iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw Helmet

Started by Knute, December 15, 2013, 08:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knute

Even though I work the woods a lot, I have never had a chainsaw helmet and realize I should. I am wondering which one or ones you would recommend.

Philbert

Surprisingly, the 'chainsaw helmet' is not just for the saw.  The mesh visor and hearing muffs on some help in that respect, but one of the biggest dangers is a falling limb from a tree you are cutting on, or one that gets knocked loose by another tree falling, bouncing, etc.  That took me a while, and some reports on logging injuries/deaths, to understand.

Most helmets are classified as 'Type I' and protect from impact from above via a web suspension.  We are also seeing more 'Type II' helmets that protect against side impact; these typically have a foam liner (like a bicycle helmet), which makes them slightly heavier, hotter, and more expensive along with increased protection.

Most saw manufacturers (STIHL, Husqvarna, etc.) sell a branded combination helmet with the visor and hearing muffs.  Petlor and A.O. Safety (now 3M?) also sell one. These are usually pretty light and available from your chainsaw dealer. MSA sells heavier duty versions, based on construction hard hats, if you need a more durable one.

I like the combination helmets (still need safety glasses underneath the mesh screen).  Some guys prefer full brim helmets with separate ear plugs and safety glasses.  Climbers need a helmet with a strap to stay on, and no bill or visor to get caught by branches.

Bottom line is to choose one that you will wear, which means it should be comfortable, and fit the work you do. 

Philbert

thecfarm

Sounds like you just cut firewood and just play on your land? I only use a hardhat,but my wife would come to see me at times where I was cutting. Sometimes she would stay and watch me cut,at a safe distance away,but in areas that I might of just cut in.One day she asked me,why don't I have a hard hat? A very good point. I got one for her.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Knute

Thanks for the info. Hope Santa brings me one.

redmule

Don't for get to ask santa for some  chaps also.

Rob5073

I sent a pm to the OP with a link on a deal I found on a forestry helmet which I had actually purchased for myself.  Good day all.

Philbert

Quote from: redmule on December 16, 2013, 04:39:25 AM

Good Idea!!!

Philbert

goose63

Quote from: redmule on December 16, 2013, 04:39:25 AM
you bet get the chap's I learned the hard way big hole in the pant's long scratch on the leg that's as close as I care to get agin :snowball:
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: Rob5073 on December 16, 2013, 06:02:24 AM
I sent a pm to the OP with a link on a deal I found on a forestry helmet which I had actually purchased for myself.  Good day all.

Send me the link too. ;)

luvmexfood

Definetly on the chaps. Until list summer I had never heard of them. Spring before last I was cutting out a fence row to replace. Hit my leg and saw my pants were cut. Didn't think a thing about it for maybe 5 seconds then the oh poop factor kicked in. Ripped the pants open and had two fairly deep scratches on my leg. No major damage.

Bought me some late summer and got the saw into them a little the other day at idle speed. If not for chaps don't know what would have been the damage because the chain was still turning.

Now for helmets. Was limbing a tree I had cut and did not notice that the limb was almost a U shape and curled back over my head. Cut it off and it hit me on the head. Not ever a pump knott but did hurt my neck a little. Purchased a helmet at Lowe's from a major saw manufacture but it would not stay together. Returned it. Then about a week later was cutting another tree and a dead limb fell right beside me. Time to order one and I did. One interesting fact. The one I got at Lowe's had an assembly guide for it. It was written in over 100 languages. Most I had never heard of.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

kwatvrider

I have the Peltor helmet w/ the mesh face shield and ear protection. It has lasted me years w/o problem and still going. I don't use it everyday like a lot of guys on here though but wear it every time I run my saw along w/ my Stihl wrap around chaps!
Stihl 036 w/ 20" bar
Stihl MS180 w/ 16" bar

Knute

I have used chaps for many years. Just never got the helmet. Is it possible to wear a liner under them in cold weather? Don't have as much hair as I once did so need more than a plastic dome.

jwilly3879

Yes, easy if you get the 6 point rachet suspension.

beenthere

Yes, there are helmet liners for hard hats. Saw one on the Labonville site short while ago. Had a cape that came out on the shoulders, and looks like it would be good to keep cold air and snow from going down the back of the neck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Philbert

Same thermal liners construction workers wear under their hard hats should work. Check at any work clothing store.

