iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain saw blade sharpener advice

Started by skinnyest, January 21, 2014, 02:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sablatnic

A golfball! And it is round, doesn't hurt the hand!

Will remember that, and make one myself!

Yatt

Wow, I have one and a half 5 gallons pails of file handles from the golf season. 

I am rich.
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

HolmenTree

Quote from: Yatt on January 24, 2014, 11:19:22 PM
Wow, I have one and a half 5 gallons pails of file handles from the golf season. 

I am rich.
All you need now is a patent :D :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

7sleeper

I agree with the others that a simple file is an excelent tool. But with only 15-20 chord woodcutting per year, mastering the technique freehand is not realistic! So I recomend seriously some help. The best help in my eyes is the Husqvarna roller guide. Here is a good video of how to use it. They have a set (roller guide, 2 round and 1 flat file and a file handle)  where I live for about 20$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipoud-zzXT8

Further for seriously rocked (stone, earth or nail contact) chain, I recomend a electric grinder. Using a file is simply annoying. And for your little use, I would recomend one of those el cheapo Harbour Freight Grinders. They are very simple (no fancy grinds but about all chain delivered today is 30/60° anyhow, so no difference there) and are not for people who break tupperware easily, so if you go light on it the results are quite good! Here is a good video of how to use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3m_ErOrzHY

Good luck!

beenthere

Good video on the explanation and use of roller guide, except he didn't know how to use the raker gauge.
The gauge takes more off the raker if using the "soft" side so in softwoods, there is a deeper bite of the tooth.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

The notch at the end of the raker gauge should sit down around the chain, not butt up against the back of the preceding tooth.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Rob5073

Quote from: John Mc on January 25, 2014, 04:48:07 PM
The notch at the end of the raker gauge should sit down around the chain, not butt up against the back of the preceding tooth.

100% correct. That Husqvarna file guide and depth gauge are easy to use once you figure it out.

Philbert

The Oregon 511A, and newer 511AX are the ones that most other grinders get compared to. About $300 to $400. Bailey's has the very similar Speed Sharp on sale right now for $310 shipped - I would look at that.

I would also ask your Dad what he uses, and what he recommends , if you have been happy with his sharpening.

Any method or device you choose will take some advice and experience to get proficient with, so he may be a good place to start.

Philbert

Philbert

QuoteIf you get one throw the vitreous stones away and get CBN wheels.

NO!  Mail them to me!!!

Philbert

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

1270d

I also prefer the red wheels over the steels.  Unless someone can recommend a faster cutting wheel than the Oregon red stones?

Corley5

I've got all CBNs for handheld saws up to 3/4" pitch.  No dressing and they cut just as well as the rocks.  The small wheels are Foley Belsaw.  I'm not sure what brand the 3/4 is.  The saw shop got it for me when I bought that grinder.  All a matter of preference  :)  I've sharpened miles of 18H chain and thought I'd try a new one for no other than reason than I could.  The new one didn't cut any different than the old one.

1270d

I have steels from LM sharpening, and one other place that I can't think of right now.  At first they did cut about the same as a stone, but it didn't take long and they re slowing down.  I always cleaned them often, and flipped them.  Stones make more of a mess, but I dress them as soon as they start to discolor, around two loops worth, and discard them when there is about 3/4 of an inch left to the label.

Corley which  CBN wheels do you use?

7sleeper

This sure is a funny thread! A bunch of guys recomending a cbn grinding wheel for someone cutting 15-20 chord of wood a year! That cbn wheel will last in that setting 100-200 years!  :D

Corley5

The small ones, 1/8 and 3/16, are from Foley.  The big one for 3/4 pitch I don't know.

John R

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 22, 2014, 04:11:02 PM
For beginners learning to file , a little trick to reduce the "rocking chair motion" in your filing stroke is switch your file handle for a golf ball. Don't laugh it works   ;)
You've peaked my interest, how does this help?
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

HolmenTree

Quote from: John R on January 26, 2014, 10:45:55 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on January 22, 2014, 04:11:02 PM
For beginners learning to file , a little trick to reduce the "rocking chair motion" in your filing stroke is switch your file handle for a golf ball. Don't laugh it works   ;)
You've peaked my interest, how does this help?
Ergonomics
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

skinnyest

Thanks for all the replies....I gave it a shot and picked up a file and guide for about 20 bucks,watched a couple you tube videos and gave it a shot.Im not getting them as sharp as they come out of the package but there not too bad either..........Doubt if ill ever be a master but least I learned something new............thanks again
shawn(the blade guy) lol

Thank You Sponsors!