hondas.
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

beenthere

Those older Troy-Bilt's were excellent tillers. Then they started making them cheap, I suspect when the company was bought out IIRC. Then they existed under the good name of the original company.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dutchman

yardpro, where are you located?
what kind of soil?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, yardpro.  I wonder about your forum name??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

It depends on the budget and size of garden, close quarters and limited budget make a front tine a good choice, a bigger garden with room makes a rear tine a good choice, they can get into the back pocket, but makes the chore a little easier.  This past spring a neighbor tilled me a new spot with a 5' rear tine pto driven, it made quick work of the sod,   david,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sawguy21

What others have said, it all depends on what you want to do with it. If you have a small developed plot a mini tiller such as a Mantis will do a fine job. A larger area with heavy soil will require a heavier unit, here a front tine with a five or six hp engine will do the job but be aware it is a bucking bronco and hard work in unbroken ground and soils such as clay.
If you have a large garden with room to turn around a rear tine will do a great job but are more expensive and require some caution. The reverse rotating units such as Snapper will really dig, great for breaking sod,  but will bury the wheels easily in soft soil making it a bear to get unstuck. The forward rotating models like the old Troy-bilt or BCS do a beautiful job but be sure there are no roots, the high speed tines hit one the operator will be pitched into the next county. Take it from one who knows. :D The ultimate is the Honda FR800 but there cannot be any debris in the garden to get caught in the counter rotating tines. Expensive breakage will occur. Most important, get a higher end used one rather than a new cheapo from a box store. Trust me on this, I make my living selling parts and dealing with service issues.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Philbert

Front tine tillers let you till right up to fences, walls, timbers, etc.  They store in less space if that is an issue.

Rear tine tillers are better for heavier work, new plots, etc.

Either one, learn to 'rock' them onto and off the tines to control depth and movement, instead of fighting them.

You can rent some and see what works, what you like, etc.

Philbert

OutdoorGuy

A lot of this depends on how big of a garden you have and what you plan on using the tiller for (weeding, breaking new ground, etc.). For weeding, a cultivator will probably work for you, while breaking new ground will require a larger, more powerful garden tiller. I found quite a bit of information at Tillers Direct. They had a pretty nice selection of garden tillers and buyer's guides, which you will probably find helpful.

Here is the link to their site: http://www.tillersdirect.com/

Woodcarver

We have a Honda front tine tiller that we bought in the late 70's.  Our garden now is a little less than half an acre.  It was larger when our three kids were still at home and we raised asparagus, strawberries and raspberries to sell.

We've replaced the tines once.  The drive to the tines is a chain that runs in oil.  We replaced the gasket on the cover when it began leaking oil about 10 years ago.  I've replaced the spark plug a few times.  Other than that we've done nothing to it.  It still starts on the first or second pull and runs well.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

thecfarm

I brought a Troy built about 13 years ago,the Horse Model. I think 8 hp. I have not done a thing to it,needs tines now. I have used it alot. But just in the spring and fall. One of those things that I don't reallty feel I have ever really got my money back on. It only gets used spring and fall. I mulch with newspaper and hay between the rows. I also have the Pony model. It's much smaller than the Horse and much eaiser to turn. I might use that between the rows this summer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2013, 09:18:05 PM

Interesting eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Quote from: Jeff on December 18, 2013, 10:18:56 PM
Quote from: Magicman on December 17, 2013, 09:18:05 PM

Interesting eh?
Yup, I usually look.  His first post two months ago was about chainsaws, and with a link.  ?? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

m wood

interresting?! and no return since his OP. 
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

beenthere

Quoteand no return since his OP.

...under that name....  ::)
south central Wisconsin

Magicman

He and OutdoorGuy have similar taste, because they both favor the same LINK seen in Reply #10.

Jeff

I restored the missing post from our recycle bin that was deleted for spam. Got to thinking it was better to keep the topic intact as sort of a warning sign post to members and guests.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

OK, that tied them closer together.   smiley_thumbsdown smiley_thumbsdown

Al_Smith

Quote from: Magicman on December 18, 2013, 10:36:15 PM

Yup, I usually look.  His first post two months ago was about chainsaws, and with a link.  ??
Enlighten me .Were they perhaps a type of chainsaw that resembled a very popular brand made in Sweden noted for quality and robustness per chance ?

Jeff

Nope.  A question about whether to buy an electric or gas chainsaw, then a different personality with some helpful information "direct"ing them "Unbiasedly" to a website that just happens to sell both.

sawguy21

::) I didn't notice this was only his second post. Shoulda picked up on that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

I routinely look back at a new member's profile to see when they actually joined, where they are located,  and what about and where their previous post are.  Sometimes this is interesting and it also helps to prevent me from welcoming a member that has been here since 2005.   :-[

thecfarm

I noted the second post,but thought he had a legitimate question.  :o  A lot come on here and the first post they ask questions and we all join in and voice our opinions.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hi....I am POSTONLT40HD.
I am thinking of buying myself a band mill for the coming year. Could someone with experience with band mills point me in the right direction to a good one that will last. Do they come in an Orange color?  ::)

Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 19, 2013, 07:23:32 PM
Do they come in an Orange color?  ::)
Firstly, welcome to the forum, POSTONLT40HD!!  And to answer your question, yes they do come in orange but oddly fade to pinkish (salmon ???) color.  Some ppl  (materhead  ::)) on the forum seem to like them. ;) ;D :D

PS Can we get an updated bearded mater-head? :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!