iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need to buy a saw. Stihl or others?

Started by LKasdorf, May 28, 2004, 10:40:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKasdorf

I bought a ms310 stihl last fall and loved it, the few times i used it. Alas, it seems to have grown legs. So, time to replace it.

Since then, I have learned about the even/odd system with stihl. I want a 20" bar, but that 310 was a bit heavy when working up high. So, I think a lighter weight "pro" model woudl be in order.

I'm thinking of looking for a used 028 or maybe ms280 if I can find one. Or an 034, 036, ms360, ms361.

At the moment, my needs are mostly cleanup work on small stuff, but once I get my mobile dimension mill up and running and start processing logs, I can see a need for a serious saw.

I have been only considering Stihl. But maybe I should consider husky, redmax, jonesred. I think Lowes sells husky. Don;t know where to get the others locally. I am leary of anything other than stihl for reasons of parts, service, resale, etc. But maybe that is stupid.

I suspect this will spark a firestorm of controversy, but I'd like opinons before I plunk down my cash. Then there is the used/new controversy...

beenthere

I just bought the MS361, which I am understanding it to replace the MS360 (one dealer said he couldn't even get the MS361, but had the MS360, while the dealer I bought from said he could have it the next day).

I am happy with the saw, and find it cuts very well, and feels pretty good (having to get used to the saw bar vibrating as it is cutting, independent of the handles- mostly because my old 041 has no anti-vib and the handles move with the bar).  :)

It has the 20" bar and the 32 RS 3/8 chain.  (and I hand file it inside to outside, and do not have a burr left).   :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

incognitive

I've got a strong-running 036, and my serious saw is a strong-running 066.  I was just in looking at the 361 again today.  I really wish I could either justify or flat out afford one right now.  I've run it not in a cut and it's much smoother in hand that way than the 036, and I have it on good authority the 361 can safely be twisted up to 15 grand once all the parts are seated.

I can't get myself to like Elux (Husky & Jonsered, mainly) very much.  I don't hate them, mind you.  Perhaps part of the reason is the way they seem compelled to pull shenanigans with their published weights.  Maybe more is that I can't quite get myself to much like a company that has the mindset that regardless any person's peculiar interests, the company can make and sell them a product.  It's like Yamaha with their motorcycles, stereos, instruments, watercraft, and on and on.  Husky itself is just a small part of the Electrolux conglomerate so perhaps some slack is due them in that regard.  They have definitely alienated themselves with their current dealer requirements to carry the entire catalog, though, and by selling through the big box stores in competition with the now-strapped OPE dealers.

The few Husky saws I've run and used are indeed smooth in hand both in and out of the cut while the Stihls (just prior to the 270/280/361) vibrate more (only) out of the cut.  The comparable Huskies have all felt noticeably heavier as well, despite printed specs to the contrary.

Dolmar currently makes a 60 (or so) to 80 cc saw trio where the only different parts are the cylinder/piston pairs.  The saws run quite strong and smooth and they also have quite effective air filtration systems.  To me, the downsides are the opaque fuel tanks and specified weight shenanigans.  They sure do have user-friendly contours and did I mention they run strong?  The saws are also available in blue with the Makita name, though they're made in Germany.  The parts/service would likely be problematic compared to Husky or Stihl right now though.

The Stihl numbering system isn't entirely intuitive.  It used to be a good rule about the even/odd numbers, but a better indicator is the color of the rear handle.  Orange for light duty, white for heavy use.  Some say even that went out the window with the 270/280 last year.  The 361, though, has every indication it'll be a true workhorse.

The 280 is not an updated number for the old 028.  I've not used the 028 much but remember it as being a bit heavy for it's size.  Many people dearly love(d) them, though.

There is another line available with alternate garb made by Efco in Italy and sold both under that name and in John Deere green.  To me they seem just a little cheesy but I've heard they are a fantastic value.

I feel compelled to slight Echo a little, and there's really no need to mention Poulan (also an Elux arm) or the current Muckaluks.

There's a certain Japanese saw brand that hasn't been mentioned yet, but I ought to leave something for someone else to talk about, hahaha.

All that said, perhaps the MS361 would be your best bet for now.  You can then augment it with an MS660 at a later date.

Myself, I kind of hope maybe Stihl will dump the MS260 and replace it with an MS261...

oldsaw

I only wish they made a chainsaw.  I would be all over it.

I have landed firmly in the Stihl camp.  I only wish I could justify buying one right now, but I don't have the need as long as my old Homelites keep running.

I have an old used and abused (not by me) 066 that runs like its new.  Built like a tank, cuts like nobody's business.  Getting a 25" bar for it, and may even get an 18 or 20".  Power corrupts, but it feels SO good.
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Dom

I have a Shindaiwa 488 that i use mostly for cleaning out alders and cutting fire wood. I really like it, for what I do it has plenty of power and its well balanced, so its easy to use and not tiring.  8)  The dealer where I bought it also sells Hursquavana (sp?), and he swore that the Shindaiwa was a excellent chainsaw. Also, when I bought my chainsaw Shindaiwa was somewhat new in the area, so the selling price was low. They went up quite a bit since.  :(

http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/chain_saws/ch488.html

my 2 CAD cents.  ;D

LKasdorf

Still leaning towards a stihl of some sort.

I stopped by Lowes to look at their Husky offerings. They carry the rancher 55 and the 359. A bit of online checking reveals I can buy the 359 for $406 delivered (it is $479 at Lowes).

But it seems that the 357xp is a nicer saw- more power for same weight. It is about $480 delivered.

I can buy a stihl 360 locally for $492, so I guess I rather do that. Golly- we are up to $500 neighborhood now.

I don't know why, but the stihl saws just seem more "real" to me- less plastic. Maybe it is marketing. Of course, I've never run a husky, jonsered, redmax, echo, etc. All I know is that my stolen stihl 310 was sweet, and I now learn that it is kind of a "dog" in the stihl line, so a 360 or 361 should be even better.

It is rather annoying that Stihl doesn't allow sales online- so prices are pretty high.

So, I just don't know...

LKasdorf

And then there are the John Deere saws. Who makes them, and what do you folks think of them?

www.chainsaws4u.com has a lot of info and tech comparisons to stihl and husky.

Their CS56 which is 56.5 cc, 4.1 hp with 20" bar is $340. Weight is 14lb, so it is a bit heavy.

Rocky_J

I've heard that the JD saws are made in Italy by Efco I believe. I've heard that they are decent but heavy.

Hunter

Rocky, you are right. they are Efco saws and really a decent saw for the price. The 962 Efco is a strong runner.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Thank You Sponsors!