One advantage of buying a 'name brand' helmet is the availability of parts. If you take a good knock on the head, retire the helmet - it has done it's job, and there can be hidden damage.

But if your mesh visor gets mangled in transit, or you break an ear muff, or if you set your helmet on your saw during a break and melt part of the suspension on the muffler, you can often get replacement parts from a full service dealer.

Philbert

thecfarm

I got a liner for my helmet,it's a Labonville one. I only live 20 minutes from there. They have short ones and long ones,I have the long one. Kinda hard in the late fall and early spring. I bring 2 helmets with me,one with no liner and one without. It's kinda of a bother to put the liner in and out and adjust the helmet each time. In the morning I need the liner,high noon I don't.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shootingarts

Should be able to get plain or insulated liners for the six point harness hardhats. More comfortable to wear and with straps around the main band and a chin strap the hardhat stays in place when you are looking straight up and back down without having to be snugger than I like a hardhat to be.

I tested a Hardboiled hardhat many years ago. Piece of 2.5 inch pipe 12-15 feet long caught me that would equal a pretty fair sized limb. Without liner or chin strap the hardhat went flying one way, me another. Was about a four inch pleat in the hardhat, considerably better than it being in my head! A little bit of headache, a sore neck for a day or so, zero lost time. Wore hardhats for many years in the petro-chem plants, protected me from a lot of minor dings over the years and some not so minor.

Pretty much everybody invests in safety gear when they have needed it once and didn't have it. I'm getting better about buying it before I need it.

Philbert posted excellent advice while I was typing this. At the very least after an incident where the hardhat or helmet suffers a heavy blow replace the suspension system. No way to know how close to failing it came or how much damage was done. If it is a fiber reinforced shell it needs to go too. Anytime you "test" safety gear it has paid for itself many times over. Total replacement is safest and we usually find upgrades or slightly different units we like better over the years.

Hu

Ward Barnes

Howdy Folks.  As well as using my chainsaw helmet when working a tree I also wear it when on my tractor.  The ROPS (roll over protection structure) has a nasty habit of catching a low lying limb from my apple trees when I mow under them and the resulting spring action can whap the back of my pumpkin head quite hard.  Left my ears ringing on one occasion, but, I still had my ears!

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

RCBS

A buddy of mine has a Rockman hat and its the nicest I've come across.  I currently have a Husqvarna branded hat from Lowes.  Planning to upgraydde to the rockman soon.  Very nice hats.
Echo CS-3400, 550xp, Jonsered 2166, L3130 Kubota, '78 JD 300 backhoe, Kubota RTV900, JD2305, lots of sharp stuff and several firearms

sprucebunny

I have whatever brand Labonville sells for $35. It has lasted very well.
Before that I had 2 Stihl helmets. On one the ear pads disinegrated from using bug repellant. On the other something broke and I can't get it apart and my luck with repairing those helmets has been poor.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

AdkStihl

Does Peltor still market a helmet system?
J.Miller Photography

Philbert

I believe that Peltor and AO Safety were both bought by 3M - you may see the familiar products with new names.

Philbert

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UgxGCuNyXTtnxTXOxT6EVtQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=HeadFaceCombinationLflt.pdf

This shows a UK address, but I assume that they are also sold through US distributors.

beenthere

Bailey's, our good sponsor, carries a variety of helmets and headgear, including Peltor.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Helmets-Headgear/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

AdkStihl

If you were to choose between the 3M/Peltor OR Oregon, which would it be?
J.Miller Photography

beenthere

For me, I've not used the Oregon.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!