iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Old?

Started by smawgunner, December 16, 2013, 06:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smawgunner

Hey all...first post. We bought some land that has a very large poplar (tulip tree?). In fact, we think it may be old growth. It's nearly 6 feet wide. Without taking a core sample, is there any way to ball park this type of tree's age with simply the circumference?

samandothers

Welcome to the forum.  I must let others chime in on the answer.

beenthere

The answer is no, not for any accuracy worth anything.
Surrounding buildings and location of settlement of the area maybe better to get an estimate.
And something that size would likely be old growth... at least near the center of the tree. But if still alive, young growth out under the bark. ;)  Is 6 ft the circumference?

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

A pic would be great, as we like pics.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smawgunner

Here is a picture. It's still alive barely. It's on the driveway to the cabin which was built in circa 1871. 

beenthere

smawgunner
Good on the pics, that was quick.  8)

That is quite a tree.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smawgunner

Quote from: beenthere on December 17, 2013, 09:18:04 PM
smawgunner
Good on the pics, that was quick.  8)

That is quite a tree.

Thanks! For an Ohio tree...it's pretty big.

WDH

Gunner,

Hard to say how old, but I suspect a 150 - 200 years.  Yellow poplar is a fast grower on a good site.  At 200 years old, to get 72" in diameter, that would be between 1/3rd to 1/2 inch of diameter growth a year, and that is well within reason.  That would make the annual rings a bit less than 1/4" in size. 

That is a fine tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

smawgunner

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2013, 09:24:11 PM
Gunner,

Hard to say how old, but I suspect a 150 - 200 years.  Yellow poplar is a fast grower on a good site.  At 200 years old, to get 72" in diameter, that would be between 1/3rd to 1/2 inch of diameter growth a year, and that is well within reason.  That would make the annual rings a bit less than 1/4" in size. 

That is a fine tree.

Good to know. Thanks!

ancjr

Mine are 75-80 years and 22" DBH.  How do I know?  Even aged stand, and I've cut a few and counted the rings.

At my old house, had one of them cut down because it grew so big, so fast, that it threatened the house.  20 years old and 18" DBH - some of the growth rings were nearly 3/4" wide.

I'd put good money on yours being between 50 and 300 years old.  :)

smawgunner

Quote from: ancjr on December 17, 2013, 09:39:37 PM
Mine are 75-80 years and 22" DBH.  How do I know?  Even aged stand, and I've cut a few and counted the rings.

At my old house, had one of them cut down because it grew so big, so fast, that it threatened the house.  20 years old and 18" DBH - some of the growth rings were nearly 3/4" wide.

I'd put good money on yours being between 50 and 300 years old.  :)
Lol...I'll have to get a circumference measurement.

smawgunner

We measured it...it is 15 feet 4 inches around.

LeeB

That calculates out to right at just a smidge under 5 ft. Still a mighty big tree.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

It is a fine old tree. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

coxy

wow   lots of table tops in that  how many deck spindles do you think are in that butt    cut off at 10ft :D 8) 8)

thurlow

The older I get, the lesser I know;  cut a Southern Red Oak ('least that's what we call 'em) a couple of years ago.  It was 46 inches dbh and I assumed it was 100-150 years old.  It was at the head of a tiny little hollow where the soil is wet almost year 'round.  We've lived here for 40 years and it was only a couple of hundred yards from the house;  apparently it was 6 years old when we built..............46 rings and 46 inches.   :embarassed:
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

WDH

Not surprised at all.  What you found is very common.  Most people way over-estimate the age of trees. 

ancjr

I've only seen tulip poplar that size in person @ Donaldson's Woods just northwest of me.  They have many such examples!

Thank You Sponsors!