iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Meet Harley

Started by Jeff, December 16, 2013, 05:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Back in September, Stacy and her boyfriend were given a small puppy. It was Lab and German Shephard they were told. It was also barely weened. A couple days after they got the puppy, J.D. had to go back to his ship on the Great Lakes, leaving the new puppy with Stacy. The day after J.D. went back to work, Stacy had a major Asthma incident that put her in the Hospital for Two days. Since then, Harley and Stacy have come to live with us until J.D.'s tour on the ship is done, probably not until the Soo Locks close in January.  I've taken it upon myself to do everything I can in raising this pup up. I've really grown fond of him, and I think I'll be lost when he finally goes back home.  He started out at less than 15 lbs the first week he was here. This week he hit 17 weeks old and now weighs over 50 lbs. He is going to be a moose.   It was tough the first few weeks, as we have had to keep Harley and Icey separate, as Icey thinks she is a person that hates dogs, and we were also caring for Scooter in his last days. 

Slowly but surely, Icey is at least accepting Harley into our pack, but he has had his butt kicked by her twice this past week. She does everything she can to avoid him, but he is a card, and aint learned yet that she is not one of his toys, and her toys are not his. 

He has the temperament of a lab, and seems to have the intelligence of a shepherd. He looks like all lab other than he has the feet of a moose. If he grows into them he'll be over 100lbs easy. He's a good dog. He was very gentle with Scooter, and some how we think he knew, even though he was only a baby, that Scooter was near the end. The last trip to the U.P., I took Harley. He travels well and was a gentleman while we were gone. I really like this dog. :)

You can see in this picture Harley has an issue he is being treated for. A condition caused by a mite he probably got from his mother causing loss of hair around his eye. Didn't know it happens a lot with Labs and is very common. He ans Icey are already Eye to Eye in size.

http://youtu.be/eHE1TZ6f4RY

http://youtu.be/u5htSR0E25A

http://youtu.be/T7qRTaXjqWM

http://youtu.be/aa2vSjXnTmk
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

samandothers

Great photos!  Dogs are so much fun and very loving.  Our last two pets were/are cats.  They are easy but not the companion a dog is.

Ken

Gotta love labs.  As I'm sure you know this is the time to help the dog develop good habits.  "a dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself".   Thanks for the pics Jeff.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Jeff

He just came and put his big ole feet on my lap to ask to go out. I raised up the phone and clicked his photo. He's growing up fast. He eats a lot and goes out a lot!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Lets hope the bigger he gets, he don't think you are a toy!  :)

He may turn out to be one of the best guard dogs you've ever had......if you keep him.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Jeff on December 16, 2013, 06:59:09 PM
He eats a lot and goes out a lot!

Watch where you step.  Been there, do that. :D :D :D :D :o

martyinmi

They say that pets take on the looks of their owner....or is it the other way around?

Look at Harley's eyes then Jeff's. Then Jeff's, then Harley's.

Spooky ain't it!  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Jeff

I wish he was mine, but he's not. He's the granddog. He thinks I belong to him though. :)

thecfarm

We had 2 dogs for about a year. The older dog did not like the wife's dog at all. We did not dare to leave them alone. The dogs go with us just about all the time. The wife's dog was kinda small so we would bring her into the stores. More than once the wife's dog found out who's bed was who's. But finally after about 6-8 months things got better. But Boo-Boo was still an old dog. I must admit,one dog is a lot easier now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hardtailjohn

What a face!!  I don't envy you having to let him go back! But at least you'll get "visitations"...    Dogs are way better than most people I know.... had one that was my total shadow for a little over 16 years. I didn't want another when she was gone...but when my wife finally got to move up here, she brought "Griz"... and right now he's cuddled on the couch, next to me.... my total shadow.  How do they steal your heart so fast!!?
Harley and Icey look like they've got it pretty well!! Good on ya!!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

JohnG28

Jeff, he looks a lot like my boy my wife and I got back in August.   Chibbs is 1/2 black lab, 1/4 German Shepherd, 1/4 hound.  He'll be 7 months end of December. He was around 20 lb at 2 months and is around 60 now. He is the best pup we could ever have imagined. Playful and great natured. Our 3 yr old niece is a big part of our life and he is amazing with her. He's our first pet and I couldn't imagine not having him already. I'm sure that pup there will get plenty of time to visit Grandpa Jeffs! ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bedway

Wife tells me weekly, "you love them dogs more than you love me" ;D

Raider Bill

Quote from: bedway on December 18, 2013, 12:39:28 AM

I seem to be able to keep dogs longer and they don't have pockets for the amex card.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

JohnG28

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 18, 2013, 08:50:11 AM
Quote from: bedway on December 18, 2013, 12:39:28 AM

I seem to be able to keep dogs longer and they don't have pockets for the amex card.

:D :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

JohnG28

Here is our boy. ;D

OneWithWood

Harley reminds me of our dog Baron, especially with the moose paws.  Baron topped out at 120#.
No matter the mix, the lab component always seems to dominate. 
Love labs.  Our current lab, Jette, is just another in a long line of truly wonderful, intelligent, obedient and loyal dogs.
Did I mention Harley has a face that just draws you in?  :)

Definitely understandable that Icey might be a tad jealous.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

More and more acceptance on Icey's end. I think she truly secretly likes Harley. if so, it will be the first dog for her to accept. She never really did accept Scooter. 

I've caught Icey giving Harley kisses. :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well it is Christmas.   smiley_love
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

chain

For the first time in my whole life I'm without a dog. The last two beagle pups, one was killed, the other disappeared, like poof! Funny, that I had just spent $250.00 the day before in Vet fees, very strangely funny.

The best thing about dogs, they are there for you when no one else is, that's important. Harley will be special.

Left Coast Chris

Harley has very kind eyes.  Very likely he has imprinted on you Jeff.  Definitely a friend for life.   Crickett, our Jack Russell cross opened his own gifts last night  :) :)      Merry Christmas Harley and Crickett.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Al_Smith

I don't know what it is about Labs .It might be 10 degrees out and they dive into a pond or any body of open water and go for a swim .Come out and shake cold water all over you .I think they might be part river otter .

Jeff

Harleybean is growing FAST.  Pushing 60 lbs now and only 5 months old.

http://youtu.be/V52pBrvEAY0

lowpolyjoe

Sorry I missed this thread when it first came around.  Great pics and videos  :)

Merry Christmas to you and your furry critters.

Al_Smith

That pooch is an interesting mix .Probabley the smarts of a German shepard and the nose of a Lab which is nearly as good as a blood hound .

Could get the traits of both dogs .Shepards  are herd dogs and become very protective.Labs are retrievers and water dogs .In puppy hood they will retrieve anything they can carry or drag .Lawn chairs ,spare tires,the neighbors cat .Cats aren't  too fond of being carried around by the head though .They protest .

sandhills

Thanks for the video, they seem to get along really well, my stepdaughter and her boyfriend just adopted a boston terrier boxer cross last weekend and he is spending last night and today with us while they are celebrating Christmas with his family in SD.  So far no issues but I think Miley our mastiff put him in his place real quick  ;), he's a year old and man what a ball of fire!  He's a beautiful dog but don't have pictures just yet and man does he LOVE to play!  Our litter of Aus. shepards are all gone now but one (my stepsons) and I'm afraid she's leaving with him after the holidays, I'm gonna miss her, but we didn't sell any of them so all but her are close to home with friends of ours and we can see them from time to time.  Icey is as intelligent as she is beautiful, Merry Christmas to all of you and the pups.

Thank You Sponsors!