The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Chainsaw Helmet  (Read 6876 times)

Offline AdkStihl

• J.Miller Photography
Re: Chainsaw Helmet
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2013, 11:12:28 am »
Does Peltor still market a helmet system?
J.Miller Photography

Offline Philbert

• Full Member x2
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 01:08:57 pm »
I believe that Peltor and AO Safety were both bought by 3M - you may see the familiar products with new names.

Philbert

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=66666UgxGCuNyXTtnxTXOxT6EVtQEcuZgVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=HeadFaceCombinationLflt.pdf

This shows a UK address, but I assume that they are also sold through US distributors.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 01:12:07 pm »
Bailey's, our good sponsor, carries a variety of helmets and headgear, including Peltor.

http://www.baileysonline.com/Safety-First-Aid/Helmets-Headgear/
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline AdkStihl

• J.Miller Photography
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 01:52:37 pm »
If you were to choose between the 3M/Peltor OR Oregon, which would it be?
J.Miller Photography

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2013, 02:33:30 pm »
For me, I've not used the Oregon.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline Philbert

• Full Member x2
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 04:51:58 pm »
I have used the STIHL and Husqvarna helmets (lighter weight) and the MSA forestry system helmets (heavier duty). Have not seen the Oregon branded ones.

As a practical matter, someone is making the branded helmets for these saw companies, and the same ones may be available with different branding.

Helmets with ratchet suspensions are easier to adjust when you need a haircut or a snugger fit, and worth the extra few dollars if you have a choice.

Philbert

Offline Lanternguy

• Cottage, Home and rental properties
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »
i have the combo ear, mesh face guard helmets from both Echo and Stihl and much prefer the Sthil one.  the echo ear muffs broke on me as they use a cheaper plastic attachment that snapped.   The stihl unit just seems likes its better made, i think cost more as well
Echo CS3000, Stihl MS180, Echo 450P, Stihl MS361, Stihl HS46C-E, Stihl Magnum BR600, Echo SRM225, Stihl FS 56, Echo TC-210 Tiller, Stihl BG56 C-E,  Black and Decker Alligator, Poulin Pro Blower

Offline DonT

• Lifes rough wear a helmet
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2013, 08:16:23 pm »
What evere helmet you buy make sure it has the ratchet adjustment at the back.For cold weather I wear a polyproplyne(sp) beanie. I have a Pacific helmet they are pricey but they are a nice helmet.  Pfanner has just released there new helmets in Noth America.I am sure they are nice but a little star wars  ish for me.   DT

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 02:44:17 pm »
I have whatever brand Labonville sells for $35. It has lasted very well.

I have one of these as well. When it arrived, one of the ear muffs didn't snap down very well/tight to my ear. They sent me another one. Within a month the other original one was doing the same thing so they sent me a replacement for that one as well. The replacements have lasted a couple of years but they are getting weak; I have to push them tight to my ears.

Prior to that helmet I used a Husqvarna helmet system for 10+ years. The only reason I switched was because I was afraid it had deteriorated from UV over the years and it was an older style 4-point suspension system. I kept it to use with my weed whacker and the ear muffs still snap down onto my ears tighter than my new one does. :(

I wish the parts were interchangable but the muffs from the old one don't fit on the new one or I'd have swapped them a long time ago!

Offline 7sleeper

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new here but old elsewhere!
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 03:44:35 am »
The ultimate helm system Pfanner Protos!

here is a video

But they cost around 190!!! here! I don't have one  :(, I only have a peltor. 

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 10:37:13 pm »
Here's my 2 main helmets a Pacific Kevlar on the left and on the right a Petzl climbing helmet.
Both helmets have a chin strap built into the suspension, which is very important in helping survive a struck bye.
Struck byes from a tree or part of a tree are the major causes of injuries and fatalities in tree felling or removal occupations. Major hazard for a climbing arborist is electrocution.
When hit by a struck bye the chin strap prevents the helmet from leaving the wearers head leading upon impact.
To explain further a outside branch or part of the hazard can flip a non chin strap helmet off the wood cutters head, a split second later a solid part of the tree or tree part can then impact the unprotected head. Many timber fallers have been killed in this exact scenerio.

My brimless Petzl climbing helmet offers the best unobstructed view while working aerial in the tree. I always have a whistle attached to its chin strap tail for easy access to warn passer byers or workers below.
Our sponsor Bailey's sells both these helmets. [that's who I bought them from   :)]
Also speaking of hazards look at the toe of my logging boot in the right hand side of the picture, thank goodness for steel toes....and the boot is still waterproof.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline jargo432

• Old school firewood cutting
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2014, 06:55:07 am »
I use the hat that I wear at work.  Here's one...

http://www.uline.com/BL_1090/Cap-Mounted-Earmuffs
Jack of all trades.

Offline davidw

• I'm new!
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2014, 07:14:06 pm »
I have the Elvex ProGuard that has the quick adj. head strap, which cost me $40. I found another use for the helmet last week when I was using a chipper from Home Depot. I was feeding a 3" dim. twisty branch when the branch twisted 120*, waffled me on the head and whipped across my face. I stopped the machine and got my head gear on!
I made the decision this year to get safe when cutting wood, chaps, helmet and steel toe boots.
David

Offline HolmenTree

• Senior Member x2
  • "Been there, done that........and still learning"
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2014, 11:46:18 pm »
Don't go cheap on head protection guys......your head is worth a lot more then that. ;)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Offline BEEMERS

• Full Member x2
  • Excavating contractor,Logger in the winter
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 12:29:48 am »
I have the Husqvarna helmet as advertised on Baileys.Helmets take a little getting used to. Ive had terrible head injuries and learned my lessons ( notice that's plural?) For me at least it became multi purpose after getting comfortable wearing it.
I skid with a dozer..another guy mentioned the rops...pulling back branches and letting em fly in your face..it seems those posts are spaced exactly for that to happen..on frozen ears!!! frozen cheeks!! Ive screamed so loud, Ive been whipped like a..had the welts too. Put the ear muffs down.face shield down.plow through daring them to slap you...try it after getting used to the helmet...wonder why you would ever not wear it..for face protection.

cut for long with a helmet then cut without....sawdust in your eyes..dust in your eyes.wonder how you ever did it before and why.Im talkin the face shield part here.

Get used to the ear protection..then try without!! wonder why you ever ran that screaming loud monster without muffs!It seems insane that you did it all your life..after your used to hearing protection..

and the warmth? I find nothing warmer than a hard hat.. a liner if needed but I feel they replace any hat/cap for warmth PLUS warm ear muffs.
MANY positive options not even discussing saving your life from head injuries..AND they are generally bright orange and could make you seen and safer where you run the risk of being hurt by NOT being seen by others..
I don't see anything but a ton of positives..Wear your helmet/faceguard/earmuffs/hearing protection/winter hat/save your life device.

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 03:38:46 pm »
Did I mention that my screen doesn't stay up on it's own anymore too? :(

Offline WUDPIRAT

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 03:53:01 pm »

First helmet was a Forester, a little cheap, ear muffs wouldn't clamp tight.
Next helmet was from LaBonnville, much better quality and the muffs fit tight.
Then my Grandson gives me a Stihl helmet and gloves, the helmet was too heavy and didn't fit my fat head. So I swaprd the Stihl for the Labonville that I had given him earlier.  I just knew he wanted a Stihl helmet to go with the  little Stihl saw he had bought (the baby saw). I just luv the gloves.
He has cut me alot of wood with his baby saw but sometimes he asks to borrow the big saw,Dolmar 7900. then I know I'm getting a load of big stuff.

Hey Meadow, don't spit with the face shield down. Don't ask. :-[

FREDM

Offline DeerMeadowFarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 05:52:23 pm »

Hey Meadow, don't spit with the face shield down. Don't ask. :-[

FREDM

Well, now it just begs to be asked!

Offline clww

• Senior Member x2
  • Oh yeah? Watch this!
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 07:09:34 pm »
I wear a hard hat. In the winter, I adjust it larger by six clicks and wear a beanie knit cap under it. Makes a world of difference. Always wear chaps. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60" Husky 372XP
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver for Millis Transfer