iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying Sycamore

Started by Bill Gaiche, December 16, 2013, 10:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

Here in northeast Ok, about how long will it take to dry fresh cut lumber in my solar kiln? No DM. Just sun and fans. I have always air dried before. I thought it may do ok this time of year. Thanks in advance, bg

Andy White

Bill,   That's a nice looking kiln for sure! I have not sawn any Sycamore yet, but have 4 logs ready to cut, so I can't tell you anything about it. What are the dimensions of your kiln? The only thing I see missing is a KILL switch!   Looking good, keep up the good work.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I am impressed with the awesome kiln you have.

Are there two layers of clear plastic?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Bill Gaiche

Thanks Andy, I haven't installed a kill switch yet. Do you really think I need one? I may need you to wire it in for me if so. 12' x 6' outside dim. Thanks Gene. Just one layer. bg

bedway

Im impressed with your kiln Bill. Could you give us (wanna be kiln builders) some more info. on yours?

Bill Gaiche

You can look in my gallery for some info and photos. Its 12'x6' outside. 4ea. 4x6" runners on the bottom. Floor is 6" thick with treated plywood on each side with insulation in between. Walls are2x4" and insulated, with treated plywood also. Doors are the same. 2ea. Outside has treated plywood for the back and pine lap siding for the rest. 120v gable fans. Interior is painted with black foundation sealer. Roof is 45 degrees with green house plastic from Lowes. 4ea. vents. bg

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

You will be surprised at the additional heat and faster drying you get with a second layer of plastic.  You can use something like heavy polyethylene on the inside of the frame...it will need to be replaced when it gets brittle, but it's not very expensive.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on December 17, 2013, 04:25:36 PM
You will be surprised at the additional heat and faster drying you get with a second layer of plastic.  You can use something like heavy polyethylene on the inside of the frame...it will need to be replaced when it gets brittle, but it's not very expensive.

If you use greenhouse grade 6 mil it will last longer. ;D

They claim it will last 4 years. It will be less in a hotter spot.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is the uv light that damages plastic films, so using an uv absorber greatly extends the life.  Such films have a variety of names, such as greenhouse.  Somewhat expensive, but often worth the money.  When used as the second, inside layer, life is extended as the outer cover likely absorbs or reflects some uv..

mesquite buckeye

It isn't really terrible costwise. Around $600 for 30X120 in PHX. That would cover a pretty big kiln. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Bill Gaiche

I agree about the extra plastic. I have seen 168 degree temps in the summer time. I am not in any big hurry about drying. I just do personal projects anyway. But I do appreciate the tips. bg

5quarter

About the Sycamore...I've dried quite a bit of it and it dries quickly and with little or no degrade (QS). I've never tried flat sawn as I'm always sawing for maximum ray effect, but I've heard it will often twist itself into a pretzel. I do have some wide Sycamore slabs that are air drying and look pretty good though.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